• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean Kennedy would be ok. But I'm just concerned that he's a product of petco?

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been scouring as many sites today as I can, and I swear, the Rangers aren't mentioned - much less rumored - to be involved with anything.

Not necessarily a bad thing. Just a boring one.
Kinda tough with all these names and teams are bandied about and not a mention of the Rangers, I must admit.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean Kennedy would be ok. But I'm just concerned that he's a product of petco?

Kennedy's best seasons were spent in Arizona. So no, Petco didn't help his numbers. He'd easily be our 3rd best starting pitcher, he's only 29, he's durable, and he has a friendly contract. I'm not sure why so many here are against acquiring him. While he's no longer TORP material, he's a very solid mid-end of rotation pitcher. He wouldn't cost us as much as Ross or Cashner either.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If both Kennedy and Colby pitch in the American League next year I think Colby would have the better season.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets face it. Any GM worth his salt is not going to throw all his cards on the table for all to see. Just not a smart move leverage wise.

I actually heard a fan on the radio today complaining that JD wasn't transparent enough. He thinks we should know exactly what JD is up to. I don't understand why a fan would want him to be transparent. That doesn't make any sense.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been scouring as many sites today as I can, and I swear, the Rangers aren't mentioned - much less rumored - to be involved with anything.

Not necessarily a bad thing. Just a boring one.

Our trades are usually ones that haven't been rumored. JD and the organization does a great job of concealing things like that.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If both Kennedy and Colby pitch in the American League next year I think Colby would have the better season.

I agree and was going to respond to Wastin that Kennedy hasn't been that great in the NL. Wait until he doesn't get an auto out every time through the line-up. He will eat up innings though.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree and was going to respond to Wastin that Kennedy hasn't been that great in the NL. Wait until he doesn't get an auto out every time through the line-up. He will eat up innings though.

I'm not sure why you would say he hasn't been all that great in the NL. Over his 5 seasons in the NL, he averaged 13 Wins, a 3.81 ERA, and 185 K per season. Now while those aren't ace-type numbers, they are quite good for a #2-3 starter. He finished with a 3.63 ERA last season, ranking him 27th in the NL right next to Hudson, Leake, Lohse, and Santana. Those are all solid #3's. Furthermore, he finished with 21 Wins, a 2.88 ERA, and 198 K just 3 seasons ago.

Also, too much gets made out of AL vs. NL. The advantage that NL pitchers have basically boils down to 2 at-bats by the pitcher per game, as pinch hitters are used from the 6th or 7th inning on in most games. Plus, pitchers today are much better hitters than they were even as recently as 2000. There are a handful of them who are not automatic outs at all.

My point is that, while I don't think Kennedy would put up spectacular numbers for the Rangers, he could easily post a 4.00 ERA and 175 K while rarely (if ever) missing his turn in the rotation. You can't say the same about Colby or Tepesch.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loria is pretending to care so he won't get run out of the game. He will dump all the high priced contracts before too long. He's scum.

And this is why I think Stanton's deal will end up being 6 years not 13, b/c Loria won't be able to trade him to someone he wants to play for b/c no one is paying those 7-13 years

He'll end up opting out and looking for a better gig, it won't be what he would get with the Marlins, but he won't go hungry either, I think the option year is only in his age 30 year, could still be looking at anywhere from a 4-6 year deal them, not 30 million a year but a nice payout... if he stays healthy, if he gets hurt just milk them for everything Loria is worth

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure why you would say he hasn't been all that great in the NL. Over his 5 seasons in the NL, he averaged 13 Wins, a 3.81 ERA, and 185 K per season. Now while those aren't ace-type numbers, they are quite good for a #2-3 starter. He finished with a 3.63 ERA last season, ranking him 27th in the NL right next to Hudson, Leake, Lohse, and Santana. Those are all solid #3's. Furthermore, he finished with 21 Wins, a 2.88 ERA, and 198 K just 3 seasons ago.

Also, too much gets made out of AL vs. NL. The advantage that NL pitchers have basically boils down to 2 at-bats by the pitcher per game, as pinch hitters are used from the 6th or 7th inning on in most games. Plus, pitchers today are much better hitters than they were even as recently as 2000. There are a handful of them who are not automatic outs at all.

My point is that, while I don't think Kennedy would put up spectacular numbers for the Rangers, he could easily post a 4.00 ERA and 175 K while rarely (if ever) missing his turn in the rotation. You can't say the same about Colby or Tepesch.

I think it goes beyond the pitchers batting. Often there will be a half of a run difference in ERA when pitchers switch leagues. The AL hitters are probably better.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it goes beyond the pitchers batting. Often there will be a half of a run difference in ERA when pitchers switch leagues. The AL hitters are probably better.

It's not just that the pitcher doesn't hit in the AL. It's that he's usually replaced with a MOTB DH, thus everyone below him moves down a spot in the order.

NL parks tend to be more pitcher friendly as well. Cincy and Philly are the only ones I can think of that's really hitter friendly.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just that the pitcher doesn't hit in the AL. It's that he's usually replaced with a MOTB DH, thus everyone below him moves down a spot in the order.

NL parks tend to be more pitcher friendly as well. Cincy and Philly are the only ones I can think of that's really hitter friendly.

I know that had to have been a brain fart...How could you forget Colorado?

Also D'Backs, Wrigley, Dodger, and Miller park. Lots of favorable hitter parks in the NL recently.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is an article at FanDuel showing the results of a study done on pitcherswho pitched in both the AL and NL in the same year between 2000 and 2010 and it showed about what I had thought. Pitchers shaved .45 runs from their ERA when pitching in the NL versus the AL. So a pitcher having an ERA of 3.55 in the NL could reasonably be expected to have an ERA of 4.00 in the AL.

https://www.fanduel.com/insider/2011/08/02/the-impact-of-switching-leagues-for-pitchers/