• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been several stories in the local media spelling out what they are going to spend based on them talking to JD. That is how we know. The last I read the budget is supposed to be about $134 million and the 9 guys they currently have signed plus the three arbitration eligible guys(I am not including Rosales) should make somewhere in the $117 million range. If Kennedy gets $10.3 that brings the total up to $127.3. That leaves $7 million for the other 12 guys and that is not even factoring in the fact that we will need to pay 26 guys since Harrison no doubt starts the season on the DL.

That is why I don't listen to these rumors about the Rangers. They never take into consideration the Rangers budget constraints.

Offseason Outlook: Texas Rangers ? MLB Trade Rumors

Big-market Rangers short on funds this off-season | Texas Rangers | Texas Rangers News and Vi...

you should know by now that JD is the master of misdirection

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you should know by now that JD is the master of misdirection

He is a master of fooling the media because he is so hush hush about so many topics. In this one he has been anything but hush hush. The misdirection comes from folks(media) putting out the misinformation via rumors.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a master of fooling the media because he is so hush hush about so many topics. In this one he has been anything but hush hush. The misdirection comes from folks(media) putting out the misinformation via rumors.

JD has said several times over the years something along the lines of, "We're not in a position to add more payroll.... We don't really expect to make any big moves... We don't expect to be players for xyz player", and you piss and moan about it. Then, bam, moves get made. I swear we've had this conversation many times before.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buster Olney's take of 2015.

AL West

Houston Astros: Only a year or two away from being contenders. The Astros are making significant progress toward and should get at least close to .500 in 2015. Top-of-rotation prospect Mark Appel should arrive sometime in 2015, and when shortstop prospect Carlos Correa arrives sometime in 2016 or 2017, the Astros should be ready to be perennial contenders.

Los Angeles Angels: Legit World Series contenders. The emergence of Garrett Richards and Matt Shoemaker filled out the rotation, and the lineup is just fine. They could use bounce-back years from Josh Hamilton and C.J. Wilson, though, and they're hoping Tyler Skaggs returns successfully from Tommy John surgery at some point in 2015.

Oakland Athletics: Still legit playoff contenders. They've taken a beating via free agency, but that won't stop them from contending again in '15. They still have a strong, controllable starting rotation, and could get Jarrod Parker and A.J. Griffin back from their Tommy John surgeries in 2015. They just need a middle-of-the-order bat and a possible replacement for Lowrie.

Seattle Mariners: Their time has finally arrived. The Mariners are just one big impact bat -- to put between Robinson Cano and Kyle Seager -- away from being a playoff contender in 2015. Their starting rotation has a chance to be special, especially if James Paxton and Taijuan Walker live up to their potential.

Texas Rangers: Seeking to rebound in 2015. No rebuilding here; the Rangers are simply hoping to have a healthy team next year after being decimated with injuries in 2014. They still need to upgrade in left field and behind the plate and need another starting pitcher, and they'll likely try to solve those deficiencies via trade rather than free agency.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD has said several times over the years something along the lines of, "We're not in a position to add more payroll.... We don't really expect to make any big moves... We don't expect to be players for xyz player", and you piss and moan about it. Then, bam, moves get made. I swear we've had this conversation many times before.

Not expecting to be players for a particular player and stating what your payroll will be are two compltely different things. Not expecting to make moves isn't nearly as specific as we are keeping the budget the same as last season.

I am open to listen to specific examples where he lied to us in the past about payroll in an offseason since current ownership arrived.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"According to a major league source who had seen the terms, Stanton's salaries over those first three seasons will be only $6.5 million in 2015, $9 million in 2016 and $14.5 million in 2017, far less than he could have earned through arbitration in 2015 and 2016 and then via free agency. He would earn $77 million over the next three seasons and could opt out of the contract after 2020, following his age 30 season.

So the Marlins would be on the hook for only $107 million of the deal over the first six seasons, which computes to an average annual value of just $17.83 million per season before Stanton would have the right to exercise the opt-out clause."

Somehow I see this being essentially a 6 year deal, unless Stanton gets hurt or something and opts in for the last 7 so he still gets his money

B/C its the Marlins they will put the most horrendous team on the field if they feel it will compel Stanton to not opt in the last 7 years, b/c lets be fair, if he's healthy he'll still get paid, maybe not as much but he'll get to pick his next stop

Last edited by a moderator:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not expecting to be players for a particular player and stating what your payroll will be are two compltely different things. Not expecting to make moves isn't nearly as specific as we are keeping the budget the same as last season.

I am open to listen to specific examples where he lied to us in the past about payroll in an offseason since current ownership arrived.
I'm not sure JD ever lied. But quite sure he doesn't tell all either. Why would he talk to the media in specific details about figures? The owners don't want to air their finances to the media. Really doubt JD is completely on the level.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buster Olney's take of 2015.

AL West

Houston Astros: Only a year or two away from being contenders. The Astros are making significant progress toward and should get at least close to .500 in 2015. Top-of-rotation prospect Mark Appel should arrive sometime in 2015, and when shortstop prospect Carlos Correa arrives sometime in 2016 or 2017, the Astros should be ready to be perennial contenders.

Los Angeles Angels: Legit World Series contenders. The emergence of Garrett Richards and Matt Shoemaker filled out the rotation, and the lineup is just fine. They could use bounce-back years from Josh Hamilton and C.J. Wilson, though, and they're hoping Tyler Skaggs returns successfully from Tommy John surgery at some point in 2015.

Oakland Athletics: Still legit playoff contenders. They've taken a beating via free agency, but that won't stop them from contending again in '15. They still have a strong, controllable starting rotation, and could get Jarrod Parker and A.J. Griffin back from their Tommy John surgeries in 2015. They just need a middle-of-the-order bat and a possible replacement for Lowrie.

Seattle Mariners: Their time has finally arrived. The Mariners are just one big impact bat -- to put between Robinson Cano and Kyle Seager -- away from being a playoff contender in 2015. Their starting rotation has a chance to be special, especially if James Paxton and Taijuan Walker live up to their potential.

Texas Rangers: Seeking to rebound in 2015. No rebuilding here; the Rangers are simply hoping to have a healthy team next year after being decimated with injuries in 2014. They still need to upgrade in left field and behind the plate and need another starting pitcher, and they'll likely try to solve those deficiencies via trade rather than free agency.

At what point do the baseball geniuses out there stop expecting a "bounce-back" season from Hamilton? How many miserable seasons in a row does he have to put up before they realize he's mentally fried and his skill set has eroded? We're at 3 and counting now. While we're at it, the Rangers want Colby Lewis to return to 2011 form and for 2006 Michael Young to suit up and hit 2nd.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At what point do the baseball geniuses out there stop expecting a "bounce-back" season from Hamilton? How many miserable seasons in a row does he have to put up before they realize he's mentally fried and his skill set has eroded? We're at 3 and counting now. While we're at it, the Rangers want Colby Lewis to return to 2011 form and for 2006 Michael Young to suit up and hit 2nd.

Actually the Rangers would be more than pleased if Colby pitched 2015 like he did his last 2 months of 2014.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The A's and Billy Butler? Seems like an odd fit.

More than odd to me. And they're talking about 3 years at $ 10 mil per.

If the Rangers were contemplating this offer I'd not be pleased, I'll promise ya that.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This from MLB trade rumors:

For the A’s, Butler would represent something of a curious addition, or at least one that could warrant corresponding moves. The team already recently added Kyle Blanks to serve as a right-handed power option at first, DH, and (to a lesser extent, perhaps) in the corner outfield. And Blanks is joined by a fellow recent trade addition, Craig Gentry, as right-handed platoon/bench bat capable of playing the corner outfield. It would certainly seem all but impossible for the team to keep each of those players, add Butler, and maintain two left-handed hitting outfield pieces (Josh Reddick and Sam Fuld) on top of three catching/first base/DH options (Derek Norris, John Jaso, and Stephen Vogt) on the active roster.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More than odd to me. And they're talking about 3 years at $ 10 mil per.

If the Rangers were contemplating this offer I'd not be pleased, I'll promise ya that.

I would be mad...the A's already have a better version of Butler in Brandon Moss.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Lucas had a very detailed report today about the annual 40 man roster conundrum. Here is part of the report.

"In parentheses after each name is the year the player signed and his draft round or "IFA" for international free agent.

CERTAIN ADDITIONS
C Jorge Alfaro (2010/IFA)
Alfaro falls squarely into the "not ready but too good to leave unprotected" category.

RHP Luke Jackson (2010/1s)
His rough introduction to AAA decreased the likelihood of addition by 0.01% (rounded up).
LIKELY RHP Jerad Eickhoff (2011/15)
Before Texas commenced Operation Call Up in August, I had mixed feelings about adding Eickhoff to the 40, primarily because I had to draw a line somewhere. (Would Texas add eight players in November? Ten? Fourteen?) Now, I'm more confident he'll be added. While he's not MLB-ready right now -- indeed, a few more starts in AA might be in order -- I don't think he'd be overwhelmed, and he could be drafted and employed in long relief.

POSSIBLE (no more than two of these four, probably just one)

OF Jared Hoying (2010/10)
Of my four "possibles," Hoying is the most likely to stick on a roster next April. Texas's fourth 20 HR /20 SB minor leaguer of the 2000s has power, speed and can play any outfield spot proficiently. A comfortable addition, yes? His problem is OBP. Hoying has a vanilla .267 average and below-average 6% walk rate in AA/AAA, and much of his success in 2014 occurred in the Pacific Coast League's western, hitter-friendly parks. Also, if the Rangers believed he had a future with them, wouldn't they have already given him a test run during a 95-loss season? Or, perhaps Hoying is an example of the paradox I mentioned: management thinks he has a shot but has to conserve 40-man spots, so it will try to keep him by forcing other teams to accept or decline a bigger bet that he can maintain a 25-man spot all season. I do think Hoying has an MLB paycheck coming his way. I just don't know how many, or whether the Rangers will be signing them.

2B/LF Odubel Herrera (2008/IFA)
That Herrera is more than an afterthought is amazing. He was justly ignored as a first-time eligible in last year's draft and began 2014 as a DH-first utility player in high-A. Herrera improved on defense, not only reclaiming second base but playing it reasonably well. He also led the Texas League in batting average as a 22-year-old. On the downside, Herrera was moved off shortstop two years ago for good reason and doesn't offer much offensively besides contact. So, if his bat can't handle a regular role, he's a singles-oriented backup that can't play short. That's an awkward fit on an MLB roster with 12 pitchers. I suppose his improvement at second might warrant another shot at short, and he's played some center field down in Venezuela.

IF Hanser Alberto (2009/IFA)
Alberto won a minor league gold glove at shortstop, can play elsewhere on the infield and hit better in a second tilt at Texas League pitching. He rarely strikes out and can put almost anything in play, which isn't always beneficial. His willingness to swing at anything and still make contact has resulted in a .266 average in the US, and his walk rate is beyond the pale. Joey Gallo and Preston Beck drew more walks this season (87 and 80, respectively) than Alberto has in his 480-game career (71). Alberto has a solid hit tool, but right now, even as a bench player, his bat would be ill-suited to the Major Leagues.

LHP Will Lamb (2011/2)
By the end of 2013, Lamb was being stretched out and using a very low three-quarter slot. Armed with a higher delivery, velocity up to 97 MPH and shorter usage patterns, Lamb upgraded from project to prospect this season. Unfortunately, even with his newfound success, Lamb's control has ranged from below average to poor. Lamb posted a 1.09 ERA in Frisco, yet he walked or hit 20% of opposing batters. Nothing he throws rates above average. Still, "hard-throwing lefty with shaky control" is an archetypical Rule 5 pick, and if he's unprotected, a team that sees the upside could nab him."

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure JD ever lied. But quite sure he doesn't tell all either. Why would he talk to the media in specific details about figures? The owners don't want to air their finances to the media. Really doubt JD is completely on the level.

No, he doesn't tell all. Not even close. He did tell us what to expect for the budgeted amount for player's payroll. As far as the rest of the owner's finances he didn't shed any light on those things whatsoever. As far as why he would speak about specific figures, I guess he has nothing to hide where payroll is concerned and wants fans to not have unrealistic expectations. From what I have read the organization is cutting costs in lots of areas and JD has not addressed those things at all.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is Jamey Newberg's synopsis of JD's radio interview yesterday.

"(1) Daniels believes Jurickson Profar is 95 percent healthy, with the caveat that he has had good diagnostics in the past before reinjuring himself once he started his throwing program — he should begin stretching things out this time in late December or early January; (2) assessing his rotation needs, Daniels said that behind Yu Darvish and Derek Holland, he has some level of confidence that Colby Lewis will return to slot in toward the back of the rotation, and would like to have an open competition for another spot, leaving one job to fill externally, likely via trade — but he also said he might look to acquire two starting pitchers rather than just one; (3) Martin Perez’s timetable has him making rehab starts in June and returning to the big leagues in July, assuming no setbacks; and (4) the potential match the Rangers and Padres have in terms of trade possibilities doesn’t end with Daniels’s relationship with A.J. Preller and Preller’s familiarity with the Rangers’ farm system — Daniels noted that the Texas system is producing players other teams want (he did add that San Diego is probably least likely of any club “to pick the wrong guy” from the Rangers), and the Padres have pitching and catching depth, and as a result the clubs could line up on a trade."

San Diego being the least likely to "pick the wrong guy" is something worth remembering when considering who we might trade with.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More from Jamey regarding trade rumors:

" According to Ken Rosenthal (Fox Sports), Texas and Kansas City are among the clubs interested in San Diego righthander Ian Kennedy (though the Royals “might not match up with the Padres, who are looking for offense”), while Dennis Lin (San Diego Union-Tribune) suggests Kennedy might “not [be] an ideal fit” for Texas, as a flyball pitcher with only one year of remaining control. Lin hears the Rangers “might like Kennedy but have heard he’s lower than [Andrew] Cashner/[Tyson] Ross on their list.”

[FONT=&quot] "Rob Rogacki (Bless You Boys) reports that the Tigers “may be shopping David Price” this winter, looking instead to retain free agent Max Scherzer. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]· Rosenthal also reports that Baltimore might be willing to trade righthander Bud Norris, in whom Texas has been rumored to have interest in the past. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]· As far as Cole Hamels is concerned, Buster Olney (ESPN) tweets that many clubs are finding “Philadelphia’s asks on their players to be greatly overpriced within the context of the current market, as [was the case] in July.” Nick Cafardo (Boston Globe) reports that the Red Sox “have shot down a couple of proposals already” on Hamels. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]· Calvin Watkins (ESPN Dallas) reports that Texas has “casual interest” in free agent righthander Josh Johnson, who is coming back from Tommy John surgery. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]· Jerry Crasnick (ESPN) identifies six teams interested in free agent righthander Justin Masterson “as [a] bounce-back candidate on a one- or possible two-year contract,” but Texas isn’t one of them."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Gerry Fraley:

"Right-hander Alexi Ogando is scheduled to make his first appearance in the Dominican Republic winter league on Friday night as a reliever with Toros del Este."

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, he doesn't tell all. Not even close. He did tell us what to expect for the budgeted amount for player's payroll. As far as the rest of the owner's finances he didn't shed any light on those things whatsoever. As far as why he would speak about specific figures, I guess he has nothing to hide where payroll is concerned and wants fans to not have unrealistic expectations. From what I have read the organization is cutting costs in lots of areas and JD has not addressed those things at all.

you say he doesn't tell all or even close and then you buy every word about the payroll. if he has told us all and has been know to pull the wool over everyone's eyes then why are you so quick to buy his budget comments? until i see the finished 2015 product i like most will take anything he says with a grain of salt