• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hitzges take:

Regarding the 40 man.......Ogando is gone, due to cost/injury/lack of production......MM is still cheap/excellent fielder and he stays.

FA or trade: No Russell Martin, for 4 years at $48 mil.......Soto maybe.........Melky will get 4+ years. Not interested......No on Lester, Shields, Max........Targets would be Masterson, Liranio, McCarthy.

I was a little disappointed he didn't spend a little more time on this. Oh well.

I think I'm going to throw up. What is JDs obsession with Brandon McCarthy? I don't see the upside. Gets hurt too much. MM has had too many chances already, at the minimum don't make him an everyday starter please.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the update donaldson. I do not mind trying to get McCarthy. He did a very good job for the Yankees. Liriano from what I understand is a groundball pitcher so that could work well in our park.

It is being said that McCarthy will get 3 or 4 years at about $13 million per year. I, like Norm, don't expect the Rangers want to pay that much and there is no way I give McCarthy more than a 1 or 2 year deal with his injury history. 3 of the last 4 years that Liriano spent in the American League he had an ERA over 5.00 so I think I would pass on him. Masterson is coming off of a terrible year so I would pass on him as well. He has had two impressive seasons out of the last six seasons. There is a lot of wishing and hoping involved with those guys, especially the last two. I can wish and hope with Tepesch, Martinez and Bonilla.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on what I've seen of Smols & Rua I wouldn't have a problem giving them a shot at LF & 1B and DHing Fielder

There's also Choice (after some intensive OF work with the coaches)

I agree with you on seeing what Smolinski and Rua can do since they performed well at the end of the season. And you are right on Choice needing more work in the OF so he may be better off starting the year at AAA.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I'm going to throw up. What is JDs obsession with Brandon McCarthy? I don't see the upside. Gets hurt too much. MM has had too many chances already, at the minimum don't make him an everyday starter please.

I think you are mistaking the media's obsession with the Rangers signing McCarthy with JD being obsessed with him. Those are Norm's thoughts and Norm doesn't have any inside information. He has opinions like all of us. A lot of media types are putting McCarthy together with the Rangers, but almost all rumors like that regarding the Rangers usually prove false.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on what I've seen of Smols & Rua I wouldn't have a problem giving them a shot at LF & 1B and DHing Fielder

There's also Choice (after some intensive OF work with the coaches)

I would love to see that scenario unfold

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is being said that McCarthy will get 3 or 4 years at about $13 million per year. I, like Norm, don't expect the Rangers want to pay that much and there is no way I give McCarthy more than a 1 or 2 year deal with his injury history. 3 of the last 4 years that Liriano spent in the American League he had an ERA over 5.00 so I think I would pass on him. Masterson is coming off of a terrible year so I would pass on him as well. He has had two impressive seasons out of the last six seasons. There is a lot of wishing and hoping involved with those guys, especially the last two. I can wish and hope with Tepesch, Martinez and Bonilla.

I have not heard any dollar figures but I would not want to go more than 2 years on McCarthy as well. Masterson I just flat out do not care for which is why I never mentioned him. Liriano I am on the fence. One of his bad seasons was his first year back from Tommy John. And like McCarthy you do have to worry about his health.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Mazara, Williams and Gallo have great seasons next year where do they fit in on this team in 2016 and whose places do they take? Would the Rangers attempt to trade Choo? I guess it would depend on how whoever they use in LF in 2015 plays and if Beltre's option for 2016 vests. I5t is going to be very interesting to see how the next 12-14 months plays out.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Mazara, Williams and Gallo have great seasons next year where do they fit in on this team in 2016 and whose places do they take? Would the Rangers attempt to trade Choo? I guess it would depend on how whoever they use in LF in 2015 plays and if Beltre's option for 2016 vests. I5t is going to be very interesting to see how the next 12-14 months plays out.

I could see Gallo, Mazara, Alfaro, Thompson & Chi Chi all in Arlington (in some form) in 2016.

I'll put it this way - I'd rather see them then...and NOT next year. They all still need development time. Especially Williams. He needs to fix the massive holes in his swing...

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hitzges take:

Regarding the 40 man.......Ogando is gone, due to cost/injury/lack of production......MM is still cheap/excellent fielder and he stays.

FA or trade: No Russell Martin, for 4 years at $48 mil.......Soto maybe.........Melky will get 4+ years. Not interested......No on Lester, Shields, Max........Targets would be Masterson, Liranio, McCarthy.

I was a little disappointed he didn't spend a little more time on this. Oh well.

Like others on here, I'm not really interested in any of these guys at the price/years it will cost. I think we get a MORP through trade and maybe pick up a veteran also. Liriano got a QO offer so there's no way I'm giving him a lucrative contract while giving up our 2nd round pick. What if we need to sign a bat? Then we give up our 2nd and 3rd. No thanks, unless it's for one of the top 3.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only FA I really have any interest in pursuing is McCarthy or comparable rotation piece, but no more than a 2 year commitment, maybe a 1 year with an option, but I believe that McCarthy can get a better deal than we would be comfortable offering

If we make a rotation move I believe it will be a trade

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like others on here, I'm not really interested in any of these guys at the price/years it will cost. I think we get a MORP through trade and maybe pick up a veteran also. Liriano got a QO offer so there's no way I'm giving him a lucrative contract while giving up our 2nd round pick. What if we need to sign a bat? Then we give up our 2nd and 3rd. No thanks, unless it's for one of the top 3.

Forgot that he received a QO. So definitely forget about him.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not you. Getting harder. Decided to watch
The Replacements tonight.

I give up.....I'm getting softer....what can I say?

Re: playing GM......I think some forget regardless of what he (other GM's say) and it may totally be true and honest to what their intent is.....then the phone rings and the landscape changes.

It's not necessarily BS b/c of the stance they took, or what was said, or how the organization views itself moving forward.

Then the fucking phone rang. Changed everything.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

we have no money so we should just go with what we used last year

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give up.....I'm getting softer....what can I say?

Re: playing GM......I think some forget regardless of what he (other GM's say) and it may totally be true and honest to what their intent is.....then the phone rings and the landscape changes.

It's not necessarily BS b/c of the stance they took, or what was said, or how the organization views itself moving forward.

Then the fucking phone rang. Changed everything.
Got ya.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give him a break Scottie. I don't think that is what he's saying. More like spend your money wisely. And remember it's only an opinion and we all have them. You would be LYAO if you read more of mine brilliant ideas.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Serious lack of quality free agents that we have a use for that are worth the price in money and/or draft picks

Spend your money wisely, allow the young guys to develop, only way to do that is give them a chance, this is the same strategy that got us to back to back World Series, just need some of the young guys to pan out