• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was under the impression that any interest we had was from a starters standpoint. Can't imagine we'd have any interest in him as a reliever.

Exactly, and I wouldn't want him as a starter because he simply isn't very good overall as a starter.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know why there was so much chatter about Masterson to begin with. :noidea:

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know why there was so much chatter about Masterson to begin with. :noidea:

It is local guys like Evan Grant and Calvin Watkins who keep his name out there as a potential pickup. I am sure some of the national guys are saying it as well. There have been some fans as well on these boards at times.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF Masterson is still out there and no one has picked him up come February, then I'd sign him cheap or on a ST invite, that's about it, extra arms especially those who have shown an ability to be effective as a starter and log innings are ok to me, but I certainly wouldn't get in a bidding war over him

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way I'd pay sign Masterson is if we gave him a 1 year deal that gives him a chance to rebuild his value. He would at least give us some depth. Maybe he has one of his good years.

I said about a week or so ago that I think JD takes care of one of the rotation spots quickly. It looks like by his comments yesterday that he aims to trade for one during the winter meetings. That could change the landscape completely.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trade market figures to be a greater focus for president of baseball operations John Hart and assistant GM John Coppolella than the free agent market this offseason, writes MLB.com’s Mark Bowman. Hart and Coppolella figure to spend some of their time at next week’s GM Meetings getting a feel for what type of return they could attain were they to trade Heyward, Justin Upton or Evan Gattis. Additionally, they’ll likely once again try to determine if there’s a creative way to rid themselves of B.J. Upton‘s contract

Anyone still interested in Justin Upton?

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trade market figures to be a greater focus for president of baseball operations John Hart and assistant GM John Coppolella than the free agent market this offseason, writes MLB.com’s Mark Bowman. Hart and Coppolella figure to spend some of their time at next week’s GM Meetings getting a feel for what type of return they could attain were they to trade Heyward, Justin Upton or Evan Gattis. Additionally, they’ll likely once again try to determine if there’s a creative way to rid themselves of B.J. Upton‘s contract

Anyone still interested in Justin Upton?

Not sure that is where we need to spend 14.5 mill of our available dollars right now. We have enough money going out to position players. Like to roll with Smolinski and Rua instead of thinking the grass is always greener on the other side. Not saying that is what you are stating in opening up this discussion. I am just saying we all have a habit of doing this including myself. We need to trust some of our youth we have coming up mixed in with the veterans we already have. If something really jumps out there then fine. So I am not interested.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas Rangers third baseman Adrian Beltre won a 2014 Silver Slugger Award, the fourth of his career.
Beltre has been the AL's Silver Slugger award winner at third base in three of the last five seasons.
Beltre’s four career Silver Slugger Awards are the most of any of the 18 players selected for the 2014 A.L. and N.L. Louisville Slugger Silver Slugger Awards.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blake Beavan elected to chose free agency today. Yeah, that Cliff Lee trade turned out pretty bad for the Rangers. LOL!

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to Beltre for winning the silver slugger. He's a pro.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure that is where we need to spend 14.5 mill of our available dollars right now. We have enough money going out to position players. Like to roll with Smolinski and Rua instead of thinking the grass is always greener on the other side. Not saying that is what you are stating in opening up this discussion. I am just saying we all have a habit of doing this including myself. We need to trust some of our youth we have coming up mixed in with the veterans we already have. If something really jumps out there then fine. So I am not interested.

I'm leaning this way too. I was the one calling for us to call up Rua so no reason not to stick by him now after he produced. He deserves a chance next year. Smolinski played well, but I need to see him do it again. I guess that goes for both of them. My problem with this plan is we have barely any power coming from our OF. We would need to add a DH with some pop IMO.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm leaning this way too. I was the one calling for us to call up Rua so no reason not to stick by him now after he produced. He deserves a chance next year. Smolinski played well, but I need to see him do it again. I guess that goes for both of them. My problem with this plan is we have barely any power coming from our OF. We would need to add a DH with some pop IMO.

Not if Rua is playing 1B and Fielder is DH, which is what I would find preferable

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true, but in that plan I would want to add an LF. I'm not ready to hand it to Smo or Choice.

Not really a whole lot of good options anyway, maybe a trade, but I'm not a fan of overpaying for a Braves OFer

I wouldn't mind Heyward but the Braves would want too much, and I have no interest in Upton

Last edited by a moderator:

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really a whole lot of good options anyway, maybe a trade, but I'm not a fan of overpaying for a Braves OFer

I wouldn't mind Heyward but the Braves would want too much, and I have no interest in Upton

What are your thoughts on Marlon Byrd as an option?