• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was only using Scherzer as an example, not that we would specifically trade Elvis and then use that exact amount of money to sign Scherzer. But for Elvis money + a little extra we could absolutely sign a top 2 caliber starter.

As for the whole "can't take a gamble on Profar" reasoning, there are other SS out there who could play the position for us at a fraction of the cost of Elvis should Profar not pan out. There are several from just last season alone who had better numbers than Elvis at a far lower salary hit. Look at the offensive and defensive numbers and then tell me that Elvis is worth tens of millions more than a Brandon Crawford or a Kolten Wong or even a Jed Lowrie.

If it is that easy to find a good SS then does that mean the Rangers philosophy of loading up on middle infielder prospects due to their being valuable is a bad philosophy? Why don't the Dodgers simply go get one of those guys if they are better options than Elvis?

We have tried throwing money at top 2 pitchers before and we haven't had success.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about especially for Crawford? That's what I heard on the radio today during Blasick's segment on the fan.

I wouldn't want Crawford on this team for fucking free! Seriously

I heard that too. There's no way that's happening. The guy making that claim asked his co-worker to look up Elvis if he didn't know who he was. If they want to give us a MORP and Joc for starters then I would listen. They also have a highly ranked SS. I can't think of his name.

Bacsik's take on Profar didn't have me feeling very good. He thinks his career is in real danger and thinks there's a strong chance he'll never play again.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard that too. There's no way that's happening. The guy making that claim asked his co-worker to look up Elvis if he didn't know who he was. If they want to give us a MORP and Joc for starters then I would listen. They also have a highly ranked SS. I can't think of his name.

Bacsik's take on Profar didn't have me feeling very good. He thinks his career is in real danger and thinks there's a strong chance he'll never play again.[/QUOTE]

I don't remember the guy's name either. But I do remember he's at AA and him saying he's the real deal.

However, Bacsik also said today the two guys he'd aim at are Masterson and Hunter. His suggestion of Masterson at $3 mil and lots of incentives seemed at least "semi-reasonable" to me. But I, for the life of me, don't understand his take on Hunter in RF for the next 2 years.

So overall, I'm not sure I put a lot of faith in whatever the Bassman is proposing/predicting for Profar.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it is that easy to find a good SS then does that mean the Rangers philosophy of loading up on middle infielder prospects due to their being valuable is a bad philosophy? Why don't the Dodgers simply go get one of those guys if they are better options than Elvis?

We have tried throwing money at top 2 pitchers before and we haven't had success.

No, finding a top middle infielder is a great philosophy. I don't consider Elvis to be great. I think the Rangers have a great philosophy in stockpiling SS prospects. Teams are always looking for middle infield help. By having a surplus, you can trade off the most expendable one for a good return (notice I didn't say just any return). For the $$ involved, Elvis to me would be the one to trade first.

As for why the Dodgers would trade for Elvis instead of signing a cheaper alternative, I would think that answer would be obvious. They're the Dodgers. They have limitless funds and don't care about how much a player's salary is. Elvis is still a better overall SS than most, at least in terms of his talent and ceiling. So in a world where salaries don't matter, then an albatross contract like his doesn't matter. That is the world in which the Dodgers play. Unfortunately, the Rangers and about 27 other teams DO have to worry about salaries and how/where they invest their money. So being able to roll with a Lowrie, a Hardy, a Crawford, etc. at SS for far less than Elvis makes and instead investing that money in a TORP or a cleanup hitter makes more sense, especially when those "lesser" SS can give you similar production to Elvis.

There's a reason why the only team you're hearing about willing to take on the Elvis contract is the Dodgers.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Mike Bacsik on The Fan this afternoon talking about the rumor coming out of LA that the Dodgers are interested in Elvis. He said the rumor says they would be offering Crawford who is basically a platoon OF who makes over $20 million per year.

No way I make that deal. I'm all for trading Elvis, but not for over-priced garbage like Crawford. Now if Joc Pederson is involved, ok. Maaaayyyybe Matt Kemp plus other players or financials beneficial to the Rangers involved. But Elvis for Crawford straight up is laughable and would make the Prince Fielder trade look like a steal by comparison.

Carl Crawford is essentially the OF version of Elvis minus the durability and the glove. He doesn't even have the speed of Elvis anymore. No. No way.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bacsik's take on Profar didn't have me feeling very good. He thinks his career is in real danger and thinks there's a strong chance he'll never play again.[/QUOTE]

I don't remember the guy's name either. But I do remember he's at AA and him saying he's the real deal.

However, Bacsik also said today the two guys he'd aim at are Masterson and Hunter. His suggestion of Masterson at $3 mil and lots of incentives seemed at least "semi-reasonable" to me. But I, for the life of me, don't understand his take on Hunter in RF for the next 2 years.

overall, I'm not suSore I put a lot of faith in whatever the Bassman is proposing/predicting for Profar.
Would much rather he tell us what he knows and not what he thinks.

Last edited by a moderator:

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bacsik's take on Profar didn't have me feeling very good. He thinks his career is in real danger and thinks there's a strong chance he'll never play again.

That's the first I've ever heard anyone saying Profar might never play again. That seems way out there if you ask me. Maybe he's the only one clued in and I just haven't been listening to the right sources. But the worst I've heard about Profar is that his injury set his career back and that he might not be a bona fide star some day, not that he was done for good.

If he is in fact finished for good, then obviously keeping Elvis becomes a much more ideal move, bloated contract and all.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, finding a top middle infielder is a great philosophy. I don't consider Elvis to be great. I think the Rangers have a great philosophy in stockpiling SS prospects. Teams are always looking for middle infield help. By having a surplus, you can trade off the most expendable one for a good return (notice I didn't say just any return). For the $$ involved, Elvis to me would be the one to trade first.

As for why the Dodgers would trade for Elvis instead of signing a cheaper alternative, I would think that answer would be obvious. They're the Dodgers. They have limitless funds and don't care about how much a player's salary is. Elvis is still a better overall SS than most, at least in terms of his talent and ceiling. So in a world where salaries don't matter, then an albatross contract like his doesn't matter. That is the world in which the Dodgers play. Unfortunately, the Rangers and about 27 other teams DO have to worry about salaries and how/where they invest their money. So being able to roll with a Lowrie, a Hardy, a Crawford, etc. at SS for far less than Elvis makes and instead investing that money in a TORP or a cleanup hitter makes more sense, especially when those "lesser" SS can give you similar production to Elvis.

There's a reason why the only team you're hearing about willing to take on the Elvis contract is the Dodgers.

Will.....buddy.......has there ever been a player who perplexed and confused you as much as EA?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way I make that deal. I'm all for trading Elvis, but not for over-priced garbage like Crawford. Now if Joc Pederson is involved, ok. Maaaayyyybe Matt Kemp plus other players or financials beneficial to the Rangers involved. But Elvis for Crawford straight up is laughable and would make the Prince Fielder trade look like a steal by comparison.

Carl Crawford is essentially the OF version of Elvis minus the durability and the glove. He doesn't even have the speed of Elvis anymore. No. No way.

Honestly.....IMO I wouldn't give ya an Emeril cookbook, and ten lbs of crawfish for Crawford.

He'd take a spot on the 40 man roster which we can't absorb.

Actually thought Basick's take on how JD might react to that offer was pretty humorous.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly.....IMO I wouldn't give ya an Emeril cookbook, and ten lbs of crawfish for Crawford.

He'd take a spot on the 40 man roster which we can't absorb.

Actually thought Basick's take on how JD might react to that offer was pretty humorous.
10 lbs is out of the question. Not even one mullet.:yahoo:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you all are making me hungry.

Found this tweet interesting:
5h5 hours ago Phillies might be favorites for Yasmani Tomas, but Rangers are still in play.
That is interesting. Wonder how close we are to Philly in competition?

Last edited by a moderator:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No cutting in line sir. :pound:

You gearing up for "you're" big game tomorrow?

Hell no. I'll be in a fucking class during the game. How in the hell is this an 11:00 start?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is interesting. Wonder how close we are to Philly in competition?

I don't even know how they can keep saying this, Tomas is said to be seeking somewhere near a 100 million dollar contract. Unless the owners have agreed to greatly expand the budget or know something we don't about trading one of their huge salary commitments, I just don't see how it would even be possible. That said wouldn't 100 million be much better spent on pitching, to me thats what makes sense

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Carl Crawford has a career OPS of .770 EA .680

Not saying he would have a .770 going forward but he's always been a better hitter than Elvis.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guilder Rodriguez, who made his major-league debut at age 31 with the Texas Rangers this season, is among 21 players from the organization who took minor-league free agency.

Outfielder Engel Beltre and right-hander Willmer Font, who never moved beyond prospect status, are also among the group.

All were eligible because they have played seven professional seasons and were not on the Rangers’ 40-man roster. The Rangers expect to re-sign Rodriguez and use him in a player-coach role in the minors.

A look at the minor-league free agents from the Rangers:

PITCHERS: Alfredo Figaro, Pedro Figueroa, Wilmer Font, Erik Hamren, Chad James, Francisco Mendoza, Scott Richmond and Zack Segovia.

CATCHERS: Kevin Torres, J.R. Towles and J.T. Wise.

INFIELDERS: Alex Buchholz, Jason Donald, Edwin Garcia, Brent Lillibridge, Ed Lucas, Guilder Rodriguez,

OUTFIELDERS: Engel Beltre, Cory Patton, Bryan Petersen.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn.....according to Sportsnaut

Lester will go to the Cubs, Max to the Angels, Shields/Melky to Seattle, Cruz with the O's, and Vic Martinez to the A's.

Seems like our division is going to make a splash according to this site.