• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The Rangers also announced on Friday that Triple-A Round Rock manager Steve Buechele has been promoted to bench coach under new Texas manager Jeff Banister, while Hector Ortiz is joining the staff as the first-base coach. Ortiz will also handle the catching instruction at the Major League level.Bullpen coach Andy Hawkins is also returning for a seventh season. He and Maddux have been working closely since they took their current positions going into the 2009 season. Bobby Jones will return for his second season as assistant hitting coach under Magadan."

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers are 15th.

The bar graphs reflect the average points given by the voters for each category.

The Overview
The front office went into the offseason believing that a turnaround could happen quickly following its "Murphy's Law" 2014 season. But Yu Darvish and Derek Holland will have to be healthy, and Prince Fielder and Shin-Soo Choo must prove they aren't money pits. -- Buster Olney

The Dilemma
The Rangers need to improve a starting rotation that finished 28th in the majors with a miserable 4.75 ERA. Yu Darvish and Derek Holland anchor the top of it, but the team needs at least three more reliable and productive options to follow them. -- Jim Bowden

New guys
Nomar Mazara raised a lot of eyebrows when the Rangers gave him $5 million in 2010, but he was one of this year's biggest breakout prospects, hitting .271/.362/.478 between low-A and Double-A, and he won't turn 20 until April. -- Keith Law

1. Dodgers
2. Cardinals
3. Red Sox
4. Cubs
5. Nationals
6. Pirates
7. Yankees
8. Giants
9. Orioles
10. Mets
11. Royals
12. Angels
13. Tigers
14. Mariners
Thanks Xx. Wow, how the mighty have fallen. A's not even in the top 15. 4th in the west. Hope that part comes true.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1m1 minute ago #Rangers have not been able to reach agreement with Colby Lewis on deal. He will test market. Door for return remains open.

Opppps!

From listening to JD yesterday on the radio he seemed to hint that that might happen. JD is usually a straight shooter in those interviews.

Last edited by a moderator:

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From listening to JD yesterday on the radio he seemed to hint that that might happen. JD is usually a straight shooter in those interviews.
I don't know, Bennie. Just sense we've seen the last of Colby.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone interested in bringing back Gerald Laird to be a backup catcher? He would probably be cheap.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, Bennie. Just sense we've seen the last of Colby.

If we can't afford Colby we might be in pretty bad shape. It was like in the interview yesterday that JD was trying to let us know that it might take this course, but that eventually he thought he could sign him. JD probably thinks Colby will go out and see that there isn't much of a market for him. I hope he is right.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can't afford Colby we might be in pretty bad shape. It was like in the interview yesterday that JD was trying to let us know that it might take this course, but that eventually he thought he could sign him. JD probably thinks Colby will go out and see that there isn't much of a market for him. I hope he is right.

I really don't think its a matter of "can't afford".

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not according to romeo. :pound:

If you're here romeo I'm having just a tad of fun.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Can't afford" the way I was using the term doesn't equate to we have no more money. When you budget a certain amount for something that in essence means you can't afford a more expensive item than what you have budgeted. I could have $100,000 in the bank, but if I am on a personal budget and I have budgeted $40 to go out to eat on Friday night then I "can't afford" to go somewhere costing $75. It wouldn't bankrupt me and I certainly have money I could spend, but if I stick to my budget then I "can't afford" it. That is the way I was using the term because it is easier to write than "they can't fit this into their budget".

This team has all kinds of money they could spend. Their TV revenues from the local and national TV contracts have increased more than $50 million over the past 2 years so they could spend much more than they plan to.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IMO if you're correct on JD's thought pattern, he's going to be disappointed.

There is a need for starting pitching now like there's never been before.

And Colby had a pretty good second half of the season. Think it may surprise some what he'll be offered. I just hope it isn't us.

It wouldn't shock me at all to see Colby draw quite a bit of interest and get a solid two year offer.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's funny. I feel that way about them when they are talking about trades or possible free agent acquisitions for the Rangers. The Rangers almost never let real trade or free agent gossip leak out and yet these guys all think they have the Rangers next moves figured out. They are almost always wrong unless something is imminent. I am a lot more inclined to pay attention to what they say about the Rangers future outlook as a team than am about what they say about possible Ranger trades and free agents.

:lol: I agree with you so I was taking about when a trade is about to actually happen which I guess I did not make myself clear on.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You may be right. It could be that JD wants to use money towards a FA pitcher or two that he has targeted and knows about how much he wants to spend and if Colby is asking too much and cutting into that pie then JD would rather not give into that so soon.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Colby was wanting 2-3 years as some reports say I can understand if JD balks at that.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we aren't re-signing Colby off the bat then there's 3 spots to fill. Although, I guess the #5 spot will probably be one of our youngsters. I wouldn't be surprised if JD trades for a pitcher quickly, and gets one of the spots taken care of.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta stay off ESPN...I just gotta stay off there...

Apparently Rua has more upside playing everyday at 1B than Fielder, because Fielder is fat. Nevermind that Fielder had a structural issue in his neck and that's why he was hurt....Nevermind that Rua is an unproven rookie...