• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been on record as saying I'd had no problem whatsoever if the Rangers had said Bogar was the man right after the season.

But since they didn't chose this route and went with a true search process, I've gotta trust the processes conclusion.

That's exactly how I feel. We talk about small sample size. Well what would you call Bogar's term? I liked Bogar's as a candidate. But knowing what I know about Bannister's background I have to trust the process. There was a reason they went with him.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was about what Banister would do. Seems you are a bit hyper-sensitive to any negative mention of Wash.

I don't understand why you are using the word revisionist. Nothing revisionist whatsoever.

Does it matter? In the grand scheme of things none of this really matters. It is just a sport. Baseball is a talking sport though and I brought up a legitimate point about how the lineup could play out next year with what we have seen in the past as a backdrop. It is called a converstation. I don't tell you what people and subjects you can bring up and I would appreciate it if you would give me the same courtesy.

I am not sensitive, much less "hyper sensitive" to any mention on RW and have no idea of what you're referring too.

And your response to "does it matter" seems like blather from a very old Chicago song....."does anyone really know what time it is?"

I'll bring up whatever I chose to bring up, you do the same. However, it isn't a courtesy to bring up something which you disagree with.

Why are your panties in such a bunch anyway? You're the one taking something which was said "in general" so personal.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sensitive, much less "hyper sensitive" to any mention on RW and have no idea of what you're referring too.

And your response to "does it matter" seems like blather from a very old Chicago song....."does anyone really know what time it is?"

I'll bring up whatever I chose to bring up, you do the same. However, it isn't a courtesy to bring up something which you disagree with.

Why are your panties in such a bunch anyway? You're the one taking something which was said "in general" so personal.

You overreacted to me bringing up Wash's name. You did come across as very sensitive. Then you go and claim I am taking it personal. That's very funny. I guess even you have something to "blather' about. That's fine if you want to be that way, but you need to realize when you do react in a very sensitive way it could bring back similar reactions from those who you are overreacting to.

I had a completely baseball related post. You are the one who decided to say I shouldn't discuss Wash any longer. You turned the discussion from baseball to a personal one about my choice of subjects. Again, it was an overreaction. It is over and done with now and time for me to move on.

I don't care if you disagree with how I feel about what Wash has done or not. Just don't go telling me to not bring it up. That is where the courtesy part comes in. I will bring up anything I want to and I am sure just about everyone else on here will do the same including you. There is nothing wrong with any of us doing just that.

Have a nice evening.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just love it when someone reacts negatively to something posted, takes 4 paragraphs to explain why they're right and then declares the discussion closed b/c they said so.

Good morning gentlemen.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's DMN take on the Mike Maddux situation:

With less than a week remaining before pitching coach Mike Maddux becomes a full-scale free agent, the Texas Rangers still don’t have a deal in place for him to return for a seventh season.

What’s the holdup?

Possibly nothing.

The Rangers could simply be waiting to put together the rest of the coaching staff pieces before making any announcement. The Rangers haven’t made any announcements about their coaching staff. It’s important to note that while it appears Dave Magadan (hitting instructor) will be back and Steve Buechele (bench coach) will be added, the Rangers have made no formal announcement on either.

And with the need to still fill perhaps both base-coaching positions, the Rangers may simply wait until they have all their issues settled. Third base coach Gary Pettis has already left the organization for Houston and it’s becoming more likely that first base coach Bengie Molina will not return for a second year.

I'm a little surprised about Molina. For whatever reason, I'd assumed he'd done a decent job and would be back next year. Also liked the idea of having a former terrific catcher on the bench to work with Chirinos.

As for Maddux, there have also been some things to work through.

To wit:

• Autonomy: Over the last six years, Maddux has had perhaps more autonomy than any pitching coach in the game. Manager Ron Washington, a former infielder, turned the pitchers over to Maddux and rarely got involved with pitching plans or strategy. The one exception was the occasional stroll to the mound for one of Washington’s profanity-laced talks with a struggling pitcher.

Under Jeff Banister, Maddux’s voice would still be significant, but it’s likely that the new manager, a former catcher, will take a more hands-on approach to dealing with pitchers, their schedules and even philosophy. While it appears that Banister is comfortable working with Maddux, there is likely to be more collaboration expected.

• Contract: Maddux has grown to become one of, if not, the highest paid pitching coaches in the majors. When the Rangers lured him from Milwaukee, the scale for pitching coaches was a higher because there were more “superstar” pitching coaches in the league. But his salary was always less than that of manager Ron Washington. And it’s only right for a subordinate coach to make less than the new manager.

In order to keep the “pecking order” among the manager and his coaches correct, it might require Maddux taking a flat contract or perhaps even something of a downward adjustment to re-synchronize it with the manager. It’s liable to create something of a sticky situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of us make our best decisions with someone else's wallet.

okay so i chose to believe that the Rangers will make a trade or deal irregardless of what they are saying right now about payroll. sorry i'm not a sheep that blindly accepts everything being said. we have heard this before

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what because i don't buy the short of money thing and think it is all smoke screen. sorry i'm allowed my opinion just like you.

And I'm allowed to an opinion about your opinion. Don't be so sensitive.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's exactly how I feel. We talk about small sample size. Well what would you call Bogar's term? I liked Bogar's as a candidate. But knowing what I know about Bannister's background I have to trust the process. There was a reason they went with him.

I am with you all in giving Banister a chance. But in regards to Bogar as a manager I also looked at the fact he was Manager of the Year in 3 of 5 seasons for 3 different leagues. When I take that and what I saw in his decision making in the short time as interim I think he has a real knack for managing a team.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's DMN take on the Mike Maddux situation:

With less than a week remaining before pitching coach Mike Maddux becomes a full-scale free agent, the Texas Rangers still don’t have a deal in place for him to return for a seventh season.

What’s the holdup?

Possibly nothing.

The Rangers could simply be waiting to put together the rest of the coaching staff pieces before making any announcement. The Rangers haven’t made any announcements about their coaching staff. It’s important to note that while it appears Dave Magadan (hitting instructor) will be back and Steve Buechele (bench coach) will be added, the Rangers have made no formal announcement on either.

And with the need to still fill perhaps both base-coaching positions, the Rangers may simply wait until they have all their issues settled. Third base coach Gary Pettis has already left the organization for Houston and it’s becoming more likely that first base coach Bengie Molina will not return for a second year.

I'm a little surprised about Molina. For whatever reason, I'd assumed he'd done a decent job and would be back next year. Also liked the idea of having a former terrific catcher on the bench to work with Chirinos.

As for Maddux, there have also been some things to work through.

To wit:

• Autonomy: Over the last six years, Maddux has had perhaps more autonomy than any pitching coach in the game. Manager Ron Washington, a former infielder, turned the pitchers over to Maddux and rarely got involved with pitching plans or strategy. The one exception was the occasional stroll to the mound for one of Washington’s profanity-laced talks with a struggling pitcher.

Under Jeff Banister, Maddux’s voice would still be significant, but it’s likely that the new manager, a former catcher, will take a more hands-on approach to dealing with pitchers, their schedules and even philosophy. While it appears that Banister is comfortable working with Maddux, there is likely to be more collaboration expected.

• Contract: Maddux has grown to become one of, if not, the highest paid pitching coaches in the majors. When the Rangers lured him from Milwaukee, the scale for pitching coaches was a higher because there were more “superstar” pitching coaches in the league. But his salary was always less than that of manager Ron Washington. And it’s only right for a subordinate coach to make less than the new manager.

In order to keep the “pecking order” among the manager and his coaches correct, it might require Maddux taking a flat contract or perhaps even something of a downward adjustment to re-synchronize it with the manager. It’s liable to create something of a sticky situation.

That's interesting information from the DMN. The longer this takes the less sure I am that Maddux will be back. If the Rangers really didn't want the issue of Maddux being paid more than Banister as a problem they probably should have paid Banister more. If they are paying Banister less than what Maddux has made it seems they may have already decided to let Maddux walk. If we do keep Magidan and let Maddux walk that will be a big disappointment.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's interesting information from the DMN. The longer this takes the less sure I am that Maddux will be back. If the Rangers really didn't want the issue of Maddux being paid more than Banister as a problem they probably should have paid Banister more. If they are paying Banister less than what Maddux has made it seems they may have already decided to let Maddux walk. If we do keep Magidan and let Maddux walk that will be a big disappointment.

How much is Maddux making anyway? I honestly don't know. But I'd be shocked to think our current pitching coach is making more than our new manager. If he is, then I like your solution to the problem.

If I were Maddux I'd honestly ask, "so you want me to take a pay cut b/c Jeff's agent didn't negotiate well?"

Don't know how badly Mike wants to stay here, or if he'd be willing to take a pay cut to do so. According to this article, he wouldn't have as much freedom of decision making either.

Seems like a lot of going backwards for a guy who has done a terrific job for us.

I won't at all be shocked to see him walk if this information is accurate.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am with you all in giving Banister a chance. But in regards to Bogar as a manager I also looked at the fact he was Manager of the Year in 3 of 5 seasons for 3 different leagues. When I take that and what I saw in his decision making in the short time as interim I think he has a real knack for managing a team.

You've brought this up before and your take on it is rock solid. Don't see how anyone could fault you for the logic you're bringing to the forefront here.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much is Maddux making anyway? I honestly don't know. But I'd be shocked to think our current pitching coach is making more than our new manager. If he is, then I like your solution to the problem.

If I were Maddux I'd honestly ask, "so you want me to take a pay cut b/c Jeff's agent didn't negotiate well?"

Don't know how badly Mike wants to stay here, or if he'd be willing to take a pay cut to do so. According to this article, he wouldn't have as much freedom of decision making either.

Seems like a lot of going backwards for a guy who has done a terrific job for us.

I won't at all be shocked to see him walk if this information is accurate.

I am not sure how much he makes. If it does work out the way I am afraid it will and if it is because of money then that will enforce to me that money played into the decision to stick with Magidan instead of paying a new hitting coach in addition to having to pay Magidan's salary. It would make them look awfully cheap. I sure hope that isn't the case.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
okay so i chose to believe that the Rangers will make a trade or deal irregardless of what they are saying right now about payroll. sorry i'm not a sheep that blindly accepts everything being said. we have heard this before

Yes, we heard it at this time last year as well.

Baa!! Baa!! Baa!!

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure how much he makes. If it does work out the way I am afraid it will and if it is because of money then that will enforce to me that money played into the decision to stick with Magidan instead of paying a new hitting coach in addition to having to pay Magidan's salary. It would make them look awfully cheap. I sure hope that isn't the case.

And I will have to eat crow, b/c I totally dismissed the idea they kept Mag's to save about $2 mil (Mag's buyout plus cost of new coach).

It won't make them look cheap. It will MAKE them cheap.

Hard to swallow losing a fine coach, and keeping a questionable one all over a few million dollars when the organization got a billion dollar TV contract.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I will have to eat crow, b/c I totally dismissed the idea they kept Mag's to save about $2 mil (Mag's buyout plus cost of new coach).

Hard to swallow losing a fine coach, and keeping a questionable one all over a few million dollars when the organization got a billion dollar TV contract.

Unless they believe Magadan wasn't to blame for the team's poor performance. Magadan was still there when things turned around after Bogar took over.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is understandable that you dismissed the idea because it seems unthinkable on the surface. It seems odd for them to make decisions like that, but sometimes financial constraints make folks do odd things. Hopefully, they keep Maddux and they just kept Magidan because they didn't have any other alternatives at the present time.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless they believe Magadan wasn't to blame for the team's poor performance. Magadan was still there when things turned around after Bogar took over.

That is a valid point, but just as you said earlier the team's success under Bogar was a very small sample size. Overall the hitting has been a disappointment under Magidan. I was really looking forward to seeing Elvis under a better hitting coach next year.