• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I think you're reading too much into it

I can't think of names, but I know its a transition I've seen a couple SS's make in the past

Maybe not at the same time as the jump from AA to ML starter

It's unique but not mind blowing, at least not to me

I may be. It just seemed - won't use the word here - "unusual" to see someone make this kinda leap.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rua made 2-level jump AA to ML from predominantly a MIF to OF during the 2014 season.

Correct.

One of the things which struck me about Herrera was/is he was TOTALLY a 2nd BM until this off-season. Except for those TWO GAMES. Now he's gone from being the 41st player on a team which was horrid in professional baseball to starting in CF for another professional team. Just seems......ODD.

Granted, we all know the Phillies suck too.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not in 33 years and that is odd I think.

Would be interesting to look at ML rosters to see how many career 1bmen there are. Am betting it's not more than half. In which case ... if you play 1b-only in HS and don't have glove or speed tools to play elsewhere ... you might see if you can convert to be a tight end because you have very little chance to make to the ML in baseball.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I think you're reading too much into it

I can't think of names, but I know its a transition I've seen a couple SS's make in the past

Maybe not at the same time as the jump from AA to ML starter

It's unique but not mind blowing, at least not to me

Sorry.....but this was - at least to me - the strangest thing about it.

If I made too big a deal about it.....that's on me.

I'm gonna move on now, unless Bennie wants to come in with some other blah-blah-blah?

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Mr "I'm-Gonna-Be-Right" and "Have-the-Last-Word" is noted.

WTF was I thinking? TWO whole GAMES. I stand corrected, and bow to the power.
That is a very silly response.

It was never about either of us being right. I never viewed it as any kind of argument. No need to get all huffy about something like that.

You aren't wrong at all. I never said you were wrong. I simply said I didn't find it bizarre and that doesn't come anywhere close to implying that you are wrong. Man, life is too short to get that upset over a simple baseball discussion. Wow.

Actually, if it had been an argument I would have been arguing against myself by showing that he had played some OF before. I was simply bringing something new to the discussion that I didn't know and I thought you would find it interesting. I never knew you were on the other end steaming because I failed to find it bizarre as well.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be interesting to look at ML rosters to see how many career 1bmen there are. Am betting it's not more than half. In which case ... if you play 1b-only in HS and don't have glove or speed tools to play elsewhere ... you might see if you can convert to be a tight end because you have very little chance to make to the ML in baseball.

You may be right. It might be something that just isn't done very often any longer. It was something that I had never given much thought to so it struck me as odd as I kept going back through my mind thinking of our past 1B and realizing how long it had been. It was a fun discussion anyway.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Mr "I'm-Gonna-Be-Right" and "Have-the-Last-Word" is noted.

WTF was I thinking? TWO whole GAMES. I stand corrected, and bow to the power.
Sometimes the fly specks in the pepper will get the last words every time. Know what I mean?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone kind-of/sort-of watch the game today?

If you did, please give us a brief overview of what you observed.

And thanks

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone kind-of/sort-of watch the game today?

If you did, please give us a brief overview of what you observed.

And thanks

I just now looked at the box score as I did not keep up with it at all. Some good results from many of our position players but not sure what was going on with Bonilla.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think it is inventive for PHL to find a spot for their Rule 5 pick who is having a great spring ... lots better than our Rule 5 guy.

Herrera ... 18 for 56ABs ... w/.321/.356/.339/.695

What is ironic is that if PHL hadn't picked Herrera in the Rule 5 draft he might be competing for a backup CF spot with TEX (when he won the starting role in PHL) ... except by taking DeShields he wouldn't get a chance with TEX.

That is the strange and ironic issue.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Working on an acronym for 2015 and onward ...

PAJC -- Past A Jogging Choo

Yesterday with runners on 2nd and 3rd ... he played it safe on a ball in front of him ... and both runners scored. WTF? What was he afraid of? The batter getting an Inside the Park HR if it got by him?

Choo better get up to speed quick ... or he gets the David Murphy, Lance Berkman, and MY at the end treatment.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta admit.....it was amazing and thrilling to watch a guy accomplish what this fella did!

Guy K'd almost 200 IN 2000, and then forgot what the strike zone looked like. Sad actually.

But then he went on to play, and play well, at a ML level in the OF for about 8 years.

That's BIZARRE too. Maybe that word doesn't mean what I think it means?

Bizarre, to me at least, is something like a ball bouncing off the noggin of Canseco for a HR. There's a certain degradation that goes along with it. Again, that's to me, just my opinion. Not intended to be a correction.

Ankiel's career path was certainly unique and unexpected, but also impressive.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers are playing a Futures Game tonight against the Cubs.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bizarre, to me at least, is something like a ball bouncing off the noggin of Canseco for a HR. There's a certain degradation that goes along with it. Again, that's to me, just my opinion. Not intended to be a correction.

Ankiel's career path was certainly unique and unexpected, but also impressive.

Just dawned on me that Babe Ruth started out as a pitcher. Rick Ankiel didn't have the same results but he made the switch and took 3 years to get back to the ML-level. Guy definitely wanted to play baseball.