• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I just think it is odd that we haven't developed a 1B in the minors who became a successful MLB player since O'Brien. O'Brien arrived on the scene 33 years ago. That is a very long stretch not to have produced a good all around first baseman.

Guzman Ronald Guzman Minor League Statistics & History | Baseball-Reference.com

The last 1b-only prospect (Smoak) didn't work out. Moving a 3bman who ought to have better glove skills than the average 1b-only guy across the diamond or at 3b doubles the playing options. Big giant 1bman-only guys tend to not be suitable for COF. So it makes more sense to pick 3bmen to potentially fill 4 roster spots than a 1b-only guy who can only fill 1. Like Smoak was.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes he did. And this was a bizarre move as well, due to him being a good ML pitcher, and then converting to the OF. Honestly, don't ever remember anyone making this transition until Rick did it. And there are guys all over the diamond who "once" played another position. I understand this. But it took Ankiel YEARS to make the transition.

My point is, Herrera has never played anything but 2nd, and his highest level was AA. Now he's starting for the Phillies in CF.

I don't ever recall this happening - position and huge jump in competition levels - in one off season.
Do you think it is a bad idea for Philly?

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
For Rangers, Prince's return to form has royal importance | texasrangers.com

Prince is hitting for average this spring, but so far his slugging has trended down for the second ST in a row. It was .525 in 2013, .477 last year, and .405 so far this year in ST. Hopefully that doesn't carry through into the regular season.

Timing is everything. After only 150ABs in early means he first needs to get the timing and batting eye back. In 37ABs this spring ... he's put the ball in play with only 1 BB and 2 SO. You aren't at ST to take walks ... and putting the ball in play seems to be something Prince has focused on.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes he did. And this was a bizarre move as well, due to him being a good ML pitcher, and then converting to the OF. Honestly, don't ever remember anyone making this transition until Rick did it. And there are guys all over the diamond who "once" played another position. I understand this. But it took Ankiel YEARS to make the transition.

My point is, Herrera has never played anything but 2nd, and his highest level was AA. Now he's starting for the Phillies in CF.

I don't ever recall this happening - position and huge jump in competition levels - in one off season.

Ankiehl was a good ML pitcher until he got the yips worse than Jarrod Saltalamachia. What's wild is that he had 76 HRs as a CFer although was only ML replacement batter over all. He was fast and had an arm.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guzman Ronald Guzman Minor League Statistics & History | Baseball-Reference.com

The last 1b-only prospect (Smoak) didn't work out. Moving a 3bman who ought to have better glove skills than the average 1b-only guy across the diamond or at 3b doubles the playing options. Big giant 1bman-only guys tend to not be suitable for COF. So it makes more sense to pick 3bmen to potentially fill 4 roster spots than a 1b-only guy who can only fill 1. Like Smoak was.
Bringing up a prospect who played mostly 1B worked out great early on as we had both Hargrove and O'Brien come up in a 9 year period. Putnam wasn't too shabby between Grover and Petey either. Since then, not so much. The guy we got at 1B now doesn't present much in terms of playing options himself.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bringing up a prospect who played mostly 1B worked out great early on as we had both Hargrove and O'Brien come up in a 9 year period. Putnam wasn't too shabby between Grover and Petey either. Since then, not so much. The guy we got at 1B now doesn't present much in terms of playing options himself.

TEX would be better flipping Prince and Mitch but that would put too much crimp on Prince's future value if he was relegated to DH now.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odubel did play some CF in Winter League action.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think it is a bad idea for Philly?

No clue. I'm not making a judgement.

Just "very much surprised" the kid could go from 2nd in AA - and frankly, didn't set the world on fire - too starting in CF at the ML level. And most importantly, all of this in an OFF SEASON.

As I stated, I found it bizarre. But don't wish the young man or the Phillies any ill-will at all. In fact, the opposite. It's difficult for me to harbor negative thoughts toward a young kid who's never done anything but try hard.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ankiehl was a good ML pitcher until he got the yips worse than Jarrod Saltalamachia. What's wild is that he had 76 HRs as a CFer although was only ML replacement batter over all. He was fast and had an arm.

I gotta admit.....it was amazing and thrilling to watch a guy accomplish what this fella did!

Guy K'd almost 200 IN 2000, and then forgot what the strike zone looked like. Sad actually.

But then he went on to play, and play well, at a ML level in the OF for about 8 years.

That's BIZARRE too. Maybe that word doesn't mean what I think it means?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well there ya fucking have it.

He's actually SEEN and TOUCHED the OF grass. Case closed.
He also played 2 games in CF at Myrtle Beach last year and 11 games in LF in Myrtle beach and Frisco.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

So in other words ... not in this century.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No clue. I'm not making a judgement.

Just "very much surprised" the kid could go from 2nd in AA - and frankly, didn't set the world on fire - too starting in CF at the ML level. And most importantly, all of this in an OFF SEASON.

As I stated, I found it bizarre. But don't wish the young man or the Phillies any ill-will at all. In fact, the opposite. It's difficult for me to harbor negative thoughts toward a young kid who's never done anything but try hard.

Honestly I think you're reading too much into it

I can't think of names, but I know its a transition I've seen a couple SS's make in the past

Maybe not at the same time as the jump from AA to ML starter

It's unique but not mind blowing, at least not to me

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Honestly I think you're reading too much into it

I can't think of names, but I know its a transition I've seen a couple SS's make in the past

Maybe not at the same time as the jump from AA to ML starter

It's unique but not mind blowing, at least not to me

Rua made 2-level jump AA to ML from predominantly a MIF to OF during the 2014 season.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also played 2 games in CF at Myrtle Beach last year and 11 games in LF in Myrtle beach and Frisco.

And Mr "I'm-Gonna-Be-Right" and "Have-the-Last-Word" is noted.

WTF was I thinking? TWO whole GAMES. I stand corrected, and bow to the power.