• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do not see Scheppers as the set up guy right now. He just does not look right. I would move Edwards or some combination into that slot for now. i also do not think having a left handed at bat is as important as some might think. Now if we had an overabundance of LH hitting OFers that is a problem if the opposition has LHers coming out of the pen. For that reason I keep Smolinski for Peguero. Peguero cannot lay off the pitches that break down out of the strike zone and I think we would have another Carlos Pena at the plate.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't consider Smoak a successful big leaguer. I guess it would depend on the definition of "successful", but I don't consider Smoak a successful MLB payer. He has never hit over .239. I think our last one was Pete O'Brien.

Mitch might still be one eventually, be he isn't so far. He was primarily an OF in the minors though who played 1b part time. In his 4 minor league seasons he played 1B in a little over 40% of his minor league games. In his last 2 minor league seasons he only played 1B about 25% of the time.

My point on Smoak was that a lefty 1b-only is high risk for success ... especially when they get drafted #1 and are anointed from the day of the draft as the heir apparent to Texeira as Smoak was. He was destined to fail.

Mitch was drafted as a 1bman and played 148 games there in the minors. The reason he had 181 games in RF is because he was on the same timetable as the previously mentioned 'anointed one'. Moreland had better arm and foot speed than Smoak. He just had a higher draft position being taken in the 17th round a year ahead of Smoak being taken #1.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I do not see Scheppers as the set up guy right now. He just does not look right. I would move Edwards or some combination into that slot for now. i also do not think having a left handed at bat is as important as some might think. Now if we had an overabundance of LH hitting OFers that is a problem if the opposition has LHers coming out of the pen. For that reason I keep Smolinski for Peguero. Peguero cannot lay off the pitches that break down out of the strike zone and I think we would have another Carlos Pena at the plate.

"and I think we would have another Carlos Pena at the plate."

Never made that connection but Carlos Pena is exactly who Peguero reminds me of now that you mention it. EXACTLY! Thanks. It is all clear to me now.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now this is really strange.

Hitzges said the former Rangers 2nd BM, Odubel Herrera, who was picked up on a rule 5 by the Phillies, is going to start in CENTER FIELD for them.

Isn't that bizarre?
Not really. I wish the Rangers did more converting middle infielders to CF. Instead, we have done the opposite with Ryan Cordell. Before we traded him I often wondered why they didn't move Sardinas to CF to try him there.

I would have rather have kept Herrera than pickup Deshields myself.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point on Smoak was that a lefty 1b-only is high risk for success ... especially when they get drafted #1 and are anointed from the day of the draft as the heir apparent to Texeira as Smoak was. He was destined to fail.

Mitch was drafted as a 1bman and played 148 games there in the minors. The reason he had 181 games in RF is because he was on the same timetable as the previously mentioned 'anointed one'. Moreland had better arm and foot speed than Smoak. He just had a higher draft position being taken in the 17th round a year ahead of Smoak being taken #1.
I just think it is odd that we haven't developed a 1B in the minors who became a successful MLB player since O'Brien. O'Brien arrived on the scene 33 years ago. That is a very long stretch not to have produced a good all around first baseman.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. I wish the Rangers did more converting middle infielders to CF. Instead, we have done the opposite with Ryan Cordell. Before we traded him I often wondered why they didn't move Sardinas to CF to try him there.

I would have rather have kept Herrera than pickup Deshields myself.

You don't find it bizarre that a kid who is not a CF, played only 2nd base at the AA level, yet is starting for a ML club in CF? Really? Name me one who's done this please.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't find it bizarre that a kid who is not a CF, played only 2nd base at the AA level, yet is starting for a ML club in CF? Really? Name me one who's done this please.
There are a lot of things that don't normally happen in baseball that I wouldn't find bizarre if someone did it. I love baseball, but there are way too many folks in baseball who fail to think outside the box.

The idea isn't odd or bizarre to me because I have thought before that we should consider a MI in CF at times. I thought Kinsler should be considered there and I thought Sardinas should be considered there. It makes perfect sense to me to think that a MI could be a candidate for CF. Now whether something like that has been done very often is a whole different thing.

The Phillies aren't going anywhere so why not start a very good hitting kid. They like him and want to keep him and to do so they have to put him on the 25 man roster. They might as well see what he can do since he has to be on the big league roster.

It is definitely an unusual move for a baseball club, but I don't consider it bizarre at all.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we have a game time today? None listed in my area.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rua is hitting cleanup today and Smolinski is hitting second.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we have a game time today? None listed in my area.

DT, if you go to mlb.com, go to scoreboard. They list all the games for that day and what time they are playing. There app is mlb.com at bat.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta say, we have some of the most loyal relievers in baseball. Seems like a lot of them are doing what they can to make sure someone else makes the 25 man roster.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rick Ankiel went from pitcher to CF.

Yes he did. And this was a bizarre move as well, due to him being a good ML pitcher, and then converting to the OF. Honestly, don't ever remember anyone making this transition until Rick did it. And there are guys all over the diamond who "once" played another position. I understand this. But it took Ankiel YEARS to make the transition.

My point is, Herrera has never played anything but 2nd, and his highest level was AA. Now he's starting for the Phillies in CF.

I don't ever recall this happening - position and huge jump in competition levels - in one off season.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's only ST and all. But as bad as the programming is on KTXA I'd hope they'd air as many Ranger games as possible.

Oh well...........