• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure on that, but Busby was the first MLB player to have rotator cuff surgery and it cut his career short. Granted things are much different now than the 70's just an interesting note. It was a shame he had thrown 2 no hitters, in what I believe was his first 2 complete seasons.

Now that I'm randomly thinking when Romo injured his shoulder in I guess 2010-2011ish It may have actually been the labrum he tore.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just nonsense!!

i agree but at the same time there are players that waste a lot of time. MY would step in for the 1st pitch take it never taking the bat off his shoulder and then he would step out, adjust his helmet, loosen one glove and re-tighten it, then do the other glove and then tap his shoes like they were caked with mud. he would then take a couple of practice swings, put up his hand, place one foot in the box, kick around the dirt and then put the other foot in. sometimes it felt like he took 2 or 3 minutes between pitches.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree but at the same time there are players that waste a lot of time. MY would step in for the 1st pitch take it never taking the bat off his shoulder and then he would step out, adjust his helmet, loosen one glove and re-tighten it, then do the other glove and then tap his shoes like they were caked with mud. he would then take a couple of practice swings, put up his hand, place one foot in the box, kick around the dirt and then put the other foot in. sometimes it felt like he took 2 or 3 minutes between pitches.

And let's not even talk about how long Boston pitchers take.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HaHa. You should have seen Mike Hargrove bat.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing to worry about there. His career is over bro.

I was laughing today while listening to the Fan. After that whole thing yesterday Mike Bacsik said he doesn't think Profar will ever play in the bigs again. He later said if he does happen to make it back to the majors it won't be until 2018.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was laughing today while listening to the Fan. After that whole thing yesterday Mike Bacsik said he doesn't think Profar will ever play in the bigs again. He later said if he does happen to make it back to the majors it won't be until 2018.
Some people have an odd way of dealing with disappointment.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me see if I understand this. Profar has not had corrective surgery and Bacsik knows Profar's future.:L

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If he's serious then he's a blithering idiot.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides the talk about hitters taking so long at the plate isn't there talk about shrinking the strike zone. If that has been or will be implemented I think that is idiotic. The umpires already think a pitch is high when it goes above the belt. Plus the umps have their own interpretation anyway. Now if they could correct the pitches that are a mile outside from being called a strike that would be great.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sometimes Bacsik makes sense, sometimes not so much. Wonder why all this negativism toward Profar when if he'd had the surgery 6 months ago I wonder if these nay-sayers would feel this way?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems to be a lot of opinions that most here would say are knee jerk

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/te...lder-could-affect-his-future-with-rangers.ece

Four different tears in the shoulder and the fact that this isn't just your run of the mill labrum surgery or rotator cuff surgery, gives me the thought that until Dr. Andrews gets in there and evaluates all the issues they ant have an idea of when he might return. Romeo may can tell us more but I don't know if anyone knows what will give in the end? Fact is the Rangers will give him every opportunity to make it all the way back, but from what is being written, it is going to be a long road and he's gonna have to almost start his development to become a ML'er all over.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes Bacsik makes sense, sometimes not so much. Wonder why all this negativism toward Profar when if he'd had the surgery 6 months ago I wonder if these nay-sayers would feel this way?
The thing is I can't remember anyone in the local media saying Profar made a mistake by not having the surgery at the time. They waited until his decision proved to not work before offering up their opinion.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is I can't remember anyone in the local media saying Profar made a mistake by not having the surgery at the time. They waited until his decision proved to not work before offering up their opinion.

Me either.

And if I'm understanding the surgery correctly (1) Had he had it last year, he still would've missed this season, and (2) although I hesitate to use a word like "routine" it does seem others have come back just fine from it.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As pointed out by Dan Syzmborski and Dan McLaughlin, D'Angelo Jimenez and Jay Payton were two highly touted prospects like Profar who missed substantial time in their early 20s, and it derailed their development:

• Jimenez hit .327/.392/.492 in 126 Triple-A games as a 21-year-old in 1999 and Baseball America ranked him as the 89th best prospect in the game before the 2000 season. He suffered a back injury in a car accident in January 2000, missed just about the entire season, and was never the same. He hit .262/.333/.393 in Triple-A in 2001 and spent parts of eight seasons in MLB as a non-descript utility player.

• Payton, the 29th overall pick in the 1994 draft, dealt with numerous injuries from 1996-99, including two Tommy John surgeries and shoulder surgery. (Baseball America ranked him as the 21st best prospect in the game prior to 1996.) He played only 229 games from 1996-99, including zero in 1997. Payton did reach the big leagues for good in 2000 and had some solid years with the Mets, but he fell well short of his ultimate ceiling.

Both Jimenez and Payton missed time in the early formative years of their careers and never recovered. The good news is both did go on to have big league careers after their injuries -- Jimenez played 634 games from 2001-07 and Payton played 1,231 games from 2000-10 -- but these guys were projected stars (or at least above-average players) who became role players after getting hurt.

That doesn't mean Profar is now destined for a career as a role player, of course, but it goes to show how tough it is from missing this much time in your early 20s. This is development time he won't get back. Baseball, especially hitting, is a repetition sport, and he's not getting those reps. Missing two straight years like this is very difficult to overcome.

As for the Rangers, they're losing a player for two years. Not just any player either, a player who was ranked as the consensus No. 1 prospect in baseball a few years ago. Someone everyone expected to be a star. They're also losing two of Profar's cheap pre-arbitration years, which is a huge part of the value of young players. Those years are gone and they're not coming back.

The Rangers and their fans can take solace in the fact that it is not impossible to come back from what Profar is going through. Just look at ex-Ranger Josh Hamilton. He did not play at all from ages 22-24 -- literally zero games -- but returned to the game and became a superstar anyway. He's an extreme outlier obviously, but it can be done. Profar has superstar skills too.

For now, the Rangers and Profar just need to focus on getting healthy. Have the shoulder surgery, attack the rehab, then worry about getting back to baseball. There's not much else they can do. Profar has a major uphill climb ahead of him now. Missing two straight years at this age is a massive obstacle on the path to success.

Just some info on players missing development time, take it for what its worth

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me either.

And if I'm understanding the surgery correctly (1) Had he had it last year, he still would've missed this season, and (2) although I hesitate to use a word like "routine" it does seem others have come back just fine from it.
Correct Don, if he had the surgery he wasn't playing in 2015 more than likely anyway. Even if the rest had worked and the surgery wasn't needed after all, he would have started in the minor leagues and been evaluated as to where he was after missing all of 2014. He might have spent the entire season there this year, no one knows where he would have been after missing a whole year