• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://m.rangers.mlb.com/news/artic...rickson-profar-to-have-right-shoulder-surgery

I thought this was a good explanation about what could be going on with his shoulder.

Profar was diagnosed with the strained muscle in Spring Training last year. Normally a strained teres major muscle heals without surgery, but Profar had two setbacks since then, one in May and again in September. That's why the torn labrum is now being considered as the cause of the problem, but Dr. Keith Meister will investigate other issues during the actual surgery on Monday.

"The strain that was showing up is something that heals and very rarely reoccurs," Daniels said. "Now we're seeing a different issue in the shoulder. He had the tear in 2010 and played without issues. It wasn't connected, the two issues, right away. We all wish we had seen that earlier or put two and two together."

And the thought process behind the decision to not have surgery before.

After the September setback, Profar was examined further by Meister, as well as noted orthopedists Dr. James Andrews and Neal ElAttrache. At the time, surgery was considered because of instability in the shoulder. But Profar wanted to try one more winter rehabilitation program to avoid the procedure and be ready for the start of the season.

"It's a very personal decision," Daniels said. "Everybody collaborated, the medical staff, the baseball staff, player, family, agent. Ultimately it's up to the player ... his body, ultimately his call. We wanted to make sure he had as much information as possible. This isn't Tommy John surgery when it's black and white. There are shades of gray and he made the decision."

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is good to read that Matt and Martin are throwing off of flat ground. Matt is supposed to throw off of a mound in about 3 weeks and Martin is supposed to do so towards the end of training camp.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://m.rangers.mlb.com/news/artic...rickson-profar-to-have-right-shoulder-surgery

I thought this was a good explanation about what could be going on with his shoulder.

Profar was diagnosed with the strained muscle in Spring Training last year. Normally a strained teres major muscle heals without surgery, but Profar had two setbacks since then, one in May and again in September. That's why the torn labrum is now being considered as the cause of the problem, but Dr. Keith Meister will investigate other issues during the actual surgery on Monday.

"The strain that was showing up is something that heals and very rarely reoccurs," Daniels said. "Now we're seeing a different issue in the shoulder. He had the tear in 2010 and played without issues. It wasn't connected, the two issues, right away. We all wish we had seen that earlier or put two and two together."

And the thought process behind the decision to not have surgery before.

After the September setback, Profar was examined further by Meister, as well as noted orthopedists Dr. James Andrews and Neal ElAttrache. At the time, surgery was considered because of instability in the shoulder. But Profar wanted to try one more winter rehabilitation program to avoid the procedure and be ready for the start of the season.

"It's a very personal decision," Daniels said. "Everybody collaborated, the medical staff, the baseball staff, player, family, agent. Ultimately it's up to the player ... his body, ultimately his call. We wanted to make sure he had as much information as possible. This isn't Tommy John surgery when it's black and white. There are shades of gray and he made the decision."

In other words, the teres major injury (not a rotator cuff muscle) may have been a byproduct of the potentially pre-existing labral injury which caused instability in his shoulder. Basically because of the labral tear, he continues to have muscle injuries, and will continue to have them until he gets this fixed.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is good to read that Matt and Martin are throwing off of flat ground. Matt is supposed to throw off of a mound in about 3 weeks and Martin is supposed to do so towards the end of training camp.

I'd love to just see Matt pitching some rehab starts with no pain. I'd be feeling a little more optimistic then.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm not saying it was the right move at the time, just imagining our team now if we had made that deal. Kindled is probably still here, Moreland is probably at first

Yeah I didn't take it as you saying such, hindsight sheds a whole different light on most scenarios

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have missed a few days this week. What's the deal on this new format? Has the feel of an old Windows

Upgraded to a different platform, and a different server. Much faster now. Should make Game time posting easier.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks for profar. What could have been
It ain't over till it's over said the wise man. It's on hold but not over. Give surgery a chance and see what happens. He is young with time to heal.:hope:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It ain't over till it's over said the wise man. It's on hold but not over. Give surgery a chance and see what happens. He is young with time to heal.:hope:

Something else to keep in mind re: Jurickson is his strong mental makeup. In an article from last spring it was noted how he was considered a leader both on/off the field, and this may prove really beneficial toward him coming back.

Can anyone name a player who's had this type of problem before?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take on the Profar stuff...sucks, but at least it is happening to us at a position we are deep at. Well, little less now after Sardinas was traded. But I like Roughneck, and he was a good player considering the situation he found himself in last year. I heard on the radio that even if he had this surgery last September he still would miss all of this season. Perhaps he will trust trainers from now on, and listen to them.

Grant said he sees this being the end of Profars time with Texas. I don't believe that. We still have arb years on him, don't we? Pay him the minimum since he won't get big money while missing seasons and wait for him to get healthy. Now we don't have to worry about splitting time with Profar and Odor, so silver lining there.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take on the Profar stuff...sucks, but at least it is happening to us at a position we are deep at. Well, little less now after Sardinas was traded. But I like Roughneck, and he was a good player considering the situation he found himself in last year. I heard on the radio that even if he had this surgery last September he still would miss all of this season. Perhaps he will trust trainers from now on, and listen to them.

Grant said he sees this being the end of Profars time with Texas. I don't believe that. We still have arb years on him, don't we? Pay him the minimum since he won't get big money while missing seasons and wait for him to get healthy. Now we don't have to worry about splitting time with Profar and Odor, so silver lining there.

Go up a few posts and there's the article from Grant. He didn't make near the definitive statement your saying.

That splitting time was never on the table according to JD. Where'd you get this idea?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That splitting time was never on the table according to JD. Where'd you get this idea?
Nothing was off the table, we hadn't even played ST games yet.... Was it likely, obviously not, but had Odor fallen flat on his face or even gotten hurt and Profar had played lights out, then there's a chance. JD simply stated that Profar would start the year in AAA...
Odor being our ML 2B last year was "never on the table" either, we saw how that turned out, had Profar been healthy there was always a chance, so to take JD 75-90% at his word is usually a good idea, he's never stating the whole story

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something else to keep in mind re: Jurickson is his strong mental makeup. In an article from last spring it was noted how he was considered a leader both on/off the field, and this may prove really beneficial toward him coming back.

Can anyone name a player who's had this type of problem before?

Thousands of baseball players have had surgery to fix a torn labrum.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go up a few posts and there's the article from Grant. He didn't make near the definitive statement your saying.

No, I don't think they would have split time. One would start here and the other would be in Round Rock starting. To begin with Jurickson would have been in Round Rock according to JD. If they had ever decided to bring Jurickson up I believe Odor would have went down unless Elvis was injured. Neither one of them needs to be splitting time though.