• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thousands of baseball players have had surgery to fix a torn labrum.

You're confirming what I thought. Thanks

Although it's a serious operation, it's not anything which should totally wreck the career of someone as promising as Profar.

Hopefully he'll get fixed/healed, then perhaps start at AA to get back in the swing of things.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/10981...pace-of-game-initiatives-replay-modifications

Not sure about all this. Definitely not a fan of a "play clock."

"all batters must keep at least one foot in the batter's box unless one of a group of exceptions occurs."

"pitchers will be deemed to have forfeited any of their traditional eight warm-up pitches that they are unable to complete prior to the 30-second deadline. Exceptions to these rules will be made in a variety of circumstances"

So basically, here's some new (or newly enforced) rules, but also a bunch of exceptions to them. Great.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/10981...pace-of-game-initiatives-replay-modifications

"all batters must keep at least one foot in the batter's box unless one of a group of exceptions occurs."

"pitchers will be deemed to have forfeited any of their traditional eight warm-up pitches that they are unable to complete prior to the 30-second deadline. Exceptions to these rules will be made in a variety of circumstances"

So basically, here's some new (or newly enforced) rules, but also a bunch of exceptions to them. Great.

Clear as mud. Awesome. :L

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, this:

"A manager will retain his challenge after every call that is overturned. Last year, a manager retained his challenge only after the first overturned call."

So there's the potential for 3 or 4 overturned calls a game from one team. That I think would be interesting.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, this:

"A manager will retain his challenge after every call that is overturned. Last year, a manager retained his challenge only after the first overturned call."

So there's the potential for 3 or 4 overturned calls a game from one team. That I think would be interesting.
Should add to the length of a game if there are that many overturned, depending on the length it takes for each to be determined

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to just see Matt pitching some rehab starts with no pain. I'd be feeling a little more optimistic then.

That'd certainly be a great start and encouraging however I just wonder what'll happen once he's regularly pitching and putting that consistent wear and tear to his body.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thousands of baseball players have had surgery to fix a torn labrum.

I may be wrong but I thought it's happened to another prominent Rangers maybe within the past 5-7 years.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be wrong but I thought it's happened to another prominent Rangers maybe within the past 5-7 years.

Not sure on that, but Busby was the first MLB player to have rotator cuff surgery and it cut his career short. Granted things are much different now than the 70's just an interesting note. It was a shame he had thrown 2 no hitters, in what I believe was his first 2 complete seasons.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure on that, but Busby was the first MLB player to have rotator cuff surgery and it cut his career short. Granted things are much different now than the 70's just an interesting note. It was a shame he had thrown 2 no hitters, in what I believe was his first 2 complete seasons.

Pretty sure this was 1973/74, and in his first 4 years he had a winning percentage over 70%. The man was a heck of a pitcher. Too bad got hurt. Also, it's a shame his pitching ability didn't translate to announcing.

Cheap shot, I know.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure this was 1973/74, and in his first 4 years he had a winning percentage over 70%. The man was a heck of a pitcher. Too bad got hurt. Also, it's a shame his pitching ability didn't translate to announcing.

Cheap shot, I know.

Yeah I believe he had won like 18 games his first year and then 20 plus the next 2 years or something like that. Pretty impressive. I was going to comment on the announcing part myself but figured someone else would pick up where I left off.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It ain't over till it's over said the wise man. It's on hold but not over. Give surgery a chance and see what happens. He is young with time to heal.:hope:
Thought the 'fat lady' said that. Or sang it, at least. ;)

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is just nonsense!!

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he certainly seems confident enough. Barring any injuries he will likely win the closer job if not already.

Almost by default. There really is not anyone else ready for that role.