• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This stings now, but who knows how it would have played out. This does however make you re-think the options that were available in trade in 2013. Sucks but its just the way shit happens in baseball.

Hind sight is always 20/20.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems that some folks just have very little patience with prospects. Whether it be a slowdown in their development, a slow start once they get to the bigs or an injury they are going to get their lumps in when given a chance. They span the spectrum. Some of those kind of folks are fans and give their opinions on these types of forums and some are in the media.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems that some folks just have very little patience with prospects. Whether it be a slowdown in their development, a slow start once they get to the bigs or an injury they are going to get their lumps in when given a chance. They span the spectrum. Some of those kind of folks are fans and give their opinions on these types of forums and some are in the media.

Saw this time and time again with Perez on ESPN. Can't tell you how many fools I told needed to stick to football after reading their opinions on him and his development.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Second, wtf are freaking out about. This season never hinged on Profar's health. So again, I ask the question. What do you want the organization to do? Dump him?

Eh, I'm done with the Profar conversation. It is what it is.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bingo. I always say that if you have the time luxury to do so just let the prospects and kids get riped to the point where they might even be over riped. It happens...he's 21 with talent and I'm sure he'll be back fully healthy and ready to go.

Now will he ever meet the expectations he had? Who knows but welcome to sports.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers staff told him to have the damn surgery. Can't force him to go under the knife.

Yup I had it that the Rangers told him to wait:

A doctor said surgery would help solve the problem quicker than lifting weights and doing flexibility training.

“I don’t want to do that,” Profar said of the surgery. “I don’t want to lose another year of baseball.”

Nope you cant force him to have it and I'm sure they made him aware this was a possibility.

Its his body and I know he didn't want to miss any more time, but damn if I thought there was a chance this might happen I would have chosen the surgery then, to cut down the time you'd ultimately miss.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. The reasoning was Profar would just be the start of the package it would've taken to get Stanton. Not to mention our next top 5 prospects.

That's not true. This was before it was being talked about a whole lot. I'm not even sure if it was on this board or while I was still on ESPN. The reason I said is the reason people gave me.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup I had it that the Rangers told him to wait:

A doctor said surgery would help solve the problem quicker than lifting weights and doing flexibility training.

“I don’t want to do that,” Profar said of the surgery. “I don’t want to lose another year of baseball.”

Nope you cant force him to have it and I'm sure they made him aware this was a possibility.

Its his body and I know he didn't want to miss any more time, but damn if I thought there was a chance this might happen I would have chosen the surgery then, to cut down the time you'd ultimately miss.

If he would've had the surgery I'm pretty sure he'll be having back in September, he would've been playing minor league ball this season anyways. He was never gonna play in the bigs right out of camp anyways.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not true. This was before it was being talked about a whole lot. I'm not even sure if it was on this board or while I was still on ESPN. The reason I said is the reason people gave me.

We clearly remember it differently.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. And here I thought this was a forum of knowledgeable baseball fans.
First of all, you have every right to speak about however you feel about this. I for one don't have a problem with opinions even if I think you are really, really overreacting.

Did you express the same angst over Fielder missing just about all of last season because that hurt this team much worse than Profar missing a couple of years. Odor can come a whole lot closer to replacing Profar during those 2 years than anyone on the club can come to replacing the 30-35 HRs we thought we were getting from Prince. What about Harrison's injury? Did that upset you just as much or more because it has hurt us more too?

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're not going to answer the question? Got it. Because you didn't have a reasonable answer.

Oh, so it's like that. Petty, but I'll play along.

My answer to "what do the Rangers do with Profar?" is - at this point, I don't think they can count on him right now. For anything. Obviously they'll do what they can to get him healthy, but beyond that (which isn't a given), what sort of plan can they possibly have for him to contribute at the major league level? I've heard opinions that Profar could have been back on the Rangers as early as May depending on how he performed. But even then - and this really is paramount - he has missed an incredibly substantial and important amount of development ALREADY. And it's possible he could be doubling down on that.

So long story short, I think the Rangers should adjust the perspective on Profar and lower whatever ceiling they had him pegged at. Right now, whatever happens with him should be a bonus, not part of any plan for the future.

I'm sure "reasonable" is defined as "matching upwith your opinion", but frankly, I don't care.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's what we used to see regularly on ESPN and what we see on Facebook and even DMN on occasion. Just knee jerk fans that speak out of their ass many times.

I would give more credit with what has been brought to the forum previously, than to compare to those type posters. I think it a bit of an overreact but we do that sometimes as fans, but I haven't seen much of a case to say its just talking out of one's ass

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would have never given us Stanton for Profar. It would have taken much more. It would have been Profar, Perez and at lest 2 other highly touted prospects or young MLB players. We might have even had to throw in Feliz it it was prior to him being hurt. I really don't think Profar and Perez would have come close to being enough.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would give more credit with what has been brought to the forum previously, than to compare to those type posters. I think it a bit of an overreact but we do that sometimes as fans, but I haven't seen much of a case to say its just talking out of one's ass

I'm pretty much just speaking specifically on Ephland's posts regarding Profar. Other than that I don't recall anything asanine from him but his posts today on Profar remind me of ESPN or what I see on Facebook now.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, so it's like that. Petty, but I'll play along.

My answer to "what do the Rangers do with Profar?" is - at this point, I don't think they can count on him right now. For anything. Obviously they'll do what they can to get him healthy, but beyond that (which isn't a given), what sort of plan can they possibly have for him to contribute at the major league level? I've heard opinions that Profar could have been back on the Rangers as early as May depending on how he performed. But even then - and this really is paramount - he has missed an incredibly substantial and important amount of development ALREADY. And it's possible he could be doubling down on that.

So long story short, I think the Rangers should adjust the perspective on Profar and lower whatever ceiling they had him pegged at. Right now, whatever happens with him should be a bonus, not part of any plan for the future.

I'm sure "reasonable" is defined as "matching upwith your opinion", but frankly, I don't care.

The Rangers weren't counting on Profar being with the big club this season anyways. JD said that he'd start in AAA. The club was already in a wait and see mode with Profar. Short of an injury or massive underperformance by Odor, where would he play? See what I'm saying? The club wasn't counting on Profar to be a major contributor this year anyways. Frankly, their plan seemed to be to use this season to build his value back up in AAA.

The Rangers don't need to adjust anything. Just deal with the problem and rehab this kid, and continue his development. The talent is there. Whether he ever met his ceiling was anybody's guess even before the injury issue.

So again, I ask the question. What exactly do you want the Rangers to do with him? Launch him to the sun. You made a paragraph long post, and still didn't answer the damn question!

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would have never given us Stanton for Profar. It would have taken much more. It would have been Profar, Perez and at lest 2 other highly touted prospects or young MLB players. We might have even had to throw in Feliz it it was prior to him being hurt. I really don't think Profar and Perez would have come close to being enough.

Even then maybe they still wouldn't have accepted. Supposedly everybody was calling for Stanton's services and Miami just wanted to stand pat and not trade him.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, you have every right to speak about however you feel about this. I for one don't have a problem with opinions even if I think you are really, really overreacting.

Did you express the same angst over Fielder missing just about all of last season because that hurt this team much worse than Profar missing a couple of years. Odor can come a whole lot closer to replacing Profar during those 2 years than anyone on the club can come to replacing the 30-35 HRs we thought we were getting from Prince. What about Harrison's injury? Did that upset you just as much or more because it has hurt us more too?

First off, I'm not expressing "angst" over Profar's latest setback. I'm expressing "angst" at being called out for "talking out of my ass" and people "losing respect for my baseball opinion" and crap like that. Personally, losing Profar for another year doesn't hurt the team because they were already having to shuffle the deck thanks to him already losing 2014. In other words, losing Profar means nothing to me because I wasn't expecting him to contribute anything in 2015 either, even if healthy.

As for your questions, Harrison yes, more so than anyone. Fielder not so much, already a lost year.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, I'm not expressing "angst" over Profar's latest setback. I'm expressing "angst" at being called out for "talking out of my ass" and people "losing respect for my baseball opinion" and crap like that. Personally, losing Profar for another year doesn't hurt the team because they were already having to shuffle the deck thanks to him already losing 2014. In other words, losing Profar means nothing to me because I wasn't expecting him to contribute anything in 2015 either, even if healthy.

As for your questions, Harrison yes, more so than anyone. Fielder not so much, already a lost year.

As for your angst, how do you think or expect other posters would react on this forum when you say he's done and you just want to take your chanced on a talented infielder who is only 21 years old mind you?

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We clearly remember it differently

That's ok. No big deal. I know it would not have been straight up Profar for Stanton. I never said as much. Its not happening anyways. This just blows. I was hoping we would be able to deal One of them eventually.

I hope there is a miracle and Yoan Moncada holds off on signing.