• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preller got there and has totally revamped the team. Pretty amazing - at least on paper - what he's put together in one short off season.

He's also given up a fair amount. Could go either way.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preller got there and has totally revamped the team. Pretty amazing - at least on paper - what he's put together in one short off season.

Flip side of that is that expectations are now a lot higher for the Padres. But you're right, the dude made a splash.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's also given up a fair amount. Could go either way.

Agree.

I think he made some great 2015 moves, but we'll see if he gave too much in the future for short term gain.

But the franchise has been of no consequence for so long, I think I'd done the same thing.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Props to AJ Preller. He got him for under 80 million.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SD is now going full bore after Moncada. Preller is really determined to challenge the Dodgers and Giants

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Props to AJ Preller. He got him for under 80 million.

I gotta give AJ some credit whether it ultimately works or not, the guy has made an effort to try and compete, in a tough division to try and keep up in. I would love to see the Padres have some success out West.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta give AJ some credit whether it ultimately works or not, the guy has made an effort to try and compete, in a tough division to try and keep up in. I would love to see the Padres have some success out West.

They should be an 85 win team give or take a few.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The padres went on a spending spree. I think they could win 90+

Think about what division they play in. They have the Dodgers and Giants to compete with. It's possible but 85 is probably more in the realm of possibility.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would too; for several reasons.

One, it would be nice to see such a great city have a decent team. Second, I'd like to see AJ do well out there. He always seemed like a stand-up kind of guy to me.

And of course, I struggle with how the Dodgers have become the new Yankees.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When did this site start airing radio commercials?

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone hear The Musers discussion this morning on The Ticket about franchise valuations? I only heard the last part and didn't hear what source they were referencing or when the information was published. I believe they said the Rangers were valued at just a tad below $900 million. That would be up about 50% from when Davis and Simpson bought the team in 2010.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone hear The Musers discussion this morning on The Ticket about franchise valuations? I only heard the last part and didn't hear what source they were referencing or when the information was published. I believe they said the Rangers were valued at just a tad below $900 million. That would be up about 50% from when Davis and Simpson bought the team in 2010.

Forbes had Texas at 825 MM last March so that's probably right if they went up another 8% or more.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The latest, perhaps last on James Shields. At least from me anyway. ha

According to Buster Olney:

Shields did not take the best offer that was presented to him, according to ESPN’s Buster Olney (Twitter link). One team made the right-hander a four-year, $80MM contract offer. Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union-Tribune backs that up (also on Twitter) by noting that the Padres’ offer was “one of the highest,” adding that he had heard Shields was willing to take a small discount to pitch in San Diego.

That team wasn’t the Cubs, who topped out at three years and a vesting option, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports (on Twitter). Chicago wasn’t willing to guarantee Shields a contract in the mid-$70MM range after spending $175MM on Jon Lester and Jason Hammel already this offseason.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shields did not take the best offer that was presented to him, according to ESPN’s Buster Olney (Twitter link). One team made the right-hander a four-year, $80MM contract offer. Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union-Tribune backs that up (also on Twitter) by noting that the Padres’ offer was “one of the highest,” adding that he had heard Shields was willing to take a small discount to pitch in San Diego.

That team wasn’t the Cubs, who topped out at three years and a vesting option, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports (on Twitter). Chicago wasn’t willing to guarantee Shields a contract in the mid-$70MM range after spending $175MM on Jon Lester and Jason Hammel already this offseason.

Pretty sure the Giants offered 4 for 80 early this winter but James turned it down thinking there would be more money out there for him.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think we can assume that the "$110m deal" he was allegedly offered was fictional.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers on preparing for spring | texasrangers.com

Banister says establishing an identity in ST is crucial both for individuals and for the team collectively. He wants them to "respect everybody, fear no one."

JD says the LF, RF, and DH positions could more likely "all kind of fit together and work together" as opposed to someone laying "claim to a job and becoming a true regular", whatever that means.