• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers on preparing for spring | texasrangers.com

Banister says establishing an identity in ST is crucial both for individuals and for the team collectively. He wants them to "respect everybody, fear no one."

JD says the LF, RF, and DH positions could more likely "all kind of fit together and work together" as opposed to someone laying "claim to a job and becoming a true regular", whatever that means.

I don't know if I really like the sound of that. If Rua is on the team, he needs to be playing LF every day.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if I really like the sound of that. If Rua is on the team, he needs to be playing LF every day.

I'm not crazy about the quote either.

But let's hope Rua shows up and outright wins the position and put this "meshing together stuff via DH, LF, RF" to bed.

I kind of got the feeling he's really talking about getting everyone's favorite - MM - some time in the OF though.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, I don't know if you've heard, but Yu Darvish is pretty good.

Now that Wash is gone he might even be good enough to be our Opening Day pitcher for as long as he is here.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is really hard to figure out what he means. First of all he has sounded all offseason like he expects Rua to be the leading candidate. Also, if that means Rua isn't a leading candidate then Choo isn't one either since he included both corner OF positions. It is a real head scratcher.

Maybe he is just trying to promote a more competitive atmosphere, but he sure said it in an odd way.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is really hard to figure out what he means. First of all he has sounded all offseason like he expects Rua to be the leading candidate. Also, if that means Rua isn't a leading candidate then Choo isn't one either since he included both corner OF positions. It is a real head scratcher.

Maybe he is just trying to promote a more competitive atmosphere, but he sure said it in an odd way.

I'm all for making us and him believe he has to earn it.

Last edited by a moderator:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers on preparing for spring | texasrangers.com

Banister says establishing an identity in ST is crucial both for individuals and for the team collectively. He wants them to "respect everybody, fear no one."

JD says the LF, RF, and DH positions could more likely "all kind of fit together and work together" as opposed to someone laying "claim to a job and becoming a true regular", whatever that means.

i have no clue what he means so we'll just have to wait and see

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me it sounds like they are preparing for the possibility of rotating people in and out of the DH spot between LF and RF, since there isn't an established full-time DH (or LF for that matter) on the roster right now. Obviously you go through Spring Training and see how things shake out there, but I don't mind them being prepared for multiple scenarios.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In his "Pre-Spring Rankings" on ESPN.com, noted idiot David Schoenfield has the Rangers at #25 with a projected record of 71-91. He says the whole team is healthy but that they have no rotation outside of Darvish and Holland (he quickly dismisses Gallardo as only getting worse in the AL). Somehow, despite the Rangers being healthy, he thinks they'll only win 4 more games than last year.

Oh, and spoiler alert: he has the Rangers finishing dead last in the AL West.

MLB Ranking the teams: 30 through 25 - ESPN

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In his "Pre-Spring Rankings" on ESPN.com, noted idiot David Schoenfield has the Rangers at #25 with a projected record of 71-91. He says the whole team is healthy but that they have no rotation outside of Darvish and Holland (he quickly dismisses Gallardo as only getting worse in the AL). Somehow, despite the Rangers being healthy, he thinks they'll only win 4 more games than last year.

We might see a lot of similar rankings over the next few weeks.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If we are healthy then I do not see us doing that badly. Yu will need to pitch better against AL West teams though and I believe he will.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In my opinion, a healthy Darvish is worth 4 more victories all by himself. Same for Holland too.

I'm not predicting us to win the division just yet, but to insinuate we'll only win 4 more games with a healthy team is ridiculous.

And here's an article on where we'll be drafting:

Here’s where the Texas Rangers will pick in the 2015 MLB draft | Dallas Morning News

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point was that TEX has done that before ... high prospects for Lee to avoid salary ... and I didn't think that would be a good idea to repeat. Deja vu.

Missed your point. Oops and never mind then.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manager Jeff Banister on competition in the outfield and in the rotation: "It comes down to men working out and competing for a job. When you bring players into camp, the opportunity to compete for a job brings out the best and also shows some warts. Competition is our best barometer. We're looking for somebody to put their foot down and take a job."
Daniels said shortstop Elvis Andrus has been "very impressive" with his off-season workouts. Said Daniels, "He sat down with the staff at the end of the year and set out some physical conditioning goals and his routine. He met every one of those goals."

Prince is ready for Spring Training | texasrangers.com