• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2.7 MM showed up to watch a team lose nearly 100 games.

Yet, JD mentioned attendance being down a few days ago when mentioning that the budget would not go up and might even have to go down.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That might have been how many tickets were bought, but I guarantee that wasn't how many showed up.

That's irrelevant. If people bought 2.7MM tickets but didn't show up you still have those gate receipts.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet, JD mentioned attendance being down a few days ago when mentioning that the budget would not go up and might even have to go down.

I don't believe any talk about the budget until it's set. We were told Texas couldn't trade for Cliff Lee in 2010 because we were bankrupt. We still made it happen, so I ignore anything about budget.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's irrelevant. If people bought 2.7MM tickets but didn't show up you still have those gate receipts.

The lost parking revenue, the lost beer sales, the lost merchandise sales, the lost food and soft drink sales are anything but irrelevant. The team was hurt significantly financially by fans not showing up.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe any talk about the budget until it's set. We were told Texas couldn't trade for Cliff Lee in 2010 because we were bankrupt. We still made it happen, so I ignore anything about budget.

That is your choice, but I think that is equivalent to sticking your head in the sand. No one proclaimed a mid season budget when Lee was acquired and a ownership change was on its way. A budget has been spoken about now. JD has had every opportunity to say "no comment" when asked about the budget which he usually does when he doesn't want to tell the truth. He made similar pronouncements last ofseason and kept his word. The Opening Day budget was very close to what he said it would be the previous October.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's far from irrelevant. When they don't show up they don't buy concessions or merchandise. That's why I said attendance. How many people attended.

Edit: I didn't see that Saddles responded with something similar. I wish they would install auto-update on this site.

Last edited by a moderator:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lost parking revenue, the lost beer sales, the lost merchandise sales, the lost food and soft drink sales are anything but irrelevant. The team was hurt significantly financially by fans not showing up.

If I remember correctly the team "estimated" they lost approximately $10 mil in revenue due to the lack of butts-in-seats.

It's great to sell tickets. But when a ticket isn't actually utilized, it really hurts the bottom line for reasons you/Justin stated.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No question the revenue was lost but I don't think the budget will be affected because of this. I think going into each off season the team has a budget and strategy in place but I think there is flexibility. They won 67 games last season so ownership has to obviously think that some revenue would be lost. That said this is still a big market franchise and if the right deals/free agents come up for grabs, I don't have any doubt that ownership and JD will make the necessary moves to make things happen even if it results in the payroll increasing.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No question the revenue was lost but I don't think the budget will be affected because of this. I think going into each off season the team has a budget and strategy in place but I think there is flexibility. They won 67 games last season so ownership has to obviously think that some revenue would be lost. That said this is still a big market franchise and if the right deals/free agents come up for grabs, I don't have any doubt that ownership and JD will make the necessary moves to make things happen even if it results in the payroll increasing.

Yes, we are a big market team and that is why I don't understand why last year's budget wasn't more like $155 million. But , it really doesn't matter what I understand. It matters what JD and the owners want to do and like last year they want a budget close to about $132 million. I don't like it, but I am not going to fool myself into thinking they don't mean what they say this year. I held out hope that they didn't mean it last year and it got to be than not even a very cheap Nelson Cruz could make them spend over $140 million.

I will believe JD is lying about the budget when I see it. Some see a smoke screen; I see a smoke signal.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, we are a big market team and that is why I don't understand why last year's budget wasn't more like $155 million. But , it really doesn't matter what I understand. It matters what JD and the owners want to do and like last year they want a budget close to about $132 million. I don't like it, but I am not going to fool myself into thinking they don't mean what they say this year. I held out hope that they didn't mean it last year and it got to be than not even a very cheap Nelson Cruz could make them spend over $140 million.

I will believe JD is lying about the budget when I see it. Some see a smoke screen; I see a smoke signal.

difference between an optimist and a pessimist

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
difference between an optimist and a pessimist

Hey, at least I am optimistic about JD telling the truth. I am thinking positive about JD while others are expecting him to lie. There is always more than one way to look at things.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, at least I am optimistic about JD telling the truth. I am thinking positive about JD while others are expecting him to lie. There is always more than one way to look at things.

that may be true but the only way to put butts in the seats is to put a team on the field that fans believe will compete and so i optimistically view JD's comments as a smoke screen and that they will do what is necessary to field a competitive team.

we may both think that way we just have different views of how to accomplish it. i think we have to sign or trade for at least one quality starter and that we need another quality bat preferably a DH.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that may be true but the only way to put butts in the seats is to put a team on the field that fans believe will compete and so i optimistically view JD's comments as a smoke screen and that they will do what is necessary to field a competitive team.

we may both think that way we just have different views of how to accomplish it. i think we have to sign or trade for at least one quality starter and that we need another quality bat preferably a DH.

Yes this team can use added pieces but if everyone is healthy I think they're a team that can surely compete and won't be anything close to what they were last year.

I think a lot of people forget just how much injuries derailed the whole season even before season's start.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Arizona Diamondbacks are expected to announce their hiring of Chip Hale as manager on Monday, reports Bob Nightengale of USA TODAY.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes this team can use added pieces but if everyone is healthy I think they're a team that can surely compete and won't be anything close to what they were last year.

I think a lot of people forget just how much injuries derailed the whole season even before season's start.

other than Yu, Derek and Colby(if they re-sign him), the Rangers don't have anyone else that i view as a season-long starter. they have several that i view as part-time or short time starters so we need at least 1 starter.

i think we're reasonable solid at every position except backup 1st baseman/DH which is why i think we need to bring in a solid bat to fill that spot

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
other than Yu, Derek and Colby(if they re-sign him), the Rangers don't have anyone else that i view as a season-long starter. they have several that i view as part-time or short time starters so we need at least 1 starter.

i think we're reasonable solid at every position except backup 1st baseman/DH which is why i think we need to bring in a solid bat to fill that spot

What about Holland.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We do need a good DH option.