• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do any of you see a problem with the fact that Cashner has pitched in SD. Seems some who have pitched there have struggled in the AL.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do any of you see a problem with the fact that Cashner has pitched in SD. Seems some who have pitched there have struggled in the AL.

His home/away splits are a little troubling. Looking at the splits he's had his worst time pitching at San Fran, Citi Field, and Miller Park.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His home/away splits are a little troubling. Looking at the splits he's had his worst time pitching at San Fran, Citi Field, and Miller Park.

Thanks, good to know. Something to use in driving the price down if a move was made for him.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps, but that 50+ groundball rate would do well in most parks

Yes the ground ball rate is nice, but his HR/9 and HR/FB% would both go up in Texas. Hopefully it would only mean about a run added to his ERA. Would probably bring his ERA closer in line with his peripherals.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, good to know. Something to use in driving the price down if a move was made for him.

Does that mean he would be less valuable for us as well because of the splits?

Wouldn't it just take one other team to ignore those 3 starts in those three ballparks in 2014 to jack up his price?

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does that mean he would be less valuable for us as well because of the splits?

Wouldn't it just take one other team to ignore those 3 starts in those three ballparks in 2014 to jack up his price?

He has other away starts too. That was just this season. His career road splits aren't horrible, but they are considerably higher than his home numbers. I doubt he puts up a 2.39 home ERA in a park like Globe Life or any other run inflationary park. Yes Globe Life has been a more home run suppressing park than in years past, but runs still occur at a good clip there. Some triples were more likely to happen in Texas than any other place this past season. Our defense must have been really poor.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has other away starts too. That was just this season. His career road splits aren't horrible, but they are considerably higher than his home numbers. I doubt he puts up a 2.39 home ERA in a park like Globe Life or any other run inflationary park. Yes Globe Life has been a more home run suppressing park than in years past, but runs still occur at a good clip there. Some triples were more likely to happen in Texas than any other place this past season. Our defense must have been really poor.

But how much will that affect SD in what they ask for him? They will have a lot of teams to shop him too if they decide to shop him, and that is a very big if, and only one of those teams plays here. I think if for some reason they traded him this offseason they would get a big haul for him.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not taking into consideration salary b/c I don't think its the big deal its being made out to be, I think its just the company line and a smoke screen

I think what they would make would be totally able to fit into our budget without axing anyone, b/c lets be fair the guys who are eating a big chunk of the budget aren't going anywhere (Fielder, Choo, Beltre, Darvish, Holland, Andrus, etc...)

:clap: I agree.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will the Padres shell out for Cuban free agent Yasmany Tomas? | UTSanDiego.com

In reading this article it doesn't appear that the Padres will be looking to trade away talent any time soon. They reportedly have substantial interest in Yasmani Tomas.

"The Padres opened the 2014 season with a record payroll bordering on $90 million, and ownership has indicated that that figure will continue to grow. With just under $41 million currently committed for 2015, the club has not made public next year’s targeted sum.“We have a ‘placeholder’ amount for budget purposes regarding MLB payroll,” Fowler said. “However, given all the options that A.J. is considering, we are not prepared to release a number at this time.”

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will the Padres shell out for Cuban free agent Yasmany Tomas? | UTSanDiego.com

In reading this article it doesn't appear that the Padres will be looking to trade away talent any time soon. They reportedly have substantial interest in Yasmani Tomas.

"The Padres opened the 2014 season with a record payroll bordering on $90 million, and ownership has indicated that that figure will continue to grow. With just under $41 million currently committed for 2015, the club has not made public next year’s targeted sum.“We have a ‘placeholder’ amount for budget purposes regarding MLB payroll,” Fowler said. “However, given all the options that A.J. is considering, we are not prepared to release a number at this time.”

I read that earlier. It seems that the Rangers interest followed Preller when he went to SD. Maybe he was the one most interested in him. A lot of GMs like to make a splash when they arrive.

I was more interested in Tomas in the beginning. Until I heard the 100M price tag being floated around. While the report says he moves very well for a big guy, he seems to be another guy that would be an eventual DH. We all know we don't need any more of those at this point. I think I would be excited if we did sign him because we need RH power, but I'm ok with passing on this one as well.

I wanted Abreu, but I'm not sure anyone expected him to put up those type numbers in his first season. He's the reason Tomas is about to get overpaid...... IMO :pound:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can almost always improve at any position, but that wasn't the question. You said that if we went with those guys the results would be just as bad as 2014 and that simply isn't true. It would not be just as bad. That has nothing to do with us having room for improvement in that area though. You seem to not be able to understand that.

and you said we would be better and i said that you can't say that either. we don't know if we we will be better or worse with those guys (not talking about YU, Derek or Colby).

and i do think we can do better than what we have besides the big 3. you don't seem to understand that.

Last edited by a moderator:

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and you said we would be better and i said that you can't say that either. we don't know if we we will be better or worse with those guys (not talking about YU, Derek or Colby).

and i do think we can do better than what we have besides the big 3. you don't seem to understand that.

Nice pissing contest you two have going on here.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We will be better simply because Holland will pitch for a whole year and not one month. Also because Colby will pitch for an entire year being used to his new stride. That is easy to know. You just hate the prospect of Nick and Nick pitching for us next year so much that you aren't even allowing yourself to think clearly about what you are saying. You will not admit that Derek and Colby by themselves makes us better than 2014 no matter if the Nicks improve or not.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will be better simply because Holland will pitch for a whole year and not one month. Also because Colby will pitch for an entire year being used to his new stride. That is easy to know. You just hate the prospect of Nick and Nick pitching for us next year so much that you aren't even allowing yourself to think clearly about what you are saying. You will not admit that Derek and Colby by themselves makes us better than 2014 no matter if the Nicks improve or not.
He took into account the "big 3". You are right beyond there. He evidently doesn't agree that the Nicks will be any better in 2015. I agree that the experience this year should make them better. The question is how much. ST will tell the story.