• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big deal last year? We added Fielder and Choo, based on what JD said from the start, that wouldn't have happened if it was the big deal you were making it out to be

Yes, and that put them slightly over their budgeted amount. I said that before. It was a big deal last year or we could have gone out and spent on Cruz, Abreu and/or a more expensive catcher, but we couldn't. We couldn't go out and get better pitching last offseason either because of the budget.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ogando and Moreland each made $2.6 million in 2014. That gets us up to about $7 million to bring aboard and the two guys replacing them are going to make $1 million together at least if they are replaced by rookies. That leaves about $6 million.

That isn't going to come anywhere close to paying for the kind of pitchers that have been mentioned on here. People are saying we have to get 2 pitchers. You would also need a backup catcher. Latos probaly makes the most sense to consider trading for as far as availability goes and he will probably cost $10 million or more in arbitration.

McCarthy will NOT make 10 million a year next year as he did this past season, maybe 16 over 2 years, if that, due to his injury history

Cashner is arbitration eligible and only made 2.4 million, he's not going to get a huge jump maybe to 5 million

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
didn't say anything about Derek? i have no faith in Martinez or Tepesch. besides Yu. Derek & Colby i have absolutely no faith in any of the other arms that started for us and therefore hope that we find better option than them thru trade or FA. as short term spot starters maybe they help but not as full time

You can almost always improve at any position, but that wasn't the question. You said that if we went with those guys the results would be just as bad as 2014 and that simply isn't true. It would not be just as bad. That has nothing to do with us having room for improvement in that area though. You seem to not be able to understand that.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, and that put them slightly over their budgeted amount. I said that before. It was a big deal last year or we could have gone out and spent on Cruz, Abreu and/or a more expensive catcher, but we couldn't. We couldn't go out and get better pitching last offseason either because of the budget.

No we offered Cruz a fair contract and he rejected it, done and done, we would've gone more over if he had accepted it

There wasn't a catcher to be had anyway, best it got was Soto and AJPierz

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No we offered Cruz a fair contract and he rejected it, done and done, we would've gone more over if he had accepted it

There wasn't a catcher to be had anyway, best it got was Soto and AJPierz

McCann was available. They only offered Cruz the money when they knew he would turn it down. Once his demands went down we had no money left because JD didn't want to go over the budget any further. If Cruz had shocked them and accepted their initial offer then there would have been no Choo signing.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCann was available. They only offered Cruz the money when they knew he would turn it down. Once his demands went down we had no money left because JD didn't want to go over the budget any further. If Cruz had shocked them and accepted their initial offer then there would have been no Choo signing.

Forgot about McCann but that kind of money on a catcher is pretty foolish anyway, I don't see that as a budget constraint, just being smart

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCarthy will NOT make 10 million a year next year as he did this past season, maybe 16 over 2 years, if that, due to his injury history

Cashner is arbitration eligible and only made 2.4 million, he's not going to get a huge jump maybe to 5 million

Cashner is a long shot at best though. He has 2 years left and SD will want a ton for him. Sure he would be cheap salary-wise, but that will make him very expensive prospect-wise especially with him having 2 years left. A pitcher like that brings back a good bit at the deadline when he only has a half of a season left. They would ask for Joey and then say they will settle for Chi Chi, Jackson and Mazara. Or they might take Chi Chi, Alfaro and Brinson.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot about McCann but that kind of money on a catcher is pretty foolish anyway, I don't see that as a budget constraint, just being smart

JD sees it as being smart also. That same thinking will make him forego most of the guys that have been tossed around on here.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cashner is a long shot at best though. He has 2 years left and SD will want a ton for him. Sure he would be cheap salary-wise, but that will make him very expensive prospect-wise especially with him having 2 years left. A pitcher like that brings back a good bit at the deadline when he only has a half of a season left. They would ask for Joey and then say they will settle for Chi Chi, Jackson and Mazara. Or they might take Chi Chi, Alfaro and Brinson.

HAHA, thats not even close

They COULD ask about some of those guys, but why would they expect anything but uproarious laughter?

Brinson, Williams, Sardinas, Nick Martinez (would probably do well in their park), and I'm sure there are some solid filler pieces around in the minors somewhere

But Gallo, Chi Chi, Mazara and Alfaro aren't going anywhere

Even Jackson I could see due to his struggles last year

I could deal with losing those guys, but I wouldn't give them ALL by any means

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD sees it as being smart also. That same thinking will make him forego most of the guys that have been tossed around on here.

McCarthy on a 2 year deal IS smart

Cashner IS smart, as long as you don't overpay (which he won't do for Cashner), especially for the guys you just queued up

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HAHA, thats not even close

They COULD ask about some of those guys, but why would they expect anything but uproarious laughter?

Brinson, Williams, Sardinas, Nick Martinez (would probably do well in their park), and I'm sure there are some solid filler pieces around in the minors somewhere

But Gallo, Chi Chi, Mazara and Alfaro aren't going anywhere

Even Jackson I could see due to his struggles last year

I could deal with losing those guys, but I wouldn't give them ALL by any means

They wouldn't take your offer. They could get more elsewhere.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCarthy on a 2 year deal IS smart

Cashner IS smart, as long as you don't overpay (which he won't do for Cashner), especially for the guys you just queued up

Cashner is a very long shot since SD will probably keep him for awhile and he would be more expensive than you think he would be anyway. I don't expect McCarthy to come quite as cheap as you expect and I would be very cautious about signing him to more than a one year deal. With all of the problems we have had with injuries it seems we might want to avoid McCarthy.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cashner is a very long shot since SD will probably keep him for awhile and he would be more expensive than you think he would be anyway. I don't expect McCarthy to come quite as cheap as you expect and I would be very cautious about signing him to more than a one year deal. With all of the problems we have had with injuries it seems we might want to avoid McCarthy.

I disagree and think you are overvaluing him a bit, but hey, opinions vary, but at least I can understand these are just that, opinions

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree and think you are overvaluing him a bit, but hey, opinions vary, but at least I can understand these are just that, opinions

I worry the Yankees will drive up the price on McCarthy, and he did enjoy playing there. He might not be so easily attainable because of that. That and pitching costs even with the injury history are inflated. He could seriously get 3/36 from NY. Idk if Texas would be willing to match or beat that.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's right. That is one of the things that makes baseball a great sport.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I worry the Yankees will drive up the price on McCarthy, and he did enjoy playing there. He might not be so easily attainable because of that. That and pitching costs even with the injury history are inflated. He could seriously get 3/36 from NY. Idk if Texas would be willing to match or beat that.

Agreed, but that doesn't mean you don't do your due diligence

Just b/c JD said budget doesn't mean I take him at his word for it, he's pretty good at the smokescreen misdirection game

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's right. That is one of the things that makes baseball a great sport.

Then treat it like an opinion, you act your word is the final gospel

It's not "I disagree" its usually "you're wrong" or "that's not going to happen" like you are the public forum mouth piece for JD and the front office or something

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I sure hope they wouldn't be willing to match that or anything close to that for McCarthy.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That would be too much in both years (multiple DL stints) and money to me. You may be right but the Yankees can have him for that much.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then treat it like an opinion, you act your word is the final gospel

It's not "I disagree" its usually "you're wrong" or "that's not going to happen" like you are the public forum mouth piece for JD and the front office or something

That's funny. Of course it is opinions. When discussing this with you I never used the term "you're wrong". Even though every time we state our opinions we are in essence saying that we think others with differing opinions are wrong. There is nothing wrong with thinking differing opinions are wrong unless you decide to make a personal issue out of it and belittle someone for their differing opinions. Everything I say on here is my opinion whether I bother to include "IMO" or not.

It is my opinion that a pitcher like Cashner who is only 28 and who is in team control for two more years and who has a career ERA of under 3.00 as a starter is going to require a very big return in a trade. It is my opinion that MCCarthy is going to require us giving up too much money for an oft-injured pitcher when we have struggled with injuries so much the past couple of seasons.

It is my opinion that JD has been very truthful in the past when he makes a clear statement about what the budget was to be and that we can expect him to continue being honest about the budget. It is my opinion that a lot of the improvements that some on here want to make are not feasible under current budget constraints. It is my opinion that some on here are so in love with the idea of improving the club that they are ignoring things like the budget and how much it would cost to acquire the players they want to acquire. I have been guilty of doing the same things in the past.

It is also my opinion that almost everyone on here states their opinions whether they say it is their opinion or not. It is also my opinion that when they state that they have a differing opinion from someone else they are actually saying the other person is wrong. That is no big deal to me as long as they aren't disrespectful about it. Then, that is just my opinion.