• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would still go after Cueto or Latos and then letting the rest of the guys fill out the last 2 spots. Hope fully they wouldn't want us to take Brandon Phillips back because that's a deal breaker. I might also talk to Preller and see what it would take to get Cashner. Maybe Gio Gonzalez would be another I'd look into.

I was saying FA's since the comment was "we need to sign a 3 hole pitcher."

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for pitching next season, I'd really like to see us sign 2 guys - middle of rotation types (3/4) - and it can come from FA or via trade.

If we go into next season without adding any arms, what happens if a guy or two goes down for a few weeks or worse? We'll be right back like we were this season, and that means putting guys into the rotation who need to be in AA/AAA for seasoning.

I'd like to see Martinez in AAA to start season.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is absolutely no doubt that the pitching in 2015 will be better if Holland and Lewis stay healthy and if Tepesch and Martinez continue to improve.

But the problem is those are BIG if's. In this dream scenario, you're getting full healthy seasons from a pitcher coming off major knee surgery and another older pitcher who has twice undergone major surgery within the past year. Maybe they both stay healthy, but recent history suggests that isn't a given. Also, Nick Tepesch and Nick Martinez are far from sure bets. Both have earned their chance at being part of the rotation, but even their ceilings suggest they won't be more than back-end types.

Suggesting the Rangers don't need starting pitching is hoping that everything goes 100% right. If even one of those guys breaks down, then who comes to the rescue? Miles Mikolas again? Tanner Scheppers? He belongs in the pen along with Ross. Matt Harrison and his decaying body? I'm not counting on much from Martin Perez this season either.

Pursuing a solid #2-#3 type would add much needed depth. It would push Colby to the 4th slot and make Tepesch and Martinez compete for the last spot. I'm not saying break the bank to sign Scherzer or Lester, but there's no such thing as having too much good pitching.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for pitching next season, I'd really like to see us sign 2 guys - middle of rotation types (3/4) - and it can come from FA or via trade.

If we go into next season without adding any arms, what happens if a guy or two goes down for a few weeks or worse? We'll be right back like we were this season, and that means putting guys into the rotation who need to be in AA/AAA for seasoning.

I'd like to see Martinez in AAA to start season.

Yes, exactly!!

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is absolutely no doubt that the pitching in 2015 will be better if Holland and Lewis stay healthy and if Tepesch and Martinez continue to improve.

But the problem is those are BIG if's. In this dream scenario, you're getting full healthy seasons from a pitcher coming off major knee surgery and another older pitcher who has twice undergone major surgery within the past year. Maybe they both stay healthy, but recent history suggests that isn't a given. Also, Nick Tepesch and Nick Martinez are far from sure bets. Both have earned their chance at being part of the rotation, but even their ceilings suggest they won't be more than back-end types.

Suggesting the Rangers don't need starting pitching is hoping that everything goes 100% right. If even one of those guys breaks down, then who comes to the rescue? Miles Mikolas again? Tanner Scheppers? He belongs in the pen along with Ross. Matt Harrison and his decaying body? I'm not counting on much from Martin Perez this season either.

Pursuing a solid #2-#3 type would add much needed depth. It would push Colby to the 4th slot and make Tepesch and Martinez compete for the last spot. I'm not saying break the bank to sign Scherzer or Lester, but there's no such thing as having too much good pitching.

The issue is scotsman and his inability to discern what "logically" means

Logically it should be better, but logic isn't reality either

No one is saying to do nothing, but to state that for a fact that the pitching will be worse if we don't is false

Logically it should be better

Signing McCarthy or trading for Cashner would be big IMO, if not BOTH, as well all know McCarthy's injury history and also just witnessed this debacle of a season

Darvish, Holland, McCarthy, Cashner and Lewis/Martinez/Tepesch would make me feel a lot better about next season

Agreed about Martinez pitching in AAA next year, he needs to develop a pitch that allows him to generate more groundballs, b/c 32% doesn't cut it when it comes to his inability to miss bats as well

In fact he looks like a pitcher that could do well in a place like San Diego or Seattle

Last edited by a moderator:

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to know how we are going to sign anyone under the current budget constraints. JD has said in numerous places that the budget would be either the same as last season or maybe even slightly less. The difference in what will be gone from last year's budget minus what has to be added through raises is less than $2 million. Until some salary is removed via cuts or trades I don't think anyone should be expecting any certain level of salary to be brought aboard either through trades or free agency.

We will have to trade veterans to make room under the budget. Everyone wanted to trade Elvis, but with Profar's shoulder Elvis can't be traded. Many want to get rid of Ogando and Moreland, but even if we can do that that is not going to free up a whole lot either.

For those of you who think we have to bring in anything close to significant in salary how do you propose we make room in the budget to do so. Who can we trade away and what are we getting back and are you willing to let lesser and cheaper guys replace the ones traded away?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue is scotsman and his inability to discern what "logically" means

Logically it should be better, but logic isn't reality either

No one is saying to do nothing, but to state that for a fact that the pitching will be worse if we don't is false

Logically it should be better

Signing McCarthy or trading for Cashner would be big IMO, if not BOTH, as well all know McCarthy's injury history and also just witnessed this debacle of a season

Darvish, Holland, McCarthy, Cashner and Lewis/Martinez/Tepesch would make me feel a lot better about next season

Agreed about Martinez pitching in AAA next year, he needs to develop a pitch that allows him to generate more groundballs, b/c 32% doesn't cut it when it comes to his inability to miss bats as well

In fact he looks like a pitcher that could do well in a place like San Diego or Seattle

How much is Cashner and McCarthy going to cost in salary and who do we trade to make room for that increase in salary?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you saying that Derek will pitch no better than Saunders, Williams, Scheppers and Ross? Are you saying that you didn't see any improvement in Colby, Nick M. or Nick T. as the year went along? Are you saying that the youngsters have reached their ceiling already and that they will pitch no better from here on out than they pitched overall in 2014? Are you saying that you saw no improvement in Colby as he adjusted to his new stride?

didn't say anything about Derek? i have no faith in Martinez or Tepesch. besides Yu. Derek & Colby i have absolutely no faith in any of the other arms that started for us and therefore hope that we find better option than them thru trade or FA. as short term spot starters maybe they help but not as full time

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can say what you want, but we definitely have to learn from last years mistake. Signing a 3 hole type pitcher needs to be top priority.

Whether we should sign someone or not wasn't the topic. The topic was if Darvish, Derek, Colby, Nick T, and Nick M. would be an upgrade over the 2014 pitching staff.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much is Cashner and McCarthy going to cost in salary and who do we trade to make room for that increase in salary?

I'm not taking into consideration salary b/c I don't think its the big deal its being made out to be, I think its just the company line and a smoke screen

I think what they would make would be totally able to fit into our budget without axing anyone, b/c lets be fair the guys who are eating a big chunk of the budget aren't going anywhere (Fielder, Choo, Beltre, Darvish, Holland, Andrus, etc...)

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It isn't that they don't need starting pitching. The question is if any of these guys will accept Monopoly money.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to know how we are going to sign anyone under the current budget constraints. JD has said in numerous places that the budget would be either the same as last season or maybe even slightly less. The difference in what will be gone from last year's budget minus what has to be added through raises is less than $2 million. Until some salary is removed via cuts or trades I don't think anyone should be expecting any certain level of salary to be brought aboard either through trades or free agency.

We will have to trade veterans to make room under the budget. Everyone wanted to trade Elvis, but with Profar's shoulder Elvis can't be traded. Many want to get rid of Ogando and Moreland, but even if we can do that that is not going to free up a whole lot either.

For those of you who think we have to bring in anything close to significant in salary how do you propose we make room in the budget to do so. Who can we trade away and what are we getting back and are you willing to let lesser and cheaper guys replace the ones traded away?

Its JD speak, a smoke screen, he'll have some money to work with

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ogando (6.25) and Moreland (2.65) made almost 9 million last year

Possibly Matt Harrison through insurance (I honestly think he's done)

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not taking into consideration salary b/c I don't think its the big deal its being made out to be, I think its just the company line and a smoke screen

I think what they would make would be totally able to fit into our budget without axing anyone, b/c lets be fair the guys who are eating a big chunk of the budget aren't going anywhere (Fielder, Choo, Beltre, Darvish, Holland, Andrus, etc...)

It certainly was a big deal last year. They did go slightly over the budget last year, but only slightly. JD has never came out and lied to us about a budget before. Whether you call it a smoke screen or a lie that isn't JD's MO. If he says it will be the same as last year or slightly less I would be surprised if it is more than $5 million more than last year. That is based on JD's history when it comes to such things.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't that they don't need starting pitching. The question is if any of these guys will accept Monopoly money.

I think the team is more concerned with being fiscally repsonsible, not necessarily not spending money, money will be made available to sign the needed people to compete next year IMO

Its not like people are advocating for Shields now

McCarthy made 10 million last year based him being something he wasn't, that number will come down, Cashner will make more than 2.4 million but no more than 5 in arbitration

I would say both could be had for around 10-12 million in financial commitments next year

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It certainly was a big deal last year. They did go slightly over the budget last year, but only slightly. JD has never came out and lied to us about a budget before. Whether you call it a smoke screen or a lie that isn't JD's MO. If he says it will be the same as last year or slightly less I would be surprised if it is more than $5 million more than last year. That is based on JD's history when it comes to such things.

We've also never been shy about adding needed pieces either, budget be damned

We're not going to sign a 20+ million player but we also will spend a little money as well

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Big deal last year? We added Fielder and Choo, based on what JD said from the start, that wouldn't have happened if it was the big deal you were making it out to be

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ogando (6.25) and Moreland (2.65) made almost 9 million last year

Possibly Matt Harrison through insurance (I honestly think he's done)

Ogando and Moreland each made $2.6 million in 2014. That gets us up to about $7 million to bring aboard and the two guys replacing them are going to make $1 million together at least if they are replaced by rookies. That leaves about $6 million.

That isn't going to come anywhere close to paying for the kind of pitchers that have been mentioned on here. People are saying we have to get 2 pitchers. You would also need a backup catcher. Latos probaly makes the most sense to consider trading for as far as availability goes and he will probably cost $10 million or more in arbitration.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ogando and Moreland each made $2.6 million in 2014. That gets us up to about $7 million to bring aboard and the two guys replacing them are going to make $1 million together at least if they are replaced by rookies. That leaves about $6 million.

That isn't going to come anywhere close to paying for the kind of pitchers that have been mentioned on here. People are saying we have to get 2 pitchers. You would also need a backup catcher. Latos probaly makes the most sense to consider trading for as far as availability goes and he will probably cost $10 million or more in arbitration.

Then ESPN has bad info, b/c thats what I happened to have open