• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doing well here. Not liking the off season so far though. Thinking if we do get Hunter, Rua and others truly plan to be trade fodder next week for a pitcher. Hope it's a good one if so.

Baylor! #5 with a bullet!!

Not liking the rangers off season so far either. But it is still early. Maybe something will happen during the winter meetings. I rather not sign Hunter. Kinda of soured on signing a position player past the age of 35 after the Berkman deal.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not liking the rangers off season so far either. But it is still early. Maybe something will happen during the winter meetings. I rather not sign Hunter. Kinda of soured on signing a position player past the age of 35 after the Berkman deal.

Very different scenario IMO.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'd play slightly above average defense in a COF spot and be a nice fit for the #2 spot. I still say I wouldn't hate him on a 1 year deal. If he tanks, so what? It doesn't hurt us long term.

I think you're right on all points.

But for me, if we aren't going to increase budget much, if any, then let's use our available funds on starting pitching.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. I don't care how you feel about it. That's funny, but a little short sighted and knee jerk.

Fully agree... though I'm still unsure where I land on getting him or not.

On one hand - 1yr deal seems nice. Slide him in the 2 spot and move Elvis the fuck out of it.
On the other... He's the best we could do? I know it provides a stop gap for others (Gallo, Mazara, Rua, etc)... but really?

And no, I'm not comfortable with seeing what Rua/Smolinski/Choice can do in his place. Ideally, Rua would be a super utility (think Zobrist)..that can play COF and the IF spots.... not the everyday starting LF.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're right on all points.

But for me, if we aren't going to increase budget much, if any, then let's use our available funds on starting pitching.

They've said all along the pitching would come through trades instead of FA signings...

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've said all along the pitching would come through trades instead of FA signings...

Yeah I know. But I disagree with this.

First, our system doesn't need to be gutted of younger, cheaper talent.

Second, due to the "everything and anything bad happening in 2014" this leaves us with so many question marks for 2015, I'd like to see us use our budget on pitching, and not a one year stop gap in LF. Any team can always use pitching; pretty much anyway.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fully agree... though I'm still unsure where I land on getting him or not.

On one hand - 1yr deal seems nice. Slide him in the 2 spot and move Elvis the fuck out of it.
On the other... He's the best we could do? I know it provides a stop gap for others (Gallo, Mazara, Rua, etc)... but really?

And no, I'm not comfortable with seeing what Rua/Smolinski/Choice can do in his place. Ideally, Rua would be a super utility (think Zobrist)..that can play COF and the IF spots.... not the everyday starting LF.

Kind of surprised that Smolinski is not mentioned since he was ridiculous when called up.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I know. But I disagree with this.

First, our system doesn't need to be gutted of younger, cheaper talent.

Second, due to the "everything and anything bad happening in 2014" this leaves us with so many question marks for 2015, I'd like to see us use our budget on pitching, and not a one year stop gap in LF. Any team can always use pitching; pretty much anyway.

Guess there's always Melky or Mike Morse too though... (instead of a 40yr old Hunter)

Pitching wise - Brett Anderson, McCarthy, and maybe Masterson are the ones I'd target. Since the big $$$ guys are a pipe dream.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of surprised that Smolinski is not mentioned since he was ridiculous when called up.

I'm still undecided on him. He was a minor league FA for a reason... so was last year just a fluke?
Ideally, I'd like to see him start in AAA.. then go from there.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if one is playing in LF and the other is playing 1B and Fielder is DHing

Given a chance, I could see Rua putting up numbers similar to Hunter 15-20 HRs and 80ish RBIs, not ideal numbers from a COF, but better than paying Hunter 8-10 million to do the same thing

Giving our young guys a chance and them panning out (plus SMART free agent moves) is what allowed us to become a contender, for them to pan out, we have to give them a chance

Giving that kind of money to Hunter is not smart

i agree about Hunter don't want him. given the choice i would like to see us work a trade for a starting pitcher like Latos or one of the SD pitchers (not Kennedy) and then if we could pull off another trade for Upton that would be nice too. but if not then for sure get a SP and go with the young guys.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i don't like it so far. rather see us go after SP either thru trade or FA and a COF thru trade. yes it would cost us some prospects & Profar.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A year of Hunter is a year less development in a big league setting by one of our younger players. I think it would be a big mistake.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember when Hunter had the comments several years back he doesn't think blacks from Latin America aren't really black and nothing like blacks from America like they're fake black or something. That never made any sense to me. Knucklehead.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree about Hunter don't want him. given the choice i would like to see us work a trade for a starting pitcher like Latos or one of the SD pitchers (not Kennedy) and then if we could pull off another trade for Upton that would be nice too. but if not then for sure get a SP and go with the young guys.

If we make a trade for Latos, then trade for a SD pitcher, and then finally another trade for Upton, we won't have to worry about the young guys, because we won't have any.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember when Hunter had the comments several years back he doesn't think blacks from Latin America aren't really black and nothing like blacks from America like they're fake black or something. That never made any sense to me. Knucklehead.

Apparently only blacks of "African heritage" are black enough for Hunter.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently only blacks of "African heritage" are black enough for Hunter.

My history is a bit blurry as it's been some years but it was the Spanish, Portuguese and Dutch that imported the Africans to Latin America etc. So I mean it still confuses me as to why he'd be so dumb enough to say something like that.