• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 offseason thread

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really wish we could get this guy. He should easily be a top 10 pick this year. He's a dominant 3 Technique in this league for years to come.

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Joe Staley - T - 49ers

Yahoo Sports' Rand Getlin reports the 49ers are considering re-doing LT Joe Staley's contract.

Staley signed a six-year extension in 2009, but he has outplayed the contract and the 49ers are looking to reward the All-Pro tackle. Including the playoffs, Staley has started 56 straight games for the 49ers at left tackle and has been to three straight Pro Bowls. Staley will be 30 when the 2014 season begins.
Source: Rand Getlin on Twitter

Mar 29 - 2:00 PM

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yates talking about Andrea Johnson to 49ers for 2md and 5th. He said its just an Trade Idea.

I do like it. He only makes 6.5 million. I just don't see Houston trading him to. Very interesting.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell yes! I would friggn' love that!

But screw a 2nd & 5th; send 'em Crabtree and a late 3rd.

No way I would trade Crabtree for an Old Johnson. We would at least have to get a 2nd rd back.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crabtree only has 1 year left on his contract. He's not worth what you're suggesting for 1 season.

Yeah but they would still have 3 years of control. Ok if not a 2nd then at least a 3rd and we still draft a WR in the 2nd rd.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Yeah but they would still have 3 years of control. Ok if not a 2nd then at least a 3rd and we still draft a WR in the 2nd rd.

A 3rd sounds reasonable. Crabtree (a 3rd rounder) and a late 3rd is about the equivalent of a 2nd & a 5th.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Colin Kaepernick - QB - 49ers

49ers coach Jim Harbaugh hinted the team will use more three wide sets in 2014.

It is doubtful San Francisco drops their run-first approach, but these comments coupled with the 49ers pursuit of several wide receivers this offseason point to a more open offense in 2014. That would be big fantasy news for Colin Kaepernick, who managed to finish as the tenth best fantasy quarterback despite throwing the ball only 416 times in 2013. With a more open offense and a healthy receiving corps, Kaepernick could make a serious run at the top-5 next season.
Source: Sacramento Bee

Apr 5 - 10:25 AM

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colin Kaepernick - QB - 49ers

49ers coach Jim Harbaugh hinted the team will use more three wide sets in 2014.

It is doubtful San Francisco drops their run-first approach, but these comments coupled with the 49ers pursuit of several wide receivers this offseason point to a more open offense in 2014. That would be big fantasy news for Colin Kaepernick, who managed to finish as the tenth best fantasy quarterback despite throwing the ball only 416 times in 2013. With a more open offense and a healthy receiving corps, Kaepernick could make a serious run at the top-5 next season.
Source: Sacramento Bee

Apr 5 - 10:25 AM

I hope they do use more three wide sets. Let's open up the offense. I hope they land a WR with speed in the draft. I really like Cooks.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they do use more three wide sets. Let's open up the offense. I hope they land a WR with speed in the draft. I really like Cooks.

I really like Cooks but we'd have to trade up to get him.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cooks is one of my fav prospects in this entire draft. I felt this way since September of 2013. However I think now it has gotten to the point that he is being discussed so much that it is causing us to overlook another receiver who's just as good if not a better than cooks (better skill set for the NFL) such as Odell Beckham Jr. If we draft "Jr." I think we should also target Dri Archer later on in the 4th.

A lot of people on here salivate when they watch Randall Cobb play, and make comments such as "I wish he were a 9er or have a similar player like him". Well, "Jr." is a mirror image of Cobb, but with better hands.

Last edited by a moderator:

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Cooks is one of my fav prospects in this entire draft. I felt this way since September of 2013. However I think now it has gotten to the point that he is being discussed so much that it is causing us to overlook another receiver who's just as good if not a better than cooks (better skill set for the NFL) such as Odell Beckham Jr. If we draft "Jr." I think we should also target Dri Archer later on in the 4th.

A lot of people on here salivate when they watch Randall Cobb play, and make comments such as "I wish he were a 9er or have a similar player like him". Well, "Jr." is a mirror image of Cobb, but with better hands.

I'm a huge fan of Cobb. Drafting OBJr would make me very giddy on draft day.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you expect from Marcus Lattimore in 2014?

By David Fucillo @NinersNation on Apr 13 2014, 6:00a 54
USA TODAY Sports

Marcus Lattimore is likely to get his first NFL action in 2014. Gil Brandt thinks he is a breakout candidate. What do 49ers fans think?
Tweet (16) Share (11) Share 54 Comments

Former Dallas Cowboys personnel man and current NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt put together an article earlier this week, looking at players he expects to take a big step forward in their second season. His list of breakout candidates included a mix of 2013 starters, backups and injured rookies. Among the players listed includes San Francisco 49ers running back Marcus Lattimore. Here's some of what he had to say about Lattimore:

Lattimore is a tough, one-cut runner with great instincts, exactly the type of power back the 49ers like to run with, in the mold of incumbent starter Frank Gore. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lattimore get some crunch-time carries this season and become the starter by 2015, when Gore is set to hit free agency. Lattimore -- who is a great person, by the way -- has plenty of promise; I think he's an even better running back than Eddie Lacy.

Brandt provided projections for each of the players, and for Lattimore he projected 650 rushing yards and six touchdowns.

I'd like to do some projection stuff later this summer, but for now, what do you think of those numbers? One problem with 49ers running back projections is that we really don't know how they will all sort out when the season starts. Kendall Hunter has been Frank Gore's primary backup. LaMichael James is there, but is not getting much work. And now we'll see Lattimore in the mix, with Jewel Hampton trying to earn more than a practice squad spot.

The last time the 49ers began the transition to a new starting running back, Kevan Barlow was the starter and Frank Gore was the backup. In 2005, Barlow rushed 176 times for 581 yards, while Gore rushed 127 times for 608 yards. The following year, Barlow was gone, and Gore set the franchise single season rushing record.

I don't expect to see that kind of thing play out in 2014, as even at this point in his career, Gore is still far and away better than Barlow ever was. But where will Lattimore work into the mix. He could put together a solid season, but could his total counting stats still be relatively low given all the running backs in the house?

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Can The San Francisco 49ers Expect From Tank Carradine?
By Robert Carter - Apr 12th, 2014 at 3:08 pm

The most intriguing young player this offseason for the San Francisco 49ers is Cornellius “Tank” Carradine. The Niners selected Carradine in the second round of the 2013 NFL Draft with the 40th overall pick. Carradine was the first of several players that had severe injuries heading into the draft that were selected by the Niners. The amount of the Niners’ talented depth allows them to take chances on promising prospects that have medical issues that could scare other teams away, due to the player potentially needing a full year to get healthy. They are building for the future, but just how bright in Carradine’s future with the Niners?

Carradine’s development is extremely important for the 49ers, as their aging defensive line unit needs an infusion of youth. Carradine is seen as a player that can potentially replace Justin Smith, when he decides to retire in the future. If you were to listen to some of the “experts” in the NFL media, then you would be led to believe that defensive line is a draft need for the Niners, but those “experts” are forgetting about Carradine.

Carradine is essentially an extra early round pick for the Niners this season. He was highly thought of heading into his senior season, as he has excellent physical attributes and abilities. Carradine has a big, solidly built frame, which he combines with excellent quickness and agility, that makes him a terror rushing off of the edge.

He was having a monster season before he was injured towards the end of the year against Florida. He amassed 80 total tackles, 13 tackles for a loss, and 11 sacks in just 11 games. Overall in his career, he totaled 21 tackles for a loss and 16.5 sacks in just two seasons at Florida State. His production, athleticism, and high-motor really impressed scouts. Despite the injury, many draft experts still felt Carradine deserved a first grade.

Here Doug Farrar of Sports Illustrated is thoroughly impressed by Carradine’s scouting film:

"Watching Tank Carradine tape. Great googly-moogly. That kid is going to be an unholy force if the ACL checks out."

Daniel Jeremiah of the NFL Network felt that Carradine is worthy a solid first round grade:

"After watching his tape and talking to several different teams, I'll be surprised if Tank Carradine isn't a 1st round pick."

Matthew Fairburn of SBNation upped the ante by declaring that Carradine has the talent to be a top-five selection in the draft:

"The more I watch Tank Carradine, the more I'm convinced he would be a top five pick if not for his injury. Dude had 80 tackles this year."

Matt Miller of Bleach Report echoed the sentiments of Fairburn about Carradine being a top-five pick:

"My ranking of Tank Carradine (DE-FSU) may surprise people, but once healthy I see a dominant pass rusher. He's top 5 for me."

As you can see, Carradine is a highly talented player with a very high ceiling and that he was seen as top half of the first round type player. The torn ACL he suffered is what pushed him down into the second, which where the Niners were able to grab him. Typically, a top half of the first round player is one that you expect to be a future Pro-Bowl and All-Pro type of player and they were able to get that value in the early second round.

Carradine is going to be expected to contribute as a role player with Smith and Ray McDonald settled into the starting roles. Carradine will be asked to be a rotational player and a situational pass rusher in his first full seasons, much like Aldon Smith in his first season. Eventually, the Niners would like him to cement himself into either starting end spot, as the team transition to younger players on the defensive side of the ball.

As a role player, the Niners are not expected Carradine to be a pro-bowler in his first real season, but they will expect him to infuse some more life in the depth pass rush. The Niners’ pass rush has revolved mainly around three players; Justin Smith, Aldon Smith, and Ahmad Brooks. They have not real fourth or fifth solid pass rushing option and they hope that Carradine can be that player that can give them some pressure on the reserve unit.

You would love to see Carradine break the double digit sack mark, but realistically Carradine is going to end up in that five to nine sack range, if things go well. You might see Carradine flash mainly in the first part of the season and the start to become a more consistent force in the later half of the year. The Niners have high hopes for Carradine and it would not be surprising to see Carradine become a very productive player in the NFL.