• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 offseason thread

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I hope he works hard this off season. Get familiarize with the playbook. He never really got an opportunity this past season. Let's see if he can make the team. Does this mean the Niners just draft one WR?

It depends to an extent on Boldin, but I think they draft two regardless. Right now, only Crabtree, Patton, and Baldwin are under contract. Crabtree and Baldwin are both FAs after this year, and Baldwin has a very good chance of being cut if we add anyone who is borderline competent. We've got to groom players at the position.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Eric Mangini - C - 49ers

49ers promoted offensive consultant Eric Mangini to tight ends coach.

January rumors had the Niners considering moving Mangini to QBs coach, but that was contingent upon losing OC Greg Roman to a head-coaching job, which never happened. Mangini, 43, is succeeding Reggie Davis, who was moved from tight ends coach to co-offensive line coach. "He did a great job, invaluable to us last year," coach Jim Harbaugh said of Mangini. "He’s a helluva coach."
Source: CSN Bay Area

Feb 20 - 5:02 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tank Carradine - DL - 49ers

49ers DE Tank Carradine had a procedure to remove a "mass of scar tissue" from his surgically-repaired right knee.

Coach Jim Harbaugh made the disclosure in his Thursday Combine presser. When Carradine underwent the operation is unclear, but Harbaugh hinted he's 100 percent. "He looks like a different guy now," Harbaugh said. "Just what we saw when he did practice with our football team and now this procedure that's been done, I'm even more excited." Carradine declared himself "fully recovered" in January, but made no mention of the follow-up surgery. Being eased into his NFL career, Carradine will likely start out 2014 as a situational pass rusher.
Source: Sacramento Bee

Feb 20 - 2:49 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Anquan Boldin - WR - 49ers

Speaking Thursday, 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh reiterated that the team's top priority is re-signing free agent Anquan Boldin, and that talks are moving in a "very positive" direction.

"It's not just me who wants Anquan Boldin back," Harbaugh said. "We're all in lockstep with how we feel about him." The 49ers need an infusion of young receiving talent that can grow together with Colin Kaepernick, but re-signing Boldin for 2014 is a no-brainer after he led the team in receiving last season. The question is whether, going on 34, he'll be reasonable in his demands. The indications are that he will be.

Feb 20 - 2:12 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Navorro Bowman - LB - 49ers

Coach Jim Harbaugh doesn't expect ILB Navorro Bowman (ACL, MCL surgery) to be ready for Week 1, and considers midseason his most "realistic" return date.

"Realistically, halfway through the season (or) something like that would be more realistic," Harbaugh said. "But I never underestimate NaVorro Bowman." Harbaugh's words are a strong indication that Bowman will begin the season on the reserve/PUP list, automatically costing him the first six games. Bowman was even further along in the postseason than Robert Griffin III was when he tore his ACL, so Week 1 was always a remote possibility.

Feb 20 - 1:29 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jon Baldwin - WR - 49ers

49ers signed WR Jon Baldwin to a restructured contract.

This should take Baldwin out of the "candidate for release" category. His 2014 base salary has been reduced from $1.4 million to $645,000. He can make $755,000 back by hitting these unlikely incentives: Play on 80 percent of the snaps, catch 65 passes and surpass 800 yards. Baldwin would battle Quinton Patton for No. 2 duties if free agent Anquan Boldin isn't re-signed.
Source: Field Yates on Twitter

Feb 20 - 10:34 AM

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Baldwin - WR - 49ers

49ers signed WR Jon Baldwin to a restructured contract.

This should take Baldwin out of the "candidate for release" category. His 2014 base salary has been reduced from $1.4 million to $645,000. He can make $755,000 back by hitting these unlikely incentives: Play on 80 percent of the snaps, catch 65 passes and surpass 800 yards. Baldwin would battle Quinton Patton for No. 2 duties if free agent Anquan Boldin isn't re-signed.
Source: Field Yates on Twitter

Feb 20 - 10:34 AM

Why are we wasting our time with this guy? He doesn't seem to have the work ethic to succeed.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are we wasting our time with this guy? He doesn't seem to have the work ethic to succeed.

He's still got a chance. Obviously he realized he's got a lot of work to do. If he doesn't pan out it's not like we're paying him much money anyways. For that price it's a good deal.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's still got a chance. Obviously he realized he's got a lot of work to do. If he doesn't pan out it's not like we're paying him much money anyways. For that price it's a good deal.

This guy has had years to figure it out and has yet to make that next step, call me a pessimist but I just don't see him being a successful receiver. He has to completely change his work ethic and I don't know if I can see that happening.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

For a guy who's 4th on the depth chart & making next to nothing I don't have a problem with keeping him on.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@MaioccoCSN: Fun fact: Because he was not on the 53 man roster last season Marcus Lattimore still has four years left on his deal. #49ers

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@mattbarrows: Trent Baalke on possibly trading LaMichael James: "no discussions. LaMichael is a 49ers, will continue to be a 49er."

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@mattbarrows: Trent Baalke said that Tank Carradine is up to 290 lbs. Team's DEs range from 290 to 300 lbs.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@CamInman: Baalke said #49ers won't rush NaVorro Bowman back from knee injury; will take 'hard look' to see if competition needed for Wilhoite & Moody

Suhsyourdaddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, they should ask him, but if says no, i would have a hard time thinking we would do anything but pay him the $6+ million. Maybe approach him with an incentive laden approach. If he thinks he can or wants to go more than just next year maybe extend him to save some on the cap hit next year. He certainly was worth every penny we paid him last year, and it's not like we are in a cap bind right now, so pushing any dead money to the future is not a smart move. Frank is a team guy. He deserves a ring, but he also deserves to be rewarded for what he has meant and means to this team, and he certainly deserves to bow out on his terms IMO.