• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 offseason thread

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Luke Marquardt - T - 49ers

The 49ers are expected to give second-year OT Luke Marquardt a chance to be their swing tackle of the future.

Quips beat writer Matt Barrows of the 2013 undrafted free agent, "My goodness, Marquardt is a striking figure. If I were filming a Viking battle scene, he'd be the first guy off the gangway when the invaders' ship arrives at the beach." Marquardt stands 6-foot-8, 317. He missed his rookie year with a foot injury. Marquardt has been healthy since November and offers long-term upside.
Source: Sacramento Bee

Feb 7 - 2:03 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tarell Brown - DB - 49ers

The 49ers paid free agent CB Tarell Brown $300,000 late last season as a "good-will gesture" after he unknowingly forfeited $2 million by skipping the team's offseason program.

The $2 million mistake was on Brown's agent, not the Niners. The good-will gesture suggests San Francisco still envisions Brown as part of its long-term plan. Brown, 29, is a quality starter and fits the 49ers' free agency profile as a player worth paying because he was developed in-house. Perhaps the club will offer Brown a deal similar to Tramaine Brock's (four years, $16 million).
Source: CSN Bay Areal

Feb 7 - 1:26 PM

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luke Marquardt - T - 49ers

The 49ers are expected to give second-year OT Luke Marquardt a chance to be their swing tackle of the future.

Quips beat writer Matt Barrows of the 2013 undrafted free agent, "My goodness, Marquardt is a striking figure. If I were filming a Viking battle scene, he'd be the first guy off the gangway when the invaders' ship arrives at the beach." Marquardt stands 6-foot-8, 317. He missed his rookie year with a foot injury. Marquardt has been healthy since November and offers long-term upside.

Feb 7 - 2:03 PM

I love it. I was really happy when we picked him up.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daniel Kilgore - G - 49ers

The Sacramento Bee expects fourth-year OL Daniel Kilgore to succeed free agent Jonathan Goodwin as the 49ers' starting center in 2014.

Goodwin is a free agent. Center is a popular position for the 49ers in mock drafts, but beat writer Matt Barrows sounds confident San Francisco will use its premium picks elsewhere. Kilgore has been effective in spot duty the past two seasons, seeing (limited) playing time at all three interior line spots.

Feb 7 - 2:00 PM
Interesting call.... I'm not sure what to believe bit maybe this has legs after all

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting call.... I'm not sure what to believe bit maybe this has legs after all

I actually think that Kilgore could make a really solid C. He doesn't quite have what it takes physically to be a good OG but OC seems like a great fit for him, he reminds me a little bit of Heitman back in the day.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We're about to get a McDonald's cheese sandwich for his rights:

LaMichael James - RB - 49ers

CSN Bay Area believes 49ers RB LaMichael James could find himself on the trade block this summer.

James doesn't have a place with the 49ers, who employ a power-run scheme. The 2012 second-round pick was routinely inactive this past season and hardly saw the field on Sundays he dressed. San Francisco would be lucky to get a late-round pick in return for James. It's more likely that he's cut after training camp.
Source: CSN Bay Area

Feb 9 - 10:56 AM

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're about to get a McDonald's cheese sandwich for his rights:

LaMichael James - RB - 49ers

CSN Bay Area believes 49ers RB LaMichael James could find himself on the trade block this summer.

James doesn't have a place with the 49ers, who employ a power-run scheme. The 2012 second-round pick was routinely inactive this past season and hardly saw the field on Sundays he dressed. San Francisco would be lucky to get a late-round pick in return for James. It's more likely that he's cut after training camp.
Source: CSN Bay Area

Feb 9 - 10:56 AM

Oh thank goodness, I'm so sick of that clown being on this team taking up a roster spot.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
For like a split second I saw the Cutler thread & thought it said Culliver signed a new contract. I got my hopes up. :(

They need to extend Culliver's deal.

It'd be nice to extend Dorsey's deal too if possible.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Harvin was injured half the year, and he had a 2nd-year Christian Ponder throwing to him; that's about as bad as it gets at QB (especially for deep balls).

And being able to catch a slant and take it 50 yards because you're lightning fast still keeps the DBs playing deep. It's not always about how many deep balls a guy catches; it's also about what he opens up underneath for other players.

I don't disagree with any of what you say above, but you called him a true deep threat. To me, that refers to someone who sees a lot of deep passes. That hasn't been the case for Harvin to date. Even when he had Favre throwing to him, he made far and away his greatest impact on passes within ten yards of the LOS.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I actually think that Kilgore could make a really solid C. He doesn't quite have what it takes physically to be a good OG but OC seems like a great fit for him, he reminds me a little bit of Heitman back in the day.

Whether we end up with Kilgore as the starting center or not, I still think we should look to add an interior OL with a pick in the first five rounds (assuming we don't go crazy trading away picks for future picks or to move up). Iupati could leave after this year, and we need depth anyway. We should be looking for a guy to groom as our utility interior OL.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't disagree with any of what you say above, but you called him a true deep threat. To me, that refers to someone who sees a lot of deep passes. That hasn't been the case for Harvin to date. Even when he had Favre throwing to him, he made far and away his greatest impact on passes within ten yards of the LOS.

That's because he used to run the ball a lot.

Let me put it this way: I would be just as happy with a guy who was a THREAT to go deep any play as I would with a guy who actually ran a lot of deep routes. Harvin is that kind of player IMO (when healthy).

Guys like Mike Wallace, Percy Harvin, Desean Jackson, Torrey Smith, possibly Tavon Austin if he pans out, don't have everything you want in a WR like Megatron or AJ Green do, but they have a unique element that can really open up an offense if that offense has another good possession receiver & a strong running game.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That's because he used to run the ball a lot.

Let me put it this way: I would be just as happy with a guy who was a THREAT to go deep any play as I would with a guy who actually ran a lot of deep routes. Harvin is that kind of player IMO (when healthy).

Guys like Mike Wallace, Percy Harvin, Desean Jackson, Torrey Smith, possibly Tavon Austin if he pans out, don't have everything you want in a WR like Megatron or AJ Green do, but they have a unique element that can really open up an offense if that offense has another good possession receiver & a strong running game.

That's fair. I've been on record for awhile saying that we absolutely need a speed receiver on offense. Given the choice, I'd take the "true deep threat" over the speedy slot/backfield player, but I'd take either.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@FieldYates: Source: 49ers WR Jon Baldwin has reworked his contract. Base salary in 2014 is now $645k (down from $1.4M). $755 available in incentives.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@FieldYates: Details: Baldwin needs to play 80% of the snaps, catch 65 passes and surpass 800 yards to earn $1.4M.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@mattbarrows: Sources: 49ers plan to move Eric Mangini to tight ends coach this season. Former TE coach Reggie Davis to be asst oline coach.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@FieldYates: Source: 49ers WR Jon Baldwin has reworked his contract. Base salary in 2014 is now $645k (down from $1.4M). $755 available in incentives.

Sweet! Especially with the expected raise in cap.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hope he works hard this off season. Get familiarize with the playbook. He never really got an opportunity this past season. Let's see if he can make the team. Does this mean the Niners just draft one WR?

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hey Ray, are you going to be doing your cap update thread like you have in the past?