• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I am with you on this. I don't put to much stock into any sort of off season or preseason rankings. History has proven these type of rankings are wrong far more often than they are correct. It's kind of fun when you see your team ranked near the top of them but it really doesn't mean to much imo.

I think it's probably top 3. I wouldn't put it ahead of the Red Sox, although they did lose Jacoby. The Yankees line-up might be just as good too. There's question marks in all of them. I think if we added another impact bat we would be #1

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully Aaron Murray. I say that because I think we could get him later in the draft because of the injury. I don't think we will use one of our first 2 picks.

I think I heard that only Romo and Russell Wilson are the only starting QBs not taken in 1st 2 rounds in draft. Didn't bother fact checking tho.

Dallas better draft gigantic humans in first 4 rounds. O or D line.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I heard that only Romo and Russell Wilson are the only starting QBs not taken in 1st 2 rounds in draft. Didn't bother fact checking tho.

Dallas better draft gigantic humans in first 4 rounds. O or D line.

That's not accurate. Brady was a sixth round selection I believe. Kaepernick was taken in the 3rd, I think. Those are just 2 that came to mind.

jamesx122

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if anyone has posted this, but it's interesting for all of you statisticians. Fangraphs disagrees with Buster.

Texas Rangers lineup best in the majors, says Buster Olney - Lone Star Ball

I don't really think the Rangers have the #1 lineup in baseball, but it certainly is much better than it was last year in my opinion it's in the top 5. Although a fun note about fangraphs' projections on Choo, Steamer projects a 3 win season from him while Oliver is projecting him to be worth nearly 5 wins, there's a similar 2 win discrepancy between the two when it comes to Fielder although Steamer is the optimistic one about his 2014 season.

In the end it's just something to discuss and we'll really see what happens when the season starts, I want to know how accurate projections were for Trout when he first came up or if anyone saw Simmons and Machado having 5+ win seasons with their gloves alone.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only have we backed up Cruz, but we have eased off of morales as well guys. I dont know if there are other options at DH that are more likely, or if we just want to stick with moreland. My friend said that he doesnt think we're done "spending" yet though. So, going off of that, I think we have one more decent move left under our belt

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only have we backed up Cruz, but we have eased off of morales as well guys. I dont know if there are other options at DH that are more likely, or if we just want to stick with moreland. My friend said that he doesnt think we're done "spending" yet though. So, going off of that, I think we have one more decent move left under our belt

Did you mean backed off of Cruz?

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terps, has Billy Butler been brought up at all? We haven't talked about him in awhile, and his OBP would fit in nicely.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Damn..... I don't think Moreland has earned another shot. The guy let us down last year when we needed him to step up.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn..... I don't think Moreland has earned another shot. The guy let us down last year when we needed him to step up.

It's very possible he was playing hurt last year. As I, and others have stated, he was batting around .280 w/ power when he got hurt last year.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's probably top 3. I wouldn't put it ahead of the Red Sox, although they did lose Jacoby. The Yankees line-up might be just as good too. There's question marks in all of them. I think if we added another impact bat we would be #1

Yeah, I think they might be up there near the top too but who knows. It really doesn't matter what anyone thinks though... what matters is what they actually go out there and do. To me they still have to prove themselves but I am excited about the possibilities.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's rough... I was really hoping for an upgrade at dh... can't have it all though.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both are too expensive at the moment, I'm sure. Shame on Cruz.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's very possible he was playing hurt last year. As I, and others have stated, he was batting around .280 w/ power when he got hurt last year.

I might be wrong but think that .280 came off of a really slow start from .215 to .220. He was mashing hard before he went down and going the other way with power a lot. If he can ever put together full season of that and get consistent, he could become a very valuable piece in the lineup. The potential is there I think. I personally I would prefer an upgrade there but I can totally see them going with the hot hand or a platoon at dh. Mitch can back up first and be the 4th OF. If mitch gets to raking again though I think you say forget the platoon too. He killed lefties there for a span before he went down.

Last edited by a moderator:

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might be wrong but think that .280 came off of a really slow start from .215 to .220. He was mashing hard before he went down and going the other way with power a lot. If he can ever put together full season of that and get consistent, he could become a very valuable piece in the lineup. The potential is there I think. I personally I would prefer an upgrade there but I can totally see them going with the hot hand or a platoon at dh. Mitch can back up first and be the 4th OF. If mitch gets to raking again though I think you say forget the platoon too. He killed lefties there for a span before he went down.
Staying healthy is the key for him. How long is Mitch's contract? I'm sure he'd prefer to be traded by now.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Staying healthy is the key for him. How long is Mitch's contract? I'm sure he'd prefer to be traded by now.

He is arbitration eligible now but doesn't become a FA till 2017. And perhaps he would prefer to be traded given that he is losing his everyday spot in the field but do you see him bringing in anyone more exciting than himself to DH. He has a ton of potential but I wouldn't think his trade value is too high. I could be wrong though and you could always package him with some folks too.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is arbitration eligible now but doesn't become a FA till 2017. And perhaps he would prefer to be traded given that he is losing his everyday spot in the field but do you see him bringing in anyone more exciting than himself to DH. He has a ton of potential but I wouldn't think his trade value is too high. I could be wrong though and you could always package him with some folks too.
I don't see how he'd be anymore tradable a year at DH. For his sake I hope he has one helluva year. I don't see him as a full time DH even. They will want to see Choice and Arencepia there as well.