• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough… you jumped in our conversation. Either way its all fair game… that's what this place is supposed to be, a home to all of our opinions. Sure some of us want ours to be more right than someones else's but at the end of the day they are all just that opinions. Some of us are just more stubborn than others.

You're right, its a public forum so I didn't jump in the middle of shit, he didn't quote you implying he was making a statement geared toward you, so get over it

I like how, in the last couple posts, you've tried to paint me as the bad guy here, and its comical

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right, its a public forum so I didn't jump in the middle of shit, he didn't quote you implying he was making a statement geared toward you, so get over it

I like how, in the last couple posts, you've tried to paint me as the bad guy here, and its comical

Your not a bad guy (your not very diplomatic though)… and its not my intention to paint you out as one but having any sort of conversation with you is sort of like talking to a brick wall which I will admit can be frustrating. So, it might be in my best interest to just avoid interacting with you.

Also, you are very hard headed and stubborn like it or not. I also can be on many things as can many people that post on here. So that really wasn't a poke at you, it was just a fact about both of us but I am glad you can find comedy on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my gut tells me that we're not finished no matter what JD says publically

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At the beginning of the offseason you took JD's word that payroll was going to be the same or a little lower than last year at gospel, now you don't believe him?

Which is it going to be Scottie? :yahoo:

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. Getting Fielder and Choo suggests to me that the FO is all in. I'm thinking that Tanaka is next. :ninja:

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New Marlins infielder Casey McGehee, who played with Tanaka for Rakuten last season, tells Juan C. Rodriguez of the Sun Sentinel that Tanaka is worth the hype. "His forkball is the best one I’ve seen. ... He was really special with that pitch," says McGehee. "Whoever gets him…it’s going to be money well spent."

I like to see players' opinions on a player.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We better not be finished. I still think we need a DH such as Cruz Morales or whoever JD can acquire and a #5 SP. ST may reveal some nice surprises. Mitch could certainly be one of those. Don't rule him out.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather another bat than Tanaka... Then we could trade Moreland for a back of rotation starter

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New Marlins infielder Casey McGehee, who played with Tanaka for Rakuten last season, tells Juan C. Rodriguez of the Sun Sentinel that Tanaka is worth the hype. "His forkball is the best one I’ve seen. ... He was really special with that pitch," says McGehee. "Whoever gets him…it’s going to be money well spent."

I like to see players' opinions on a player.

Agreed. That's why I find this, which I posted a few pages back, interesting:

" ... However, the splitter is acknowledged as particularly filthy. Teammate Brandon Duckworth said of it, "he throws with the same arm speed so that it comes out just like a fastball. It's crazy because that thing just falls off the table.""

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's like I've said, Tanaka is probably a good addition but not at more than much more than 5 and 60

But the Dodgers and the Yanks especially, are going to overpay to add him

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea.... I doubt Tanaka is worth the trouble anyway. I'd just hope he ends up with the Dodgers or Cubs.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's like I've said, Tanaka is probably a good addition but not at more than much more than 5 and 60

But the Dodgers and the Yanks especially, are going to overpay to add him

He's obviously going to get a deal much nearer seven-years and $120 million. I really don't understand the objection to that if he is nearly the pitcher that what he's done in Japan suggests that he is and that he is only 25 years old.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's obviously going to get a deal much nearer seven-years and $120 million. I really don't understand the objection to that if he is nearly the pitcher that what he's done in Japan suggest that he is and that he is only 25 years old.

bc he hasn't proven anything to deserve much more than that

Thats why I say pass, he's not Darvish, even if you factor in the posting fees, that would be a 6 year 102 million dollar investment in Darvish, thats 17 mill a year (since people are saying the reason Darvish's contract is bc of the posting fee)

There's no way Tanaka should get anything close to that

6 years 92 million is the best I would even consider (includes the posting fee)

That's 12 mill a year and the 20 mill posting fee

Falling in love with Japanese numbers is dangerous, its not the same kind of baseball

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the beginning of the offseason you took JD's word that payroll was going to be the same or a little lower than last year at gospel, now you don't believe him?

:10:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i didn't but if you wish to be an ass about it go for it.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's an interesting read from which I learned that Tanaka has pitched a lot more than he ideally would have by now. The main concern seems to be how well he will hold up, which is always a concern with every pitcher, though perhaps more so for a pitcher who has pitched as much as Tanaka has at only 25 years old.

Personally, I'm more interested in what he is realistically more likely to accomplish over the next one to three years than I am over the entire seven years that he is pretty certain to sign for with some team. Not at all clear to me how the short-term potential benefit v. long-term potential risk that accompanies Tanaka is so different, from that same tradeoff associated with, say, Fielder and Choo.

The long-term outlook for the franchise lies mostly with the farm system. Key FAs can certainly fill holes in the short-term.