• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want Ubaldo b/c of a career 4.0 BB/9

Looking at his career peripherals, there's not a whole lot to like besides maybe the K's and even then its not that great

What makes him worth looking is what he did last year. A 3.30 era but the 2nd half was ridiculous. Going back to a start on July 22nd he gave up more than 2 earned runs just once from the point on to the end of the season. In fact his ERA in the 2nd half was 1.82. And it was during a pennant chase so they were important games.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In today's pitching market I am not surprised by that amount. In fact I thought it would actually be higher.

I said earlier - posted an article regarding the M's too - that someone was going to so overpay for this guy, and the Rangers will probably have no alternative but to walk away.

I just used the word "overpay" and to be honest, no one really knows until after the fact who's over and under. He may be worth every penny he gets. We'll see.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that projecting what a guy will do here based on what he did in Japan isn't possible, since it isn't even possible to project what any player will do in any given league. I do find this piece, which aims to project Tanaka's numbers on the basis of how other Japanese pitchers have made the transition, interesting.

Projecting Masahiro Tanaka - AZ Snake Pit

Here is an excerpt that might speak to how Tanaka's splitter might mitigate concerns about his "flat" fastball:

"Others think Kuroda is a better comparison, led by Jeff Sullivan who says of the pair, "Both have fastballs around the low 90s. Both throw a lot of sliders, both are known for their command, and most importantly, both feature a frequent splitter." There have been concerns about Tanaka's fastball, Baseball America's scouting report warning it "gives some scouts pause because it comes in on a flat plane, making it more hittable than the velocity might suggest." However, the splitter is acknowledged as particularly filthy. Teammate Brandon Duckworth said of it, "he throws with the same arm speed so that it comes out just like a fastball. It's crazy because that thing just falls off the table.""

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's another thing about Tanaka. When his arm eventually gets tired as the season/career goes on and his velo goes down EVEN MORE then what happens? His fastball is 90-92 with no movement. What happens when its 87-89 with no movement? He'll have to wear a neckbrace every time he pitches. I just don't think tanaka is wise. If the money was 5 for 60 mil then maybe

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Investing the money Tanaka wants is foolish, simple as that

If its true he wants 17 mill annually, then hell no to that

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Investing the money Tanaka wants is foolish, simple as that

If its true he wants 17 mill annually, then hell no to that

I think realistically he'll probably end up in the 12-15 million range. His one saving grace is that he has both the Yankees and Dodgers very interested.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't remember the posting system rules, I am pretty confident that the highest bidder is the only team that can bid on the player for that season but if that team doesn't come to an agreement on a contract for said season and the player chooses to stay in Japan, does the team that won the bid still have to pay the posting fee?

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can't remember the posting system rules, I am pretty confident that the highest bidder is the only team that can bid on the player for that season but if that team doesn't come to an agreement on a contract for said season and the player chooses to stay in Japan, does the team that won the bid still have to pay the posting fee?

there are new posting rules starting this year...the post bid is capped at 20 million and every team that puts that up can negotiate with him with only the teaming signing him having to pay the posted amount to the Japanese team.

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure why the face palm quote was included in that...sorry about that...wasn't intentional

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The way it now works is that every team is free to reach a deal with Tanaka. The team that he agrees to a deal with then has to pay a $20 million fee on top of the contract Tanaka gets. A seven-year deal that pays him an average of $17 million per season costs the acquiring team about $20 million per year, which is reportedly about what is expected.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are new posting rules starting this year...the post bid is capped at 20 million and every team that puts that up can negotiate with him with only the teaming signing him having to pay the posted amount to the Japanese team.

I see, and if he chooses not to take any offers then no posting fee would be paid by any team. With it that cheap I say the Rangers at least make a run at him but I am pretty confident that we won't pay what the Yanks or Dodgers will.

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see, and if he chooses not to take any offers then no posting fee would be paid by any team. With it that cheap I say the Rangers at least make a run at him but I am pretty confident that we won't pay what the Yanks or Dodgers will.

exactly...why not try at least...no harm in it

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can definetly see the Angels swooping in here and placing a bid late and making a crazy offer to Tanaka… not sure why :whistle:

He might not be old enough for that type of long term investment for them though.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah you are way out of the loop, the rules changed this year

Now all teams can negotiate, like any other free agent, and the team that comes to an agreement with him before January 26th??? (not sure on the date), will then have to pay the now standard 20 million dollar posting fee, after the contract is signed, if no one signs him he goes back to Rakuten

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo welcome on now. JD has the introduction now.