• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least with morales he evens out all the righties in a row a little bit. I think at this point I'd rather have him. I like nelly, but Morales is just a good hitter. Go for the cheaper option and make a trade. Screw tanaka and whoever lands him. I've read as many scouting reports as I can about the guy and I'm still not impressed. Average fastball with no plane but a great splitter. Succeeded in japan because the style of hitting is different. The hitters in the mlb are gonna lift his flat fastball in the air and muscle it out of the ball park. They wont try to slap it on the ground something

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasnt quite that bad, but I get what you mean.
If they are looking at Cruz to sign, it has to be at DH and Cruz knows that I'm sure and he won't get his 75 mil. If he wants to play he probably won't sign. Morales looks like the better choice to me.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least with morales he evens out all the righties in a row a little bit. I think at this point I'd rather have him. I like nelly, but Morales is just a good hitter. Go for the cheaper option and make a trade. Screw tanaka and whoever lands him. I've read as many scouting reports as I can about the guy and I'm still not impressed. Average fastball with no plane but a great splitter. Succeeded in japan because the style of hitting is different. The hitters in the mlb are gonna lift his flat fastball in the air and muscle it out of the ball park. They wont try to slap it on the ground something

Texas scouts may be seeing the same things if they're not intent on going after him.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't really understand what the hype is about the guy besides his numbers. His scouting report screams mistake. The guy won a ton of ball games sure, but there is an entirely different philosophy to hitting in japan. Darvish is different. He's so tall that he can afford to have that long stride and still have tilt. Plus he throws it freakin 95, not 90.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't really understand what the hype is about the guy besides his numbers. His scouting report screams mistake. The guy won a ton of ball games sure, but there is an entirely different philosophy to hitting in japan. Darvish is different. He's so tall that he can afford to have that long stride and still have tilt. Plus he throws it freakin 95, not 90.

Some of the hype may be coming from Darvish's success. Nobody wants to miss out on the next Darvish, thus the hype.

jamesx122

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Darvish also gets downward plane on his fastball. From what I've read about Tanaka his fastball will need to be located well otherwise MLB hitters will send it flying, he has a very good splitter and other off-speed pitches so I don't think he's going to be a bust. I just don't think he's going to be near Darvish's level, he'll probably be a good #3 pitcher posting numbers a bit worse than Hiroki Kuroda's in my opinion.

I'd like him on our team to fill out the rotation, but not at the price he's going to command. Also his declining strikeout numbers are a cause for concern.

jamesx122

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of the hype may be coming from Darvish's success. Nobody wants to miss out on the next Darvish, thus the hype.

That might be it, but they're different pitchers when you get past the fact that they both played in the NPB and posted good numbers. Just like how smart baseball fans had to point out that Darvish was different than all the other pitchers that came to the MLB to the dumb fans who just said "But he's Japanese so he's just like the others!"

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darvish also gets downward plane on his fastball. From what I've read about Tanaka his fastball will need to be located well otherwise MLB hitters will send it flying, he has a very good splitter and other off-speed pitches so I don't think he's going to be a bust. I just don't think he's going to be near Darvish's level, he'll probably be a good #3 pitcher posting numbers a bit worse than Hiroki Kuroda's in my opinion.

I'd like him on our team to fill out the rotation, but not at the price he's going to command. Also his declining strikeout numbers are a cause for concern.

I'd say for the money he'll command, we're better off filling out the back end of our rotation in other ways.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That might be it, but they're different pitchers when you get past the fact that they both played in the NPB and posted good numbers. Just like how smart baseball fans had to point out that Darvish was different than all the other pitchers that came to the MLB to the dumb fans who just said "But he's Japanese so he's just like the others!"

Yeah, no more dice-k comparisons finally

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he'll be a number 3 as well. They wanna give this guy 120 million? fuckin serious? I'd rather have signed ricky nolasco or MG or hiroki kuroda. That's absurd. Thats 20 million less than what zack greinke got, and he was one of the best pitchers in baseball last year. Someone must be batshit crazy

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll get more that Darvish contract wise, just b/c Darvish's contract was such a steal... and the lower posting fee plays a part in that

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terps, any word on what our original offer was versus what we settled on? How much did we give?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Couple things, he pitches a bit faster than 90, more like 92-93 and hitting 96 from everything I've read, but the issue remains, he has a flat fastball, but he doesn't rely on it either

He's also not that small, actually a pretty good size at 6-2

Other than that, the Kuroda and other comparisons I agree with wholeheartedly

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn I had to catch up on the 23 pages I've missed since earlier in the day.