• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I'm sort of shocked too but I think you are right about the market value thing. The I'm sure the way the Melky thing worked out has some clubs concerned. His numbers dropped off a ton. I really just look for him to get a similar deal and I think he would be a steal for that amount but that's bc I don't believe his numbers will take a hit. I sure hope if he does end up with a cheap short contract that it is with us.

Even though I'm sure Nelly would like to return, he also wants to play the field. He won't get that chance here. Plus we would probably have to move Mitch in order for Nelly to agree with us.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though I'm sure Nelly would like to return, he also wants to play the field. He won't get that chance here. Plus we would probably have to move Mitch in order for Nelly to agree with us.

True on playing the field. I was hoping that he would sign for 1 year and show what he could still do at the plate hoping it would lead a more lucrative contract next season. But can understand him not wanting to just DH.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True on playing the field. I was hoping that he would sign for 1 year and show what he could still do at the plate hoping it would lead a more lucrative contract next season. But can understand him not wanting to just DH.

I would like that too, and I guess it's possible. He certainly wouldn't want to platoon with Mitch at DH so you would have to have someone willing to trade for Mitch, maybe the Pirates.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think I knew we have a club option for Rios in 2015 for 14 million.

If he has a good year that would be a bargain compared to what we are seeing now. On the Cruz comments the only problem with trading Mitch is we really do not have a 1b behind Prince. In fact that is a problem if we picked anyone up to DH.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he has a good year that would be a bargain compared to what we are seeing now. On the Cruz comments the only problem with trading Mitch is we really do not have a 1b behind Prince. In fact that is a problem if we picked anyone up to DH.
If we can't sign Cruz or Morales, it appears with Mitch hanging around we need to sign Baker to share the DH. Then we have a back up for Beltre and also a back up for Fielder and no longer a need for Rosales. Some don't like the idea of a DH of Baker/Mitch but without someone else that's about the only choice left. Tanaka could have some effect on what we do when that's all over.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well Rosales plays 1st, but we could get Baker for cheap. You're right though. I don't really want Rosales on the team, but I think JD has him so Wash doesn't have a better option in case Profar struggles. He wants Profar in there no matter what

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can't sign Cruz or Morales, it appears with Mitch hanging around we need to sign Baker to share the DH. Then we have a back up for Beltre and also a back up for Fielder and no longer a need for Rosales. Some don't like the idea of a DH of Baker/Mitch but without someone else that's about the only choice left. Tanaka could have some effect on what we do when that's all over.

who backs up Elvis and Profar?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rosales, at least to my recollection, is more of a backup MIF than a 1st baseman.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rosales, at least to my recollection, is more of a backup MIF than a 1st baseman.
Hey ole timer. Not sure on that but do you know if Baker backs up 1st?:noidea:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey ole timer. Not sure on that but do you know if Baker backs up 1st?:noidea:

Hey now; who you calling ole timer? hahaha

Baker can backup first. But honestly, his glove is not what keeps him in cleats. Like him, and hope to see him healthy all season. But regardless of where you play him, he's a thrill a minute with the leather.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You talk a lot about replacing players yet never really offer up opinions about what they should do, you just say "they should upgrade" with who?

I'm pretty sure most efforts right now are in search of a solid rotation piece, especially since upgrading the #5 spot in the rotation was already an ongoing debate anyway, before Holland got hurt

You may be right. But rather than speculate on a particular acquisition in this case I prefer to make sure there is common recognition that there is a need. Similarly, I'm not real good spending 10-15min writing up a list of projection stats for a player either. I just don't see the value in it and don't get the enjoyment out of it like you do. Not being snarky ... speculating just isn't my thing.

However ... I am pretty sure that TEX has enough bandwidth to be looking at multiple upgrades simultaneously ... potential SPs via trade or FA vets as well as upgrading DH options. I don't think JD lets any day go by without keeping track of potential pitching upgrades to the TEX system.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Profar backs up Elvis, Baker backs up profar. No brainer.

and i still carry Baker & Rosales as backups with Baker & Moreland splitting duty at DH unless the Rangers decide to sign Cruz or Morales

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and i still carry Baker & Rosales as backups with Baker & Moreland splitting duty at DH unless the Rangers decide to sign Cruz or Morales
Rosales is a must if we don't sign Baker. Otherwise I see no need to keep Rosales.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it strange that we haven't signed Mitch yet like we have Cotts, Feliz, and Ogando
That is strange since we haven't signed Baker either. There is an opening for some speculation.