• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As I've said before, it's not necessarily Rios in the 5 spot that worries me. It's the fact that if he's in the 5 spot I see us having a lot of problems 6-9. Mitch, Soto, Profar, and Martin leaves me very worried about our ability to score from the bottom of the line-up. Of course that could all change if the youngsters continue to progress and Mitch hits like he's capable of, while staying healthy.

Whole lot better than having Murphy in the middle of that mix.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whole lot better than having Murphy in the middle of that mix.

The Murphy that was in the line-up last year, yes. He's always been a pretty solid hitter. He just couldn't perform in his contract year. I wouldn't be surprised if he hits .280 this year for the tribe.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It puts Rios in the 6 hole and not Mitch. I just said that. An upgrade at DH moves Rios out of the 5 hole and into the 6 hole.
My point is you haven't improved the bottom of the order to score by moving Rios to 6. He is a better choice than Mitch but 7 8 9 remain the same.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@DT - You were one of the ones that was in favor of adding another bat. What changed? Are you one of the ones that has now settled on the idea of Mitch as the DH?

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is you haven't improved the bottom of the order to score by moving Rios to 6. He is a better choice than Mitch but 7 8 9 remain the same.

789 remain the same, but 6789 don't. That's what you asked. "How does it improve 6-9."
If Mitch struggles again, along with the 2 kids, that's a lot of easy outs at the bottom of the line-up. I consider 6-9 the bottom of the order.
Maybe Martin and Profar continue to progress and then it nullifies my argument. I hope it does because I think JD goes into next year with Mitch as the DH.

Last edited by a moderator:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@DT - You were one of the ones that was in favor of adding another bat. What changed? Are you one of the ones that has now settled on the idea of Mitch as the DH?
Not at all. If JD brings in DH I'm fine with it. You said you were worried about the bottom of the line up scoring. Rios won't make much difference batting ahead of Soto Profar Martin. Scoring may still be a problem. We'll see.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't want to see the team make the same mistake as last year. Murphy shit the bed and wash kept playing him. The situation seems similar with Mitch this year, we need him to step up. If he plays like he did last year. The line up might struggle. I wish they would bring in a solid hitter, so Rios could slide down to 6, we could live with 3 bad hitters, but not 4.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I just don't want to see the team make the same mistake as last year. Murphy shit the bed and wash kept playing him. The situation seems similar with Mitch this year, we need him to step up. If he plays like he did last year. The line up might struggle. I wish they would bring in a solid hitter, so Rios could slide down to 6, we could live with 3 bad hitters, but not 4.

I think this is my basic beef too. Way I figure it if your DH isn't good enough to be batting at least in the middle or upper half of the lineup ... then you got the wrong guy as your DH.

If you got your DH batting sixth ... well heck ... how much better is that than the NL with the pitcher batting ninth? Three spots?

Alternatively of course ... you have Choo leadoff as DH and upgrade your LF defensively with someone like Choice. Just sayin ...

Also ... I think I prefer Profar batting in front of Soto. I like having Martin batting ninth in front of Choo.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter what, I don't see us doing anything until Tanaka makes his decision. JD probably knows what he wants to do. He's just waiting like everyone else.

Just curious...Is there anyone that actually thinks there's a chance we sign Tanaka?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus he'll have access to a plethora of gorgeous women since he's in DFW now. Just sayin...

Wasn't his wife at one of the press conferences with him when he was traded, I believe they are still together. I hope he isn't that naive

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter what, I don't see us doing anything until Tanaka makes his decision. JD probably knows what he wants to do. He's just waiting like everyone else.

Just curious...Is there anyone that actually thinks there's a chance we sign Tanaka?

I might be in the minority but I would like us to sign him. I don't think it will happen though. Honestly, I think the Rangers big moves this offseason have already been made, unless some sort of big trade happens. I mean they already traded for who I would rank a top 10 hitter in the MLB (and absorbed a very large contract) and acquired one of the top free agents but at a hefty price.

I would love if we added just one more big name, I just don't see it coming. I think the only move we see going forward is adding some depth to the pen, rotation, or bench. I hope I'm wrong but even if I'm not I still think they will have a pretty solid lineup. I sort of wish no one wants to take a risk on Cruz and somehow we get him cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is my basic beef too. Way I figure it if your DH isn't good enough to be batting at least in the middle or upper half of the lineup ... then you got the wrong guy as your DH.

If you got your DH batting sixth ... well heck ... how much better is that than the NL with the pitcher batting ninth? Three spots?

Alternatively of course ... you have Choo leadoff as DH and upgrade your LF defensively with someone like Choice. Just sayin ...

Also ... I think I prefer Profar batting in front of Soto. I like having Martin batting ninth in front of Choo.

Lets be fair the only reason our DH would be Moreland and not the 1B is b/c they want Fielder to be happy

If Moreland was the 1B and Fielder DHs, then the only real difference is the defense, offense hasn't changed at all

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lets be fair the only reason our DH would be Moreland and not the 1B is b/c they want Fielder to be happy

If Moreland was the 1B and Fielder DHs, then the only real difference is the defense, offense hasn't changed at all

To be fair ... if Mitch's offense isn't good enough to start at first base then it probably isn't good enough to DH either. If you are going into the season having to platoon at DH ... batting 6th ... then you need to upgrade your DH.

I assume since TEX is considering playing both Fielder and Moreland that Rosales is backup first base too. Fact Morelsnd is still on roster is because they haven't traded him yet.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair ... if Mitch's offense isn't good enough to start at first base then it probably isn't good enough to DH either. If you are going into the season having to platoon at DH ... batting 6th ... then you need to upgrade your DH.

I assume since TEX is considering playing both Fielder and Moreland that Rosales is backup first base too. Fact Morelsnd is still on roster is because they haven't traded him yet.

You talk a lot about replacing players yet never really offer up opinions about what they should do, you just say "they should upgrade" with who?

I'm pretty sure most efforts right now are in search of a solid rotation piece, especially since upgrading the #5 spot in the rotation was already an ongoing debate anyway, before Holland got hurt

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me or is it weird that Nelly isn't signed yet? It's been a while since Choo signed here so I"m just wondering if Nelly and his agent has sort of misplayed their market expectation. I still say there a chance albeit very very slight one that Nelly signs here. I suppose it just takes that 1 team to change everything tho.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me or is it weird that Nelly isn't signed yet? It's been a while since Choo signed here so I"m just wondering if Nelly and his agent has sort of misplayed their market expectation. I still say there a chance albeit very very slight one that Nelly signs here. I suppose it just takes that 1 team to change everything tho.

Every team has their posting fee involved with Tanaka right now. I doubt any of the bigger names come off the board until he does.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember who but someone said Nellie would eventually sign with the Rangers. That possibility is not great but he is still out there.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember who but someone said Nellie would eventually sign with the Rangers. That possibility is not great but he is still out there.

I think he shoud sign a 1 year contract to try and improve his market value. I know it is a gamble but it could pay off better for him going out in what could be down year for FAs.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I'm sort of shocked too but I think you are right about the market value thing. The I'm sure the way the Melky thing worked out has some clubs concerned. His numbers dropped off a ton. I really just look for him to get a similar deal and I think he would be a steal for that amount but that's bc I don't believe his numbers will take a hit. I sure hope if he does end up with a cheap short contract that it is with us.