• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to the 'who bats #5?' conversation ...

Does a DH platoon of Moreland/Baker(?) hit behind Beltre or does Rios?

Unfortunately that keeps Rios in the 5 hole, which is why I'd still like an upgrade. Holland's injury changes things though. I think the need to upgrade the line-up is even higher now.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dodgers are still in on Tanaka.

I doubt it, but maybe.

Even after signing Dan Haren earlier in the offseason and agreeing to extend Clayton Kershaw today, the Dodgers hope to add another arm to their staff, report Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. Masahiro Tanaka is a possibility, but would be an ownership call, while Bronson Arroyo is also on the team's "short list" of options.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it, but maybe.

Even after signing Dan Haren earlier in the offseason and agreeing to extend Clayton Kershaw today, the Dodgers hope to add another arm to their staff, report Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. Masahiro Tanaka is a possibility, but would be an ownership call, while Bronson Arroyo is also on the team's "short list" of options.
It was MLB today that the Dodgers were still in on Tanaka. Maybe yes maybe no.

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it, but maybe.

This is getting truly insane...$30 million per year (avg) for 7 years. Kershaw has already put in some big innings, southpaws tend to flame out by the time they are 30. Kershaw is definitely worth it today, and good for him for getting the money, but my god the risks are huge that he won't make it thru half his contract!

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if cotts pitches close to what he did last year, this will be a good deal.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I sure didn't. Man, $30 mill a year. Good for him. I know he is very good but you have to hope he stays healthy.
Now you know what neighborhood Price would be looking at.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard JD on ESPN radio yesterday and he showed some humor. He was honest and admitted that he realizes there are some questions on every pitcher who could be a starter besides Yu and Perez and that they would like to add to the mix because of this and the likely chance another pitcher goes on the DL.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This story came out pretty much right after the Fielder trade. It's pretty much become common knowledge that Fielder's wife and Garcia were banging each other. Hopefully Fielder's time here will be like a rebirth and he'll unleash.

I believe he has verbally stated that he looks forward to the change.

kdm1218

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately that keeps Rios in the 5 hole, which is why I'd still like an upgrade. Holland's injury changes things though. I think the need to upgrade the line-up is even higher now.
But who is hanging around out there for a possible realistic upgrade?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But who is hanging around out there for a possible realistic upgrade?

I don't see it as nearly the issue Justin does, nor do a few other posters in here.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see it as nearly the issue Justin does, nor do a few other posters in here.

You are right Romeo. It's far from a problem. Alex Rios is a more than capable 5-hole hitter. Some people don't give him enough credit as a hitter. Is having a 20-HR/20-SB .280 guy in the 5-hole really that awful? He might not quite have the power of other 5-hole hitters, but he's a doubles machine. You don't have to have a .300-hitting All Star at every spot 1-9. Look at the 5-hole hitters from every contender from last year and tell me Alex Rios isn't every bit as good or in some cases better.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right Romeo. It's far from a problem. Alex Rios is a more than capable 5-hole hitter. Some people don't give him enough credit as a hitter. Is having a 20-HR/20-SB .280 guy in the 5-hole really that awful? He might not quite have the power of other 5-hole hitters, but he's a doubles machine. You don't have to have a .300-hitting All Star at every spot 1-9. Look at the 5-hole hitters from every contender from last year and tell me Alex Rios isn't every bit as good or in some cases better.

I think people's concern is that Rios is fairly inconsistent year to year. I feel ok with him, but I'm an Rangers optimist and think that Moreland will end up being #5 hitter.