• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had microfracture surgery on my knee last July - very generally the idea is that it creates a "scab" to cover over missing or damaged cartilage. Now I have a 50+ year old knee, but I still do not have the mobility, flexibility and strength that I had previously. I was a distance runner by hobby, and this has effectively ended my running career. Derek's knee his half the age of mine and he will get world class treatment and therapy. But this is slow healer, 6 months before he can be back to full strength is my guess....

I think one of your Dallas Cowboy's had this surgery done a few months back as well...

Was your cartilage missing or damaged? Curious how big a difference that could make.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had microfracture surgery on my knee last July - very generally the idea is that it creates a "scab" to cover over missing or damaged cartilage. Now I have a 50+ year old knee, but I still do not have the mobility, flexibility and strength that I had previously. I was a distance runner by hobby, and this has effectively ended my running career. Derek's knee his half the age of mine and he will get world class treatment and therapy. But this is slow healer, 6 months before he can be back to full strength is my guess....

I think one of your Dallas Cowboy's had this surgery done a few months back as well...

Anthony Spencer.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Infielder Rougned Odor was named the Tom Grieve Player of the Year. Right-handed pitcher Luke Jackson was awarded the Nolan Ryan Pitcher of the Year. Outfielder Jake Skole was tabbed as Defender of the Year, and left-handed Alexander Claudio is the reliever of the year.

Odor, who turns 20 next month, combined to bat .305 (156-511) with 41 doubles, six triples, 11 home runs, 78 RBIs, 32 stolen bases, and 85 runs in 2013. The left-handed batter and right-handed thrower led all full season Texas farmhands in batting and tied for the 3rd-most doubles in Minor League Baseball. Odor was both a midseason and postseason All-Star selection in the Carolina League and finished the season ranked among the league leaders in batting (3rd, .305), doubles (T5th, 33), and stolen bases (T5th, 27). The teenager earned a promotion to Frisco in August and finished the season as the youngest player in the Texas League. Odor was signed as a non-drafted free agent Jan. 3, 2011 by Rafic Saab and Mike Daly.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge difference...... Basketball/Baseball

Maybe so but it doesn't change the fact that it's a serious injury that can affect the way you do things going forward. Holland needs healthy knees.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Infielder Rougned Odor was named the Tom Grieve Player of the Year. Right-handed pitcher Luke Jackson was awarded the Nolan Ryan Pitcher of the Year. Outfielder Jake Skole was tabbed as Defender of the Year, and left-handed Alexander Claudio is the reliever of the year.

Odor, who turns 20 next month, combined to bat .305 (156-511) with 41 doubles, six triples, 11 home runs, 78 RBIs, 32 stolen bases, and 85 runs in 2013. The left-handed batter and right-handed thrower led all full season Texas farmhands in batting and tied for the 3rd-most doubles in Minor League Baseball. Odor was both a midseason and postseason All-Star selection in the Carolina League and finished the season ranked among the league leaders in batting (3rd, .305), doubles (T5th, 33), and stolen bases (T5th, 27). The teenager earned a promotion to Frisco in August and finished the season as the youngest player in the Texas League. Odor was signed as a non-drafted free agent Jan. 3, 2011 by Rafic Saab and Mike Daly.

The thing with Odor at Myrtle Beach the 33 doubles were in 100 games since he was called up. At the time he was 1st or 2nd in doubles in the league. Hope he continues this trend.

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was your cartilage missing or damaged? Curious how big a difference that could make.
Yes, cartilage actually came loose and was floating free..it wasn't a large piece, but without cartilage, you have bone against bone. Cartilage can't grow back, micro fracture surgery creates scar tissue that provides somewhat of a cushion between the bones...but it's a poor substitute for real cartilage. It takes months for that scar tissue to properly form, and in the mean time, you can't aggressively do therapy, you have to baby it. Holland has young knees so he will recover, but he's going to be out for awhile, hopefully not the whole season....

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holland is saving some face and is overly confident he'll be back soon. Microfracture is serious stuff and it could very well force him to be out for a full season if not more than that.

I agree.

the hockey game he played in the night before tripping over the dog was probably not the greatest idea either

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, cartilage actually came loose and was floating free..it wasn't a large piece, but without cartilage, you have bone against bone. Cartilage can't grow back, micro fracture surgery creates scar tissue that provides somewhat of a cushion between the bones...but it's a poor substitute for real cartilage. It takes months for that scar tissue to properly form, and in the mean time, you can't aggressively do therapy, you have to baby it. Holland has young knees so he will recover, but he's going to be out for awhile, hopefully not the whole season....

great explanation, thank you

(and I'm sorry that happened to you)

Last edited by a moderator:

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think they absolutely have to stretch Ogando now, it's probably already been discussed. Too lazy to go back through all the pages, maybe they were anyway

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
great explanation, thank you

(and I'm sorry that happened to you)
Well thanks. Mine was due to overuse and age. Why do I think I was on this Board so much during last season? Yes, mainly because I enjoy the chats....but also because I had nowhere to go!!! I was stuck in my chair!! :rollseyes:

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well thanks. Mine was due to overuse and age. Why do I think I was on this Board so much during last season? Yes, mainly because I enjoy the chats....but also because I had nowhere to go!!! I was stuck in my chair!! :rollseyes:
Ha!
Ugh, stuck in the chair. Hopefully we entertained you a little.
:)

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was fortunate Les. Torn cartilage in both knees at different times. Never had any problems. The secret? Young.

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was fortunate Les. Torn cartilage in both knees at different times. Never had any problems. The secret? Young.
Any arthritis issues?? I'm having some problems with that too!

HA! I'm giving everybody the impression that I'm a crippled geriatric!!! I really get around fine...