• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mitch Moreland told reporters, including Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com, he still isn't sure whether he will playing for the Rangers or elsewhere in 2014. "They’ve definitely made a lot of moves and have been very active this offseason," Moreland said. "From what I know right now, I’m still here and still a Texas Ranger and happy to be here and looking forward to the season." Earlier today, we learned Texas has been unwilling to discuss Moreland in trade talks. If that remains the case, Moreland says he has been told his role will be changing and he will use Spring Training to prepare himself to play first base, the outfield, and DH.

Maybe it's just me, but all this talk about the Rangers being unwilling to talk about Mitch gives me the feeling that JD is trying to drive the price up on him. Of course it could mean we really aren't going to move him.

I think JD is just being honest here. I think they really want to go in an give Mitch a shot at everyday DH/utility guy. I think the Baker thing is just in case it becomes necessary to platoon. That and having a guy like Baker on your bench is valuable as we all saw last season.

My reasoning for thinking this is JD has been burned twice on 1B trades (see Adrain Gonzales and Chris Davis). To his credit though, the Smoak and Tex trades did work out well. I just don't think they are ready to give up on him. Honestly, he does have a ton of potential too especially when he shows power to the opposite field. I think one season (either 2012 or 2013) Mitch hit several of the longest HRs hit that season. Sure, the distance it goes over the wall really doesn't matter but it does go to show you what he is capable of when he gets the good part of the bat on the ball. With the right adjustments, he could be scary person to face. That being said, this has yet to be seen for any extended amount of time but I think it is what the FO is prepared to do. I really don;t think they want to trade him.

As far as what I think though. I agree with you, I would like it much better if we traded for Butler or picked up Morales. Even better, as a huge Cruz fan, I wish we could find a way to make him want to DH for us.

But what I think is that we are pretty much done with big moves and we have just a few small ones ahead. Maybe adding another 4 or 5 level starter to compete in SP and also maybe some bench and BP depth. Hopefully I am wrong though.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The other reason TEX may want to keep Mitch is because if Prince steps off the team bus and sprains his knee ... other than Adam Rosales there is nobody in the TEX system all the way down to Ronald Guzman (who will play for Myrtle Beach this year) who projects to be able to play 1b for TEX other than Mitch ... while Prince is on the DL.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other reason TEX may want to keep Mitch is because if Prince steps off the team bus and sprains his knee ... other than Adam Rosales there is nobody in the TEX system all the way down to Ronald Guzman (who will play for Myrtle Beach this year) who projects to be able to play 1b for TEX other than Mitch ... while Prince is on the DL.

Yeah, thats a good point too. Our depth at 1B on the farm isn't what it used to be.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The problem is Mitch can't stay healthy either.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
105.3 reported Harrison was at 270 lbs. True? Who knows but that is what was reported. Not a good sign. They compared his weight to Doug Free of the Cowboys. Don't shoot the messenger!

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's odd bc the report I heard about Harry was that he looked trim and in great shape. Are you sure it wasn't a joke or something?

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if you all knew this but according to Durrett and group of pitchers is known as a gaggle of pitchers. Thought it was kind of humorous. Hey, it's a slow baseball day.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
105.3 reported Harrison was at 270 lbs. True? Who knows but that is what was reported. Not a good sign. They compared his weight to Doug Free of the Cowboys. Don't shoot the messenger!

Was is the key word. My GF saw him at one point in Grapevine and said he was heavy. That was after the surgery. I'm sure he's back in better shape now.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pretty sure that is not true. There was one of those articles a few weeks ago where they talked about him being in the "best shape" of his life.
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/texa.../a-slimmer-matt-harrison-set-to-start-tossing

Edit. So it was in November, but still. I don't think the guy gained 30 pounds in two months.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone heard the Rangers are interested in Mark Reynolds?
220 avg
21 hr
67 rbi
306 obp

WHY?

Last edited by a moderator:

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just left the Winter Caravan and one things for sure the trade rumors around MM didn't affect the hair helmet he's still sporting it in grand style! Hope he stays healthy all year

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Anyone heard the Rangers are interested in Mark Reynolds?
220 avg
21 hr
67 rbi
306 obp

WHY?

Dunno ... I hate it when you see pieces in case here the one about Mitch a potential platoon DH and Reynolds name is run out there ... and not any mention of Baker. (T.R. Sullivan drives me crazy with pieces like this one Mitch Moreland may be part of Rangers DH platoon | texasrangers.com: News )

The piece even made mention that "Reynolds also can play third base, which would give the Rangers insurance behind Adrian Beltre". Reynolds is as effective at third base as would ARod be in 2014.

I would rather see a LH Mitch Moreland playing 3b than Mark Reynolds.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dunno ... I hate it when you see pieces in case here the one about Mitch a potential platoon DH and Reynolds name is run out there ... and not any mention of Baker. (T.R. Sullivan drives me crazy with pieces like this one Mitch Moreland may be part of Rangers DH platoon | texasrangers.com: News )

The piece even made mention that "Reynolds also can play third base, which would give the Rangers insurance behind Adrian Beltre". Reynolds is as effective at third base as would ARod be in 2014.

I would rather see a LH Mitch Moreland playing 3b than Mark Reynolds.

Maybe MM could turn around and bat right handed too. I wonder if he could hit .200?

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe MM could turn around and bat right handed too. I wonder if he could hit .200?

You know I have always wondered why learning to hit from the other side wasn't something that was worked on during the offseason during a player's time in the minors. Heck in the NL pitchers hit ... so surely if that is considered okay why not get position players to switch. Can't be any worse than the pitchers.

If guys can reverse and bat better than their same side split it would be great! But looking at Mitch's numbers ... there is only a 20point difference between his career BA against RHP and LHP.