• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They escaped paying him $25 Million this season. I'd say that's a pretty huge win for them.

The Yankees are thrilled, I'm sure.

And, he has a bonus in his contract which pays him $6 mil for each guy he ties/passes on the all time HR leader board. He's only 6 behind the Say-Hey Kid, but 60 behind - I find this number ironic - behind the Babe.

He'll surely get 6 more if he plays at all, ever. But losing this next season may well put a damper on passing Ruth.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending on asking price, Garza or Arroyo would be the two on my radar. Arroyo is an innings eating machine who has experience in a hitters park. Garza is a solid middle of the rotation guy, and I did like his fire.

I like Arroyo, but he's a fly ball pitcher and this doesn't play so well in Arlington.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The result of the meeting was that they were gonna try and get a #4 or #5 pitcher who has been healthy throughout his career. They also left open the option of signing a DH and trading moreland. In other words, it might not be just one new pitcher we'd be getting. Everyone believes that they will sign baker, but the tanaka market has in a way stalled everyone's actions to this point. But they aren't trading for price or someone like that. That's what they talked about at the meeting and most of the scouts were in a general agreement that doing something like that wasn't smart at this point because the price would even be higher than before. If we trade for a notable pitcher it will include moreland in the package. If we do something before signing a DH, it will probably be for a lesser known pitcher.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Arroyo, but he's a fly ball pitcher and this doesn't play so well in Arlington.

He did fine in Cincy which is also a HR hitters park, so that concerns me not so much, Cincy's ballpark is actually WAY more prone to the HR and actually ranks just a tad higher than RBIA in terms of runs as well

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, didn't even read about jerome williams. Apparently, another option is to SIGN a lesser known pitcher lol. At the meeting they spoke about trading for one, but I guess if they are confident in jerome than whatever. I personally don't care for him or his bright ass glove, but oh well

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My god, we're signing Angel rejects...we're more desperate than I thought...:L

I think the goal will to bring in as many low cost arms as possible, as let them battle it out in ST, which is a strategy I was in favor of long before Holland got hurt, the only difference is now they need for sure an extra arm in the rotation, while before it was a backup plan just in case

If he can pitch 50-100 effective innings I don't give a crap where he comes from

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the goal will to bring in as many low cost arms as possible, as let them battle it out in ST, which is a strategy I was in favor of long before Holland got hurt, the only difference is now they need for sure an extra arm in the rotation, while before it was a backup plan just in case

If he can pitch 50-100 effective innings I don't give a crap where he comes from
If he was worth a damn, the pitching challenged Angels would have kept him...he's not worth our time or money...

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he was worth a damn, the pitching challenged Angels would have kept him...he's not worth our time or money...

Its a stopgap, by that logic we should just stop looking, bc anyone who's a FA must suck b/c their old team didn't "want" them

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think I know where you're coming from. But, you're assuming our evaluation process and the Angels is the same. I say, "thank God it is totally different." See Josh Hamilton for details.

JTA.....didn't know this about the Cincy ballpark. You in favor of bringing him in? Cost?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn't play tthat great in cincy either, but he made it work. Like I said, I wouldn't be thrilled, but at a bargain I'd take him.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I know where you're coming from. But, you're assuming our evaluation process and the Angels is the same. I say, "thank God it is totally different." See Josh Hamilton for details.

JTA.....didn't know this about the Cincy ballpark. You in favor of bringing him in? Cost?

Didn't play tthat great in cincy either, but he made it work. Like I said, I wouldn't be thrilled, but at a bargain I'd take him.

Me and Romeo's thoughts on Arroyo are identical

Problem is, I wouldn't want to do more than 1 year

Edit: I didn't realize Arroyo gave up 46 HRs a couple years ago, thats unreal

Last edited by a moderator:

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Arroyo. He's very funky and everything, but he can pitch. He had several decent seasons with the reds. I don't know how he does it, but he does it. Cincy is not anymore of a home run park than we are. If we can sign bronson for a year or two MAX, then it may be worth thinking about. He's great in the clubhouse as well, I followed him because he was on my fantasy team the last two years lol.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Arroyo. He's very funky and everything, but he can pitch. He had several decent seasons with the reds. I don't know how he does it, but he does it. Cincy is not anymore of a home run park than we are. If we can sign bronson for a year or two MAX, then it may be worth thinking about. He's great in the clubhouse as well, I followed him because he was on my fantasy team the last two years lol.

The numbers from last year disagree with you BIG TIME, its a much better HR hitters park

Whatever they did to suppress hitting numbers at RBIA worked