• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get a clue and please change your avatar. You do that man a great disservice spewing that crap.

I think there is a misunderstanding between you too. The interwebs.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD wants Choo. But I would bet the farm he will never give him 7 years. If Choo wants to take 5(unlikely, if it's true the Yankees offered 7/$140), great, but no way he goes 7. He's seen the Angels belly flop from the top of space mountain with long term deals to 30+ year olds

I guess you just lost the farm

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's never swayed anybody to come here or any other state with no income tax before. It's almost always and certainly the biggest contract. Would Choo be an exception? I guess you can never 100% rule it out but if you're going to sign somewhere and get paid a butt load of money either way where would you sign right now? Texas or New York? It's a no brainer there. While I'd love to think state income taxes played a roll I just think he wanted to come here because he's getting a butt load of money and the Rangers are just the better team and organization right now and for the foreseeable future.

It sure does but it always usually boils down to the biggest contract. As I stated above I don't think the state income taxes played much of a role here.

You've touched on something here which has always been a head-scratcher to me. And that is, why are taxes and cost of living not seriously considered when negotiating contracts? If you make $140 mil in NY over 6/7 yrs vs $130 in TX, you net more money in Texas. But you've made a good point.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's never swayed anybody to come here or any other state with no income tax before. It's almost always and certainly the biggest contract. Would Choo be an exception? I guess you can never 100% rule it out but if you're going to sign somewhere and get paid a butt load of money either way where would you sign right now? Texas or New York? It's a no brainer there. While I'd love to think state income taxes played a roll I just think he wanted to come here because he's getting a butt load of money and the Rangers are just the better team and organization right now and for the foreseeable future.

It sure does but it always usually boils down to the biggest contract. As I stated above I don't think the state income taxes played much of a role here.
Think what you will. There is no way that you know if anybody was ever swayed or not. If it were the biggest contract as you stated then he would not be here and quite sure he didn't leave money on the table for nobility.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news!!! I was afraid Choo was taking a page out of Kyle Lohse's playbook... Now if we get Cruz or Morales this team will be good to go.... The hard part is done. I don't see how they won't get nelly when he refused a big offer from the mariners already. I'm glad JD is making some moves, he clearly saw what we did last year. Murphy and Moreland were atrocious. I'm hoping Moreland is traded soon.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy Choo day everyone! I know it's irrational probably on my part, but I'm more excited about the Choo signing than I was the Fielder trade. To me, this is one of those rare "perfect fit" signings that rarely come along, and we actually made it happen! I've been bemoaning our lack of a true on-base machine leadoff hitter for quite some time and we finally have one now. The 7 years is a bit long, but I think that price to pay is worth it. Worst case is he becomes an expensive platoon/role player in years 6 and 7. It's not like we haven't lived through that scenario before with a certain "face of the franchise".

Great day!!!

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what's the latest on Cruz now?
Just what I was thinking. We are definitely in the win it now phase so jump on board Nelson. This shouldn't take long on him.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The attention is on Cruz now. It's his turn to milk whatever he can.

Wonder if the M's will make a move toward him now? If there budget will allow.

Last edited by a moderator:

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think what you will. There is no way that you know if anybody was ever swayed or not. If it were the biggest contract as you stated then he would not be here and quite sure he didn't leave money on the table for nobility.

Sure we never concretely know but generally speaking everything I've seen and observed has been that state income taxes play a very small if any role in all in these situations. Like I said maybe Choo is an exception but if the Yankees and Rangers situation were reversed I believe he would be a Yankee today. I don't think it's about nobility...it's about the situation and being comfortable. When you're going to make 100+ million, you'll find a way to be comfortable in your surroundings. Texas is the better team and situation right now.

And let's remember these athletes have their accountants and CPA's doing their taxes and we all know there are loopholes to every system in maximizing whatever they can earn and keep.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He already turned down the Mariners.

I have a really hard time believing he turned down 5/75. That is unless he is pretty much dying to be a Ranger or not go to Seattle.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He already turned down the Mariners.

True. But surely they're going to try to make at least one more splash. Surely. If they don't, then the signing of Cano really makes no sense. If it ever did to begin with.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to have a FA come to Texas for less money for a change.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. But surely they're going to try to make at least one more splash. Surely. If they don't, then the signing of Cano really makes no sense. If it ever did to begin with.

It just came out a few days ago that they were at their limit and that's why experts were questioning why they signed Cano

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The so called "experts" assume we're out on Nelly or not pursuing him anymore. The team needs a DH still and Choo isn't good against lefties. Signing Cruz would help us mix and match depending on the opposing teams pitcher being a LH or RH.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The so called "experts" assume we're out on Nelly or not pursuing him anymore. The team needs a DH still and Choo isn't good against lefties. Signing Cruz would help us mix and match depending on the opposing teams pitcher being a LH or RH.

Morales makes sense too because he's a switch hitter but I doubt we sign him because he costs another pick