• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Off-Season Rumor

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I listened to Doug Wilson on KNBR and it sure seems like he is planning on more moves. I personally would hate seeing Marleau or Thornton dealt because i'd fear we wont get equal value back. I'm sure Dougie has a plan and will make the right decisions, but the next 4-6 weeks are going to stressful.

I would gladly move one step back to move two steps forward. In 2 years or less, these two will be worthless to the organization.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would gladly move one step back to move two steps forward. In 2 years or less, these two will be worthless to the organization.

I agree. At a minimum make Josephine and Patricia Sedin more accountable. Put them on the 4th line or in the press box for a game or two if they are sucking. Humility for these two is deserved at times and now that they are locked in they have no say for 3 years. He did that to Havlat, why not the Canadian Sedin sisters? TMac can't coach like he is afraid of those two and Dougie needs to back him up.

So far the moves are window dressing to me. Boyle was God awful last year. We all saw that here. No surprise. Havlat too. Still would like to see Kennedy, Rubbish and Baby Jay run out of here too. Robinson is moving to do some front office duties. Sharks have one too many assistant coaches anyways. Who needs 3?

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I listened to Doug Wilson on KNBR and it sure seems like he is planning on more moves. I personally would hate seeing Marleau or Thornton dealt because i'd fear we wont get equal value back. I'm sure Dougie has a plan and will make the right decisions, but the next 4-6 weeks are going to stressful.

Patty wont be moved, and I am not sure he should be. He might have been the best forward in the first 4 games. Like all else, he was god awful the last three, but he still has great speed and fits into a quickness, north-south game.

Jumbo is totally different. He is slow, fits in a cycle, puck possession style. However, for that reason his body is breaking down faster than patty's. He looks a ton slower, more injured, more aging to me. Patty is still blazing. I am no patty lover, but of the two, he is the one to keep and he is the face of the franchise, so I dont see dougie moving him.

What would be good value in return for jumbo? To me, there have gotta be a dozen teams lining up for his services. He's getting older, yes, but he is still extremely good in the regular season, and can be a huge piece for any team just trying to make the PO's. he was 13th in the entire league in scoring and a +20 to boot. Second in the league in assists. That's star numbers, and a clear #1 C. Old? Maybe, but at under 7M for 3 years, it's a good deal.

Toronto is in that boat having made the PO's only once in the last decade or so. Ottawa is too, so both of the teams near his hometown are in play, since both are looking for a #1C (especially with spezza on the move). Washington or NJ might also be biting. Even a PO team like philly or detroit could be fair game. I am pretty sure that if dougie is allowed to test the whole market and is not restricted by Jumbo's contract, then he can get a big haul for a player who puts up the production of jumbo, no matter what his age. I mean, top 15 in scoring every year for a decade? That's not a player that grows on trees or becomes available every day. The PO reputation lowers the value a bit, but the regular season production would be extremely valuable for bubble teams.

Personally, I would love to see them turn jumbo into a nice package of solid young players and/or a top pairing Dman under 30. Dougie will not just throw him away just to make a move. If a good return isnt there, then doug will keep him. That's why he isnt going to say either way right now.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As much as getting a D-Man like Weber would be amazing.....the D is not the problem. 5 goals in their last 4 games is why they lost, and this is the same way they go out every season, with a sputtering offense. But Weber would certainly help the PP too, and I'm all for anyone that will help this team out.
I just hope this is the tip of the iceberg....Like others have said, the Boyle and Havlat moves are no brainers, the hard part still lies ahead.
Honestly, I think the only 2 players who I would consider untouchable are Vlasic and Hertl. Vlasic is definitely a #1 D-Man, and Hertl could be a special scorer in this league. I would even listen to offers on Logan.....would take a LOT for me to move him, but I would listen.

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as getting a D-Man like Weber would be amazing.....the D is not the problem. 5 goals in their last 4 games is why they lost, and this is the same way they go out every season, with a sputtering offense. But Weber would certainly help the PP too, and I'm all for anyone that will help this team out.
I just hope this is the tip of the iceberg....Like others have said, the Boyle and Havlat moves are no brainers, the hard part still lies ahead.
Honestly, I think the only 2 players who I would consider untouchable are Vlasic and Hertl. Vlasic is definitely a #1 D-Man, and Hertl could be a special scorer in this league. I would even listen to offers on Logan.....would take a LOT for me to move him, but I would listen.

I agree that the defense is pretty good but in the playoffs it has to be better. We need Offensive D-men! Shea Weber will make this Defense one if not the best in the league. Then you have a lot of teams willing to deal in this day of age right now. If we get Weber and play our cards right getting one/two proven playoff winners... Doug doesn't want to change much, that won't be changing too much in my opinion. It is very possible to have happen too.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question for all of you?

Would it be safe to say that this could be the Sharks most important off-season in franchise history?

Every year the offense seems to disappear and the Power Play struggles in the playoffs and that usually is the reason the Sharks get eliminated. The Sharks lost a very important Dman in game #5 and from Kevin Kurz the team and coaching staff lost confidence in Niemi when he was pulled in game #5. They always say defense wins championships and lets be really honest with ourselves our defense is average at best.

Vlasic - Braun
Stuart - Boyle
Hannan - Demers

After Game #5

Stuart - Braun
Irwin - Boyle
Hannan Demers

To me Braun and Demers still need work and they are at best 2nd - 3rd pair level.
Stuart, Hannan, Irwin are at best 3rd pair level
Vlasic is a solid #1 Dman, but he has no offensive upside.

If the Sharks are going to get over this HUMP, they will need to have a TRUE #1 Dman that can eat hard minutes on 5 on 5 situations, can play PP and PK.

I really see Doug going hard this off-season bringing in TOP defense help and adding a Vet Goaltender. I dont see the defense going young next year, but a veteran blue line with the skill to make one and last real chance at the cup.

Braun, Demers, Vlasic, Stuart, Burns & Irwin will not be enough.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
just briefly read some Dwill Bullshit, no brainer Boyle was gone as was Havlat. But moving Burnsie back to D? Good job you just created a monstrous hole in your forward line up on the forecheck and net presence.

Guess what? theres no UFA's out there that fit the description period, unless they are dealing for big Buff out of winter pig. Same ole Doug, unless he makes legitamite change via trade I say get ready for a "soft" reset this summer, already pissed and disappointed kind of like the playoff performance of this team

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Question for all of you?

Would it be safe to say that this could be the Sharks most important off-season in franchise history?

Every year the offense seems to disappear and the Power Play struggles in the playoffs and that usually is the reason the Sharks get eliminated. The Sharks lost a very important Dman in game #5 and from Kevin Kurz the team and coaching staff lost confidence in Niemi when he was pulled in game #5. They always say defense wins championships and lets be really honest with ourselves our defense is average at best.

Vlasic - Braun
Stuart - Boyle
Hannan - Demers

After Game #5

Stuart - Braun
Irwin - Boyle
Hannan Demers

To me Braun and Demers still need work and they are at best 2nd - 3rd pair level.
Stuart, Hannan, Irwin are at best 3rd pair level
Vlasic is a solid #1 Dman, but he has no offensive upside.

If the Sharks are going to get over this HUMP, they will need to have a TRUE #1 Dman that can eat hard minutes on 5 on 5 situations, can play PP and PK.

I really see Doug going hard this off-season bringing in TOP defense help and adding a Vet Goaltender. I dont see the defense going young next year, but a veteran blue line with the skill to make one and last real chance at the cup.

Braun, Demers, Vlasic, Stuart, Burns & Irwin will not be enough.

Braun and Demers are honestly top pair defenseman with the right partner period. When Braun and Vlasic were paired Vlasics game took off and they shut down opposing teams easily. Demers needs a similar partner and Burns aint it.

This offseason from what little weve heard is already starting out like a shit show

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dont think Demers and Braun are nothing more than a 3rd pair. I just dont see all the fuss that most Shark fans talk about.

Hope im wrong, but until I see more improvements they will be nothing more than a 3rd pair.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I just dont think Demers and Braun are nothing more than a 3rd pair. I just dont see all the fuss that most Shark fans talk about.

Hope im wrong, but until I see more improvements they will be nothing more than a 3rd pair.

You do realize third pair is the last pairing of defensemen right? No way either one of those guys are that low, any team in the league they are atleast 2nd pairing with Braun easily being top pairing, to compliment a top level defensemen like a Shea Weber

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Braun for sure is a top 4, though I think its pushing it to call him a top pairing on a good team. He's got deceptively great speed and is positionally sound, but hes really a 20-22 minute guy, not the 23-25+ top pair type.

Demers remains a big question. He also has nice speed and good offensive skill as well, but his defensive game can be awesome or awful. He really struggled in the PO's, so I am still not convinced that he is a solid top 4 just yet. He certianly can be, but he needs to solidify the defensive game.

The sharks lack a true #1 dman like Doughty, Keith, Chara, Subban, Weber, or the like. They could really use one..

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Braun for sure is a top 4, though I think its pushing it to call him a top pairing on a good team. He's got deceptively great speed and is positionally sound, but hes really a 20-22 minute guy, not the 23-25+ top pair type.

Demers remains a big question. He also has nice speed and good offensive skill as well, but his defensive game can be awesome or awful. He really struggled in the PO's, so I am still not convinced that he is a solid top 4 just yet. He certianly can be, but he needs to solidify the defensive game.

The sharks lack a true #1 dman like Doughty, Keith, Chara, Subban, Weber, or the like. They could really use one..

Demers was playing with a broken foot, so that would explain it. His biggest issue is his health, I don't think he's played an 82 game season yet. Braun is a little like a Brent Seabrook light

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I was reading Purdy this morning and it appears Thornton/Marleau can be moved. To paraphrase what Wilson said:

Every contract Wilson negotiates does contain flexibilities and windows he acknowledged and Wilson does not consider himself handcuffed in the terms of making a possible trade.

So there you go. They are moveable which is good news.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well I was reading Purdy this morning and it appears Thornton/Marleau can be moved. To paraphrase what Wilson said:

Every contract Wilson negotiates does contain flexibilities and windows he acknowledged and Wilson does not consider himself handcuffed in the terms of making a possible trade.

So there you go. They are moveable which is good news.

Even w a NTC, you can get a player to waive it. Just do what Tampa did to Boyle.
If you think about it....if your GM and coach tell you they want to move you, most players aren't going to want to stay somewhere they aren't wanted anyway.
So there are definitely ways around it.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hearing that the Sharks are taking offers for Thornton, Marleau, and Niemi. That would be quite the shake up.

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hearing that the Sharks are taking offers for Thornton, Marleau, and Niemi. That would be quite the shake up.

:clap::clap::clap:

I'm sure Pavs & Demers would also be on that list. But, those 3 would be a fantastic start. :suds:

CJdublé

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
@PollakOnSharks: #SJSharks have one less goalie in mix as Sateri signs with KHL, per @ProHockeyTalk. Awaiting response, but team had touted him in past.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
@PollakOnSharks: #SJSharks have one less goalie in mix as Sateri signs with KHL, per @ProHockeyTalk. Awaiting response, but team had touted him in past.

No loss there, just means the sharks hold his rights while someone else pays him

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

That would be great, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Trading Thornton and Niemi would be awesome!

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Boys, Thornton and Marleau aren't moving. I believe they may be asked to take a different role on this team.