• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Off-Season Rumor

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Boys, Thornton and Marleau aren't moving. I believe they may be asked to take a different role on this team.

At nearly $7M/yr. each, what roles could they assume & leave enough cap room for impact players? I believe they both can be moved, but they move have to provide a short list of teams they would be willing to go to. Neither would want to stay, knowing they are dragging this franchise for years to come.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Concerning a new GM: Vancouver interviewed Scott Howson (VP of Hockey Operations with the Oilers) as a candidate for their vacant GM position. So those of you who want to get rid of Doug Wilson; be careful what you wish for, or the Sharks could be ran by a member of the stellar management team in Edmonton.

RaiderZar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Concerning a new GM: Vancouver interviewed Scott Howson (VP of Hockey Operations with the Oilers) as a candidate for their vacant GM position. So those of you who want to get rid of Doug Wilson; be careful what you wish for, or the Sharks could be ran by a member of the stellar management team in Edmonton.

Or the guy that built the Penguins... :yahoo:

DWil isn't going anywhere for at least another year. :bawling:

RaiderZar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shero lucked into back to back no brainer #1 overalls i wouldnt call him great by any stretch

That's cool. I just don't find DWil to be all that astute as GM & I don't think a change would kill us. As I recall, way back on the ESPN boards, everyone was calling for Lombardi's head. He hasn't done too badly in LA.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's cool. I just don't find DWil to be all that astute as GM & I don't think a change would kill us. As I recall, way back on the ESPN boards, everyone was calling for Lombardi's head. He hasn't done too badly in LA.

look at the situation he landed in, Ron Hextall was doing the majority of the scouting prior to being assistant GM in LA. Once again he had a no brainer situation, pick Drew Doughty or Steven Stamkos. Clear cut top picks in the draft, im not saying Deano is bad, however the sharks minor league/scouting system was a train wreck large in part due to Deano.

HighMark

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they jack up the prices again....after that epic collapse, I'm probably done as a season ticket holder.

We gave up ours after the last price hike. Really sucked, but just can't afford it anymore.

RaiderZar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From LeBrun re Ryan Miller:

You can also rule out fellow California club San Jose. The word out of there is that the Sharks are going to continue to focus on their mini-rebuild and it’s about youth for them. Adding veteran players is not in the cards in San Jose.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RaiderZar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
STANFORD, Calif. -- The San Jose Sharks have expanded associate coach Larry Robinson's role with the team to make him director of player development.

General manager Doug Wilson announced the change on Friday, calling Robinson "one of the most respected minds in hockey."

Robinson has been associate coach under Todd McLellan the past two seasons. He now will work more on developing Sharks players and prospects and spend less time behind the bench.

Robinson is a Hall of Fame defenseman who won six Stanley Cups as a player in Montreal, made 10 All-Star teams and won the Conn Smythe Trophy as the playoff MVP in 1978.

He also won one Stanley Cup as head coach in New Jersey and two more as an assistant.

Now, can we send Baby Jay to the Junior Sharks for a similar role? :gaah:

I like LR behind the bench. He is always in someone's ear. Passing on his vast wisdom. :clap:

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The more Wilson says, the more I believe he is looking to move Joe and Patty.
His recent comments...."I want players that want to play here, not just live here. " Then some talk about what some people see is a country club mentality inside the Sharks locker room. A big shakeup will not surprise me.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious about what the posters here think it will cost the Sharks to re-sign their free agents.

Wingles: RFA - last contract 775K / Year
Sheppard: RFA - last contract 803K / Year
Demers: RFA - last contract 1.25M / Year
Stalock: UFA - last contract 625K / Year

Others you can comment on but I don't care as much about:
Brown
Kearns
Hannan

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Saw some Yahoo sports story that said Toronto, and at least 5 other teams have inquired about Thornton.

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if this is even possible but I really think think the Sharks need to get aggressive and go after Patrick Kane. He is that player they've needed most. He can carry a team on his back in the playoffs and I could never imagine him letting this team slack. He'd make everyone around him better and with Thornton hopefully going to Toronto, this team can finally perhaps learn a new identity.

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think about the Sharks trading Pavelski to Florida for 1st pick in the draft and taking Ekblad?? Could there be a good enough deal in place to make that happen? This team needs a star offensive defensemen bad.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
dougie isnt moving pavs...

Jumbo on the other hand is definitely in play. Not much likelihood that hes gunna go to a team like FLA, first because he wont waive the NTC to go there, and second because they dont need a guy like him. Toronto makes much more sense as was rumored for several reasons:

1. its close to home for jumbo and he's likely waive the NTC for that.
2. They need to win... Now. They arent looking to rebuild and Jumbo gives instant credibility and likely PO spot. Not to mention that they have lots f good trade pieces including kadri, gardiner, franson and phaneuf among others.
3. they have the cap room to add.

I suppose a team like OTT, WSH or NJ might be biting, but TOR makes the most sense. I cant imagine weber for Jumbo being on he table and OTT really doesnt have a good offer to make as the sharks surely wont want spezza and there aint much left in terms of young talent there. WSH is interesting, but I dont see dougie trading much for green and carlson would be intriguing but unlikely. NJ also is pretty thin.

I dont know what PO teams would be knocking, but If the price is right, I could see dougie pulling the trigger.

A deal of Jumbo for Kazdri, Gardiner and a 1st would be interesting. It would be pretty risky for the leafs but missing the PO's is unacceptable there and in the short run, even that deal would increase their likelihood of making it. for the sharks, that would go a real long way to solidifying their top 9 forwards and top 4 D. Losing jumbo hurts alot but that return would be awesome. they would add in reimer for nemo if toronto wasnt biting originally. I dont see too many deals that make sense otherwise. Toronto is clearly the frontrunner.