• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Off-Season Rumor

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Surprized no one posted the article yet where ownership said Dwil, Todd & the staff are all keeping their jobs and that the ownership is confident with Wilsons list of projected changes...

This part is made up:
That list included... Raise season tickets, let boyle walk, sign Sopel as his replacement for 6M a yr (he has a cup ring), buyout Havlet, sign a 4th liner FA and 2 #6 dmen. Go with Niemi, trade Stalock for a 9th round pick. Trade Pavelski for a 4th rounder. Pocket all the money saved. Oh and keep thornton & marleau because they are very upset with how the team lost this series and will come back with fire

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
God no to Phaneuf and that albatross of a contract!!!
Now that Wilson and McLellan are staying, will be interesting to see what they do. I'm fine w keeping them both because this falls on the players.
Let's see who Wilson moves.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Surprized no one posted the article yet where ownership said Dwil, Todd & the staff are all keeping their jobs and that the ownership is confident with Wilsons list of projected changes...

This part is made up:
That list included... Raise season tickets, let boyle walk, sign Sopel as his replacement for 6M a yr (he has a cup ring), buyout Havlet, sign a 4th liner FA and 2 #6 dmen. Go with Niemi, trade Stalock for a 9th round pick. Trade Pavelski for a 4th rounder. Pocket all the money saved. Oh and keep thornton & marleau because they are very upset with how the team lost this series and will come back with fire

If they jack up the prices again....after that epic collapse, I'm probably done as a season ticket holder.

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah - my tenure as a season ticket holder ended a long time ago. Not entirely because of the constant and epic failure of our team in the post season however. But trying to get to 40+ games in a season is a serious commitment of time and effort, not to mention money. When they started folding constantly its hard to justify doing so any longer.

an increase in ticket prices only puts more people in this spot.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
personally, so far Im happy.

They arent going to publicly say that they will trade any specific player or state anything specific. First, it corners them, but moreso you lose leverage in the trade market when you telegraph the plan.

I am no lover of Todd. I think he is reasonable in the X's and O's, but his PP was god awful and he is too in love with jumbo and his top players. Furthermore, he failed to keep his team focused on the game when they gave up a tough goal, particularly in game 6 and obviously he didnt have the team ready in game 5. That said, a coach is only as good as his players, and todd has done a great job developing players. Obviously hertl and nieto have come a long way, but look at what shep, wingels, pickles, and braun have done under his leadership, so I have to give him some credit for that.

From what I hear, the roster changes are likely significant. I dont think wilson's plan is for tweaks nor is that what hasso wants. Furthermore the reference to the "last few seasons" implies that the changes are more long term players. I figure they will target a #1 Dman like Weber (maybe phaneuf since they really need a PP captain). However, the big million dollar question is are they looking to move jumbo. Patty will be staying, but will jumbo move?

Personally I want 4 big moves:

1. Allow to walk, trade for pucks, or buyout Boyle, Burrish and Havlat.

2. Trade Jumbo for phaneuf straight up.

3. Pavelski+Demers+1st rounder for Weber. Nashville needs a top line C and a 40 goal scorer at a good age with a 'cheap' 6M salary would do it for them.

4. Sign Stastny for 6 years, 42M (7M per).

The sharks would still have a solid set of forwards with Stastny-Cooch-Sheppard down the middle and Marleau, Burns, Wingels, Hertl, Nieto, and torres as main wingers. That's a pretty good top 9. Add desi as the 4th line C, and sign a few cheap wingers like downie and allow kennedy to try again.

The D would be one of the top 3 in the league with Weber, Phaneuf, Vlasic, Braun, Irwin, and Stuart. They could either allow mueller, tennyson, acolatse, doherty, or abeltshauser compete for the #7 spot. If a PP cant score with phaneuf and weber on the point, then nothing will.

The C would go to cooch with Weber and Pickles as the A's. This way patty does not have to worry about leading, because he does far better in a quiet role, just doing his thing.

As far as the cap, this plan works easily. They have 13M now for next year. buying out both burish and havlat would save roughly 5M= 18M on the cap. demers+Pavs is about equal to weber. Stastny adds 7M, so they would still have roughly 11M on the cap which they can use to resign wingels, sheppard, stalock, and still have some room for rooks and depth signings. This assumes that nemo stays. If they trade him and sign a depth goalie (hiller, elliot, halak, giguere, Griess) for 2M or less, then that will give them another 2M which they can keep for deadline or midyear moves.

Put it all together, they would have a question mark in net and theoretically thinner forward lines. However, they would be younger up front (stastny is just 28) and they would be fearsome on D turning Boyle and demers into phaneuf and Weber. Their PP issues should be far improved and the scoring they lose with pavs and jumbo leaving will likely be replaced by stastny, weber and phaneuf. I would expect they wont lose much in terms of scoring and with phaneuf and weber signed long term and at a good age in the prime, they should be good for a while there.

I dont see why these are impossible moves.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check out @PollakOnSharks's Tweet:

Last edited by a moderator:

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah - my tenure as a season ticket holder ended a long time ago. Not entirely because of the constant and epic failure of our team in the post season however. But trying to get to 40+ games in a season is a serious commitment of time and effort, not to mention money. When they started folding constantly its hard to justify doing so any longer.

an increase in ticket prices only puts more people in this spot.

I split mine w 2 other people, and the cost wouldn't kill me....it's the principle. Bow out like that, raise prices? No thanks.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
personally, so far Im happy.

They arent going to publicly say that they will trade any specific player or state anything specific. First, it corners them, but moreso you lose leverage in the trade market when you telegraph the plan.

I am no lover of Todd. I think he is reasonable in the X's and O's, but his PP was god awful and he is too in love with jumbo and his top players. Furthermore, he failed to keep his team focused on the game when they gave up a tough goal, particularly in game 6 and obviously he didnt have the team ready in game 5. That said, a coach is only as good as his players, and todd has done a great job developing players. Obviously hertl and nieto have come a long way, but look at what shep, wingels, pickles, and braun have done under his leadership, so I have to give him some credit for that.

From what I hear, the roster changes are likely significant. I dont think wilson's plan is for tweaks nor is that what hasso wants. Furthermore the reference to the "last few seasons" implies that the changes are more long term players. I figure they will target a #1 Dman like Weber (maybe phaneuf since they really need a PP captain). However, the big million dollar question is are they looking to move jumbo. Patty will be staying, but will jumbo move?

Personally I want 4 big moves:

1. Allow to walk, trade for pucks, or buyout Boyle, Burrish and Havlat.

2. Trade Jumbo for phaneuf straight up.

3. Pavelski+Demers+1st rounder for Weber. Nashville needs a top line C and a 40 goal scorer at a good age with a 'cheap' 6M salary would do it for them.

4. Sign Stastny for 6 years, 42M (7M per).

The sharks would still have a solid set of forwards with Stastny-Cooch-Sheppard down the middle and Marleau, Burns, Wingels, Hertl, Nieto, and torres as main wingers. That's a pretty good top 9. Add desi as the 4th line C, and sign a few cheap wingers like downie and allow kennedy to try again.

The D would be one of the top 3 in the league with Weber, Phaneuf, Vlasic, Braun, Irwin, and Stuart. They could either allow mueller, tennyson, acolatse, doherty, or abeltshauser compete for the #7 spot. If a PP cant score with phaneuf and weber on the point, then nothing will.

The C would go to cooch with Weber and Pickles as the A's. This way patty does not have to worry about leading, because he does far better in a quiet role, just doing his thing.

As far as the cap, this plan works easily. They have 13M now for next year. buying out both burish and havlat would save roughly 5M= 18M on the cap. demers+Pavs is about equal to weber. Stastny adds 7M, so they would still have roughly 11M on the cap which they can use to resign wingels, sheppard, stalock, and still have some room for rooks and depth signings. This assumes that nemo stays. If they trade him and sign a depth goalie (hiller, elliot, halak, giguere, Griess) for 2M or less, then that will give them another 2M which they can keep for deadline or midyear moves.

Put it all together, they would have a question mark in net and theoretically thinner forward lines. However, they would be younger up front (stastny is just 28) and they would be fearsome on D turning Boyle and demers into phaneuf and Weber. Their PP issues should be far improved and the scoring they lose with pavs and jumbo leaving will likely be replaced by stastny, weber and phaneuf. I would expect they wont lose much in terms of scoring and with phaneuf and weber signed long term and at a good age in the prime, they should be good for a while there.

I dont see why these are impossible moves.

I like your thinking here.At first I thought they would end up just making a small change here or there, but the more I think about it, I can see them really making some moves.
Hasso probably told Wilson he can stay, but he wants this roster overhauled. If you are saying you have faith in the GM and coach, then you are putting this on the players, which is how it should be. This "core" group has not been able to get over the hump, and have had MANY chances to do it.
Pavelski is the obvious choice to me to be dealt. You will never get a better sell high chance than this. Should be able to get a haul for him.
Joe or Patty, or both, need to go. I would prefer it be Thornton. Again, he just gets shut down in the playoffs.
Boyle is gone, unless he comes back for like $2M a year. I'm sure they look to give Havlat away. They can't get Burish out of here fast enough for me, he's been a waste of a roster spot.
I'm curious to see if they actually sign an impact free agent like Stastny. Goes against what Wilson believes in, but you can't overhaul w just trades....going to need an impact signing or 2.
Should be an interesting offseason.....at least it better be.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson is going to be on KNBR with Tolbert at 5:30 PM today. I think that was the time. So TMac is back? Can we at least get rid of Baby Jay?

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson is going to be on KNBR with Tolbert at 5:30 PM today. I think that was the time. So TMac is back? Can we at least get rid of Baby Jay?

Who will Remenda beat-up on the road trips? :noidea:

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check out @brodiebrazilCSN's Tweet:
:noidea: the wheels are turning

Last edited by a moderator:

koblix

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boyle, Havlat won't return to Sharks; Burns back to blue line | CSN Bay Area

Dan Boyle and Marty Havlat will not return to the San Jose Sharks next season, general manager Doug Wilson revealed on a conference call with media members on Thursday.

In addition, Brent Burns will return to the blue line after one full season playing forward for the Sharks.

Boyle, 37, collected 269 points (68 goals, 201 assists) and posted a plus-19 differential over six seasons with the Sharks. The two-time All-Star wears the "A" for San Jose as its alternate captain. He won a Stanley Cup with the Tampa Bay Lightning in 2004.

Havlat, 33, tallied 67 points (27 goals, 40 assists) over three years with San Jose.

Burns, 29, was converted from a defenseman to a forward in the middle of the 2012-13 season and scored 22 goals and added 26 assists in what could be his only full season as a forward last year.

koblix

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did the Sharks buy out Halvat's contract?

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The first two moves (getting rid of boyle an havlat) was highly predictable and correct. Hopefully they can move havlat, but for 5M, I cant imagine anyone wants him. I see this as dougie's first buyout but if Im not mistaken, the compliance buyout does not count against the cap, so that's 5M more. To me, the only reason to save that 5M is to make future more.

The burns to D move is a head scratcher. Obviously, the sharks needs some help on D especially on the PP, but is burns the answer? His O game has always bee good, but the Defensive side has been iffy. that's why he moved originally and I dont see that changing. In all honesty, I think the sharks are better off keeping him at O and throwing his wieght around. His shot is great and he is solid offensively. I dont like this move, because, to me, it might be a sign that they arent going to go after a true #1 Dman, which they need.

Either way, with 18M on the cap and just wingels, shep, demers, and stalock to resign, I gotta figure that today is just the start.

None of these announcements are a surprise aside from burns I suppose, but as long as burns is on the roster, he could just as easily be move back up. I wonder if the burns announcement simply serves the purpose of achieving some leverage in trade negotiations for phaneuf and/or weber so the sharks dont look so desperate. I still think dougie will target a Dman this offseason.

The big questions remain about little and big joes. To me, both are clearly in play, and dougie sure ain't gunna give that poker hand away at this stage, but dont be surprised if one or both is not on the opening roster next year.

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first two moves (getting rid of boyle an havlat) was highly predictable and correct. Hopefully they can move havlat, but for 5M, I cant imagine anyone wants him. I see this as dougie's first buyout but if Im not mistaken, the compliance buyout does not count against the cap, so that's 5M more. To me, the only reason to save that 5M is to make future more.
Agreed - Sorry to see Boyle go, in all honesty I would have liked to see him get another cup and I hold the douche-twins responsible for that. Great player for us.. but its time to move on. Havlat.. fuck him. I never liked his no-load (broken..) ass to begin with.

The burns to D move is a head scratcher. Obviously, the sharks needs some help on D especially on the PP, but is burns the answer? His O game has always bee good, but the Defensive side has been iffy. that's why he moved originally and I dont see that changing. In all honesty, I think the sharks are better off keeping him at O and throwing his wieght around. His shot is great and he is solid offensively. I dont like this move, because, to me, it might be a sign that they arent going to go after a true #1 Dman, which they need.
I think management is seeing the likes of Dough-boy and now Subban and hoping he will be that big body constantly pinching in from the blue line. If we can get some solid forward help to replace the loss I guess I am ok with that.. but I would rather see him up front with a guy like Weber in the back - as you implied.

Either way, with 18M on the cap and just wingels, shep, demers, and stalock to resign, I gotta figure that today is just the start.
I am kind of surprised that there wasn't a definitive remark in regards to Niemi.. but yeah - the number of guys to resign is short. That being said - its not our major problem...

None of these announcements are a surprise aside from burns I suppose, but as long as burns is on the roster, he could just as easily be move back up. I wonder if the burns announcement simply serves the purpose of achieving some leverage in trade negotiations for phaneuf and/or weber so the sharks dont look so desperate. I still think dougie will target a Dman this offseason.
interesting point. I seriously hope we are not going after Phaneuf.. I am not sure his 'professionalism' really adds to our team. Weber - well, one can always hope but he is going to be tough to land.. he's not an idiot and we are now the de-facto "fold in the playoffs" organization.. Unless we are making some bold moves I would see him going elsewhere, and the offers will be there.

The big questions remain about little and big joes. To me, both are clearly in play, and dougie sure ain't gunna give that poker hand away at this stage, but dont be surprised if one or both is not on the opening roster next year.

Yeah - that will be the interesting part of this discussion. Pav, as much as I love the guy, is at an all time high for trade value. I doubt he has another one of those seasons in him especially as the rest of our division tightens and if we move Big Joe or Patty. If we could get Stastny for him in some manner of trades and moves that would be good for us.

A couple of seasons ago I think we saw the best Joe Thornton we are going to see in the post season. He was throwing the weight around, skating, etc.. but still, imho, not dominant - or at least enough. This year was a major sag in the post season. I don't know if this is age or mental but its not a good sign and you have to wonder if now is the time to push on.

Marleau, well - I think if he is in the right role then he still works for us.. but he CANNOT be a captain or be relied to 'lead the team'. We need a Nolan-like guy to do that and let Patty drift around in the back ground and score goals - sort of what ANA did with Selanne.

Should be interesting - but right now I haven't heard anything compelling from management. In fact, as said previously, these are obvious announcements so where are the REAL changes?

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Reading over wilson's interiew more in depth, there are a few things that jump out as me.

1. He mentioned pavelski as a core "young" player several times. I get the feeling that Pavs is not going anywhere. If dougie views him along with cooch and pickles as the core, then it's hard to see him moving. I think if he is dealt, now is the time, but I dont see it coming anymore.

2. The key message over and over was that young guys will get a chance. I think what dougie saw in specifically nieto was a major message to him. Nieto was only on the team because of injury, but he was one of the best forwards in the PO's at age 21, and is now likely a 20 goal scorer next year if given legit linemates. I think guys like Tierney, Mueller, Kuraly, Abeltshauser and others will get a serious look.

To me, this implies that nemo may well be dealt. The way dougie talked about stalock sure seems like the kid is gunna take the reins.

3. There was absolutely no support of jumbo or patty. He called their deals fair market and assured that he was flexible in moving them as needed. He jumped in support of todd and L.R., jumped in support of his young guys, and jumped to unload boyle and havlat. To me, it sure sounded like dougie is gunna shop one or both of them. I would be shocked to see patty move, but he was very convincing to me that jumbo is in play. Trading Jumbo and Nemo (as well as stuart and havlat) sure seems like some real chips to play.

4. Lastly, though dougie implied that he wants to get younger, he has tons of cap space and the young guys he's talking about wont cost much. If he considers pavelski at nearly 30 as a core young players, then stastny would seem a real possibility.

Toronto a possible partner? They are awash in D (Phaneuf, Franson, Gardiner, etc.) , have no real #1 goalie and no real #1 C. The sharks have a surplus #1 goalie with a cup, a clear #1 C who hasnt missed the playoffs in a decade, and desperately need some solid D to replace boyle, stuart, and hannan. I could see a Jumbo+Nemo for Reimer + one of the D + maybe more. Toronto has gotta love a package like that since they arent looking to suck for a while to build for the future. They need to win now and jumbo+Nemo gives them two massive pieces toward that goal. It just makes sense for both teams. The big question is whether dougie can do well and land some of their young D and picks/prospects too.

I would love Jumbo+Nemo for Reimer, Gardiner, and kadri. I am not sure toronto would trade that much future, but Dougie has definitely raped teams before (including the leafs), so he may do it again.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I listened to Doug Wilson on KNBR and it sure seems like he is planning on more moves. I personally would hate seeing Marleau or Thornton dealt because i'd fear we wont get equal value back. I'm sure Dougie has a plan and will make the right decisions, but the next 4-6 weeks are going to stressful.