• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 FA / Combine / Draft

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB wont draft him. BB doesn't draft athletic guys. He'll draft someone no one knows and we'll all be scratching are heads again.

Yeah I hate the way BB drafts. He's a great coach, but his drafting isn't good.

patspa

PATS SEEKING SEVEN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was constructive.

What is your plan? Trade everybody and start over? Pats Pa you never have anything to add but bitterness. Are you ok?
I am totally fine, just want a defense that could stop someone when need be, and this d can't.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am totally fine, just want a defense that could stop someone when need be, and this d can't.
Actually the draft Bruschi proposed was a damn fine draft.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Eric - I would agree with the sentiment that the talent level on the defensive line in this years' draft is mediocre at best, especially at defensive end.

If I were to mock the first four rounds for the New England Patriots, this is what I would do:

Round 1 - Defensive Tackle (prospects start with Nix, Hageman and Sutton and in that order)

Round 2 - Tight End (Fiedorowicz)

Round 3 - Cornerback (in case Talib is gone, they are going to need a press man cover corner with solid agility, length and speed. Purifoy and Roberson from Florida as well as Baptiste from Nebraska each fit that mold)

Round 4 - Offensive Tackle (Seantrel Henderson, Miami is a possible right tackle solution in case Vollmer gets hurt again)

In summation - these four picks that I would mock solidify the aging Wilfork and Kelly; provide the possibility of two heavy tight end sets with a 2nd tight end red zone target and a backup plan for Gronkowski and his injury history; a press man cover corner with good size and speed that allows Talib to walk with Dennard, Ryan and Arrington taking the first three starting spots; and an offensive tackle who can play on the right side and has pretty good agility for a man that is 6' 7" 345" and has drawn comparison to Fluker out of Alabama and who is now with the Chargers.)

Hageman looks like he can really run well and can get a lot of pressure if he gets any daylight at all. That's the type of DT I'd like to see them add but NFLDraftScout has him rated as the #1 DT right now. I doubt he'll be on the board for the Pats. Armstead was supposedly that kind of player so until they release him I'll hold out hope for 2014...two DTs like that would be better though :-)

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey bru...know anything about Razorbacks' DT Robert Thomas? He's got good size and is supposed to be disruptive. He broke his leg in October and is a top shelf character guy.

The 6-foot-3, 325-pound starter had been off to a strong start this season with 31 tackles in seven games, including six for losses and 3.5 sacks. Two of his sacks had come in Southeastern Conference play, and his play had drawn significant attention from NFL scouts.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I hate the way BB drafts. He's a great coach, but his drafting isn't good.

You can make arguments GB and Carroll in Seattle have done better. No one else has done close to as well.

Bruschi_Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey bru...know anything about Razorbacks' DT Robert Thomas? He's got good size and is supposed to be disruptive. He broke his leg in October and is a top shelf character guy.

The 6-foot-3, 325-pound starter had been off to a strong start this season with 31 tackles in seven games, including six for losses and 3.5 sacks. Two of his sacks had come in Southeastern Conference play, and his play had drawn significant attention from NFL scouts.

Arkansas Robert Thomas drawing high interest from NFL scouts - NFL.com

It all depends on how he is recovering from his injury. He could be worth a good look in the 6th round with the possibility of getting a medical redshirt his 1st year. I can tell you that when he got hurt that the Arkansas defensive line play suffered a great deal after he went down.

?14 NFL Draft: Defensive Line Rankings

Arkansas starter Robert Thomas suffers college career-ending injury - SBNation.com

Bruschi_Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hageman looks like he can really run well and can get a lot of pressure if he gets any daylight at all. That's the type of DT I'd like to see them add but NFLDraftScout has him rated as the #1 DT right now. I doubt he'll be on the board for the Pats. Armstead was supposedly that kind of player so until they release him I'll hold out hope for 2014...two DTs like that would be better though :-)

Hageman is the real deal and he is the #2 DT behind Nix. I think you are looking at a different prospect ranking board for some reason Krafty.

As far as Hageman getting to where the Patriots draft, he could certainly still be there. This is a deep draft and we should all expect a number of guys to slip to the end of the first round. This is by far a deeper draft than last year.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hageman is the real deal and he is the #2 DT behind Nix. I think you are looking at a different prospect ranking board for some reason Krafty.

As far as Hageman getting to where the Patriots draft, he could certainly still be there. This is a deep draft and we should all expect a number of guys to slip to the end of the first round. This is by far a deeper draft than last year.

I used to pay for NFLDraftScout's info until CBS Sports bought them a few years back. I probably still go there mostly out of habit but I also like the layout of their site...all the positional rankings are right at the top of the page. I don't bother going to CBS much because it's pretty much the same info or it used to be anyway.

Here's Hageman's page:
RaShede Hageman | Minnesota, DT : 2014 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Here's their overall DT rankings:
The Sports Xchange College Football/NFL Draft Scout Rankings, From Prep to Pro Coverage by the Sports Xchange

Bruschi_Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to pay for NFLDraftScout's info until CBS Sports bought them a few years back. I probably still go there mostly out of habit but I also like the layout of their site...all the positional rankings are right at the top of the page. I don't bother going to CBS much because it's pretty much the same info or it used to be anyway.

Here's Hageman's page:
RaShede Hageman*|*Minnesota,*DT*:*2014 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Here's their overall DT rankings:
The Sports Xchange College Football/NFL Draft Scout Rankings, From Prep to Pro Coverage by the Sports Xchange

CBS has prospect rankings that include underclassmen while NFL Draft Scout does not as of right now but will update that list once underclassmen declare.

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that so many teams need QB's, OL, WR is going to allow some of these DE/DT to slide to us. Which is a good thing, maybe? Only way it can hurt if BB trades out again cause he see's value in the 2nd rd over who is there in the first.

Bruschi_Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that so many teams need QB's, OL, WR is going to allow some of these DE/DT to slide to us. Which is a good thing, maybe? Only way it can hurt if BB trades out again cause he see's value in the 2nd rd over who is there in the first.

Yea - based on my view, here are the projected top 20 picks (non-playoff teams) in my view:

QB - Bridgewater, Carr, Manziel, Bortles (There is a 50/50 shot that each of these quarterbacks are taken within the top 20 with two guaranteed in Bridgewater and Manziel. I am also still watching if Hundley in fact does declare and if his stock would rise prior to the draft.)

CB - Dennard (I think that he will be the only CB off of the board in the top 20)

DE - Clowney (There is a reasonable chance that at least one other will be off of the board in the top 20 and that would be Tuitt, Notre Dame)

ILB - Mosley (He should be the only ILB off of the board in the top 20)

OLB - Barr, Mack, Shazier (and I would not rule out Van Noy as cracking the top 20)

RB - None (As of right now, there is not a projected running back being drafted in the top 20 according to NFL Draft Scout. With that said, I would not be surprised if Carey, Sims, Mason, Seastrunk, Sankey, or Hyde were taken. My guess is that Carey or Sims will be drafted within the top 20)

WR - Watkins, Lee, Evans (I am pretty confident that those three guys will be in the top 20 but would not be surprised if Lee and Evans slip. Additionally, the depth at this position in this years' draft is very considerable. I would not be surprised if Davante Adams, Kelvin Benjamin, Jordan Matthews, and/or Donte Moncrief took a considerable leap into the first round. Count me down for three wideouts still being draft within the top 32.)

OT - Matthews, Kouandjio, Lewan, Erving (I have four being drafted in the top 20)

TE - Ebron (Ebron with an outside shot of ASJ and Amaro of being drafted in the top 20. Ebron will assuredly be drafted in the top 20)

Therefore, I see a minimum of 1 tight end, 4 offensive tackles, 3 wide receivers, 1 running back, 3 outside linebackers, 1 inside linebacker, 1 defensive end, 1 cornerback, and 2-4 quarterbacks being drafted inside the top 20.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bru - you think that Ebron will go before Amaro & ASJ?

Bruschi_Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bru - you think that Ebron will go before Amaro & ASJ?

There is no doubt in my mind that Ebron will be the first tight end off of the board and will be the 2nd skill player drafted that is not a quarterback behind Watkins and ahead of Marqise Lee and Mike Evans.

ohiopatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Random Thoughts

Just a few random thoughts as the Pats head into another playoff season. First, with all the injuries to key personnel, I never thought the team would be here. Win or lose in the playoffs, a great finish to a tough season. Second, just thinking about all the Rutgers players on the Pats (especially in the defensive backfield) and wondering, if Schiano gets fired at Tampa Bay, might he be picked up by BB as an assistant coach? Schiano started out as a DB coach and might fit there, with Flores moving on to other duties. Third, remember that Armstead and Harrison should be back next spring. Armstead might be a good mobile D lineman and Harrison has the size to be a factor as a receiver in the red zone. Fourth, I hope in the 2014 draft BB concentrates on solid linemen on both sides of the ball, who can control the line of scrimmage and also gets a solid TE to back up Gronk.

Merry Christmas to all!

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd bet $$ BB drafts at least 1 TE in the first couple rounds. Maybe 2.

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no doubt in my mind that Ebron will be the first tight end off of the board and will be the 2nd skill player drafted that is not a quarterback behind Watkins and ahead of Marqise Lee and Mike Evans.

Bold statement, considering how much a bad showing at the combine (especially the attitude parts of it) can hurt a first rounder's draft stock.