• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 FA / Combine / Draft

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard that too and until I hear it from a real source, I'm filing it under wishful thinking. I would happily deal Mallett for the Texans' second round pick, or Mallett and another pick for a first rounder (I assume not Houston's first rounder, but if they deal their first for, say, Arizona's first rounder at #20 and other picks, I could see the Pats dealing Mallett and their 2nd rounder for #20), but we've been talking Mallett trades forever and I don't assume it's ever going to happen.

Worth monitoring in all this: Andre Johnson's contentedness or lack thereof. With a breakout WR star and Johnson potentially rather unhappy with the situation, they may opt to trade him. They wouldn't trade him to us (can you imagine how bad they'd be crucified by their fans if Mallett didn't work out and we won a SB with Johnson, or worse, if Mallett did work out and then we eliminated them from the playoffs on a Johnson catch?), but it could potentially give them another bundle of picks to throw around.

Last edited by a moderator:

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mallet to Hou? Hmmm....Interesting for sure. I would love to take their early 2nd rd pick. It will make it easier for are needs. I am still leaning towards DE as the first pick, then TE. Would love to land Tuitt and hope Jace or Nilklas is there in the second. If no Tuitt, take that TE if he is there. SS is a weak class, so we may need to look to FA or stick it out with Gregory. I would not mind seeing Whitner here, but the money maybe to much.

bunchofpixels

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind seeing 2 TE's taken early. The Patriots seem to be able to acclimate TE's quickly. I think Gronk is a lost cause and they really have nobody else. WR is also a weakness but already too many young projects there.

Bruschi_Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was checking out athletic DEs they might be able to get on day two of the draft...at least as of right now.

Anyone see much of Louisville's Marcus Smith this year?

He looks athletic, similar to Collins, and had a good Bowl game vs Miami. He's a current riser and is projected to go in the 2nd-3rd round. He's a converted QB and probably still has an upside because of it. He had 10.5 sacks this year and was voted to the All American Conference first team defense by the coaches. He's going on my mock somewhere.

Check him out:

Marcus Smith (OLB/DE Louisville) vs Miami, 2013 Russell Athletic Bowl - YouTube

Krafty - Some info on Marcus Smith....

Senior Bowl Notes: Tuesday - All Star Circuit - Rotoworld.com

DE/OLB Marcus Smith, Louisville - Had a strong day, showing his ability to transition to a 3-4 OLB and playing standing up. He’s proven from a movement standpoint that he can fit at that position. He didn’t shine from a pass rush standpoint from a stand up position but that might take a little bit of time. He was comfortable dropping in coverage and and knocked down a pass after dropping on one quick throw during practice. He’s not as violent with his hands, especially on his pass rush, but the athleticism and scheme versatility should raise his profile in the eyes of the NFL scouts.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind seeing 2 TE's taken early. The Patriots seem to be able to acclimate TE's quickly. I think Gronk is a lost cause and they really have nobody else. WR is also a weakness but already too many young projects there.

Gronk is a lost cause?

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Krafty - Some info on Marcus Smith....

Senior Bowl Notes: Tuesday - All Star Circuit - Rotoworld.com

DE/OLB Marcus Smith, Louisville - Had a strong day, showing his ability to transition to a 3-4 OLB and playing standing up. He’s proven from a movement standpoint that he can fit at that position. He didn’t shine from a pass rush standpoint from a stand up position but that might take a little bit of time. He was comfortable dropping in coverage and and knocked down a pass after dropping on one quick throw during practice. He’s not as violent with his hands, especially on his pass rush, but the athleticism and scheme versatility should raise his profile in the eyes of the NFL scouts.

I read a headline without reading the article, ( time restraints ) it indicated some of the quote top rated QBs had flaws that were exploited, wonder how that will affect the draft if at all.

dblakejr7

Preacher Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am thinking about moving this thread to the stick and combine it with the other draft combine free agent thread.. any objections befor ei do?

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am thinking about moving this thread to the stick and combine it with the other draft combine free agent thread.. any objections befor ei do?

Do what you fell is best. Only potential downside is that is may get convoluted

Bruschi_Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read a headline without reading the article, ( time restraints ) it indicated some of the quote top rated QBs had flaws that were exploited, wonder how that will affect the draft if at all.

Hey mojo - you are correct in that statement. There is considerable risk when it comes to the top tier of college football quarterback prospects in lieu of their projected draft slot.

Bridgewater has a perceived height issue, Bortles has an issue of forcing the ball and Carr has an issue when the pocket collapses.

In my view, I still like Bridgewater despite the height concerns because that concern has been squashed based on the performance of other quarterbacks. I like Bortles ball and his athleticism but he could be a turnover machine in the NFL. And, if Carr has an issue when the pocket collapses then he needs to be placed on a team where their offensive philosophy is to get the ball out of hands and to the receivers inside of three seconds.

For my money, if Zach Mettenberger gets medically cleared with his knee and is able to participate in the combine and the Pro Day, he is the best value at quarterback in this years' draft. He got a full year of tutelage with Cam Cameron as his offensive coordinator and, in my view, was the best college quarterback in making the read transgressions that are required to be a successful NFL quarterback.

Mettenberger is a steal in round 3. If the Pats trade Mallet, Mettenberger is the guy to go after.

dblakejr7

Preacher Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok i merged the threads i read through most of it and lots of things were being duplicated or would have been duplicated .. so yeah.. the only thing i didnt include were mock drafts.. should there be enough interest we can make a mock thread...

warrior i like your insights on the qb position.. Met could very well be a hiddem gem should he be cleared.. not impressed with anyone really in the senior bowl so far.. with all the hype surrounding these guys i expected more..

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey mojo - you are correct in that statement. There is considerable risk when it comes to the top tier of college football quarterback prospects in lieu of their projected draft slot.

Bridgewater has a perceived height issue, Bortles has an issue of forcing the ball and Carr has an issue when the pocket collapses.

In my view, I still like Bridgewater despite the height concerns because that concern has been squashed based on the performance of other quarterbacks. I like Bortles ball and his athleticism but he could be a turnover machine in the NFL. And, if Carr has an issue when the pocket collapses then he needs to be placed on a team where their offensive philosophy is to get the ball out of hands and to the receivers inside of three seconds.

For my money, if Zach Mettenberger gets medically cleared with his knee and is able to participate in the combine and the Pro Day, he is the best value at quarterback in this years' draft. He got a full year of tutelage with Cam Cameron as his offensive coordinator and, in my view, was the best college quarterback in making the read transgressions that are required to be a successful NFL quarterback.

Mettenberger is a steal in round 3. If the Pats trade Mallet, Mettenberger is the guy to go after.

And if the Pats trade Mallett and end up with two second round picks they can afford to reach a little if they feel he will be gone by time our 3rd round pick rolls around

Bruschi_Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if the Pats trade Mallett and end up with two second round picks they can afford to reach a little if they feel he will be gone by time our 3rd round pick rolls around

Yep and that would not be the worst thing to do in the world considering I have seen Mettenberger land in Oakland with their 1st 3rd round pick and if Mettenberger landed in Oakland, he will be the starter there fairly quickly in my view.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep and that would not be the worst thing to do in the world considering I have seen Mettenberger land in Oakland with their 1st 3rd round pick and if Mettenberger landed in Oakland, he will be the starter there fairly quickly in my view.

And IMO we could probably get Cassell off FA on the cheap that would give Mettenberger the time he needs to fully heal. There we got it figured out, please draft the letter to BB, I will endorse if need be.

Bruschi_Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And IMO we could probably get Cassell off FA on the cheap that would give Mettenberger the time he needs to fully heal. There we got it figured out, please draft the letter to BB, I will endorse if need be.

Yep - that would actually be a plausible scenario....

Bruschi_Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanley Jean-Baptiste - faring well at the Senior Bowl workouts...

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-01-23 at 3.12.47 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-01-23 at 3.12.47 PM.png
    56.6 KB · Views: 45

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanley Jean-Baptiste - faring well at the Senior Bowl workouts...

IMO, Utah's Keith McGill has played well during Senior Bowl practice. Everyone's looking for the next big corner though so he might be overrated

dblakejr7

Preacher Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think i would go safety over corner at this point.. ill have to look deeper at whats out there for safety help in the draft.. they always seem to lump all the dbs together

Bruschi_Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am reviewing the list of players that have declared for this draft. This is going to be a impactful draft for a lot of teams.

I would like to see the Patriots accumulate some 2nd and 3rd round picks.