• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 FA / Combine / Draft

Bruschi_Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelvin Benjamin is declaring.

Another fair assessment on him. 1st round grade and too many drops.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-01-10 at 4.12.24 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-01-10 at 4.12.24 PM.png
    56.2 KB · Views: 64

Bruschi_Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see the TE talent pool getting bigger in a year when the Pats need one.

Hey Krafty - How is it going? So what do you think about what we have been talking about on the thread?

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see the TE talent pool getting bigger in a year when the Pats need one.

I agree! I think Niklas would be a great fit with this team, and its not cause I like ND...LOL. I honestly think the kid can play, and is an all around TE. Prob get him late 2nd early 3rd, no?

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Krafty - How is it going? So what do you think about what we have been talking about on the thread?

Sup bru...if you're talking about Benjamin, I have to first say all I've seen was the youtube link in this thread so with that in mind...my opinion is...at times he looks more like a pass catching TE than top WR but at other times he looks like he could be an Anquan Boldin type player. I don't know how you can predict that so as of right now I'd stay away from him if I was picking the players. The Senior Bowl and Combine etc. will get it figured out better though not perfectly as usual.

Bruschi_Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sup bru...if you're talking about Benjamin, I have to first say all I've seen was the youtube link in this thread so with that in mind...my opinion is...at times he looks more like a pass catching TE than top WR but at other times he looks like he could be an Anquan Boldin type player. I don't know how you can predict that so as of right now I'd stay away from him if I was picking the players. The Senior Bowl and Combine etc. will get it figured out better though not perfectly as usual.

There is a big difference between Boldin and Benjamin as well. Boldin is a superior blocker and Benjamin is not a good blocker either.

I think that he is a project in the Stephen Hill mold and I wouldn't draft him in the 1st round.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a big difference between Boldin and Benjamin as well. Boldin is a superior blocker and Benjamin is not a good blocker either.

I think that he is a project in the Stephen Hill mold and I wouldn't draft him in the 1st round.

I was talking about the similarity as a strong WR only, not blocking etc. If you look at tape of another highly rated big WR like A&M's Mike Evans, you can see he has better hands than Benjamin showed on that tape in this thread.

The Pats have other needs that are more important IMO anyway.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree! I think Niklas would be a great fit with this team, and its not cause I like ND...LOL. I honestly think the kid can play, and is an all around TE. Prob get him late 2nd early 3rd, no?

I am left unimpressed with Niklas, it's not to say he does not have some skills just not sure I take him prior to round five and IMO we need to take a TE before round four. If we can get a good DT and TE in first two rounds I would be happy. I would love a solid #1 WR but I can not see BB taking a WR before round 4, there is also a need for OG/C. If we take a TE I really hope we get an athletic TE with some open field skills and solid route running skills.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am left unimpressed with Niklas, it's not to say he does not have some skills just not sure I take him prior to round five and IMO we need to take a TE before round four. If we can get a good DT and TE in first two rounds I would be happy. I would love a solid #1 WR but I can not see BB taking a WR before round 4, there is also a need for OG/C. If we take a TE I really hope we get an athletic TE with some open field skills and solid route running skills.

Niklas received a second-round grade from the NFL Draft Advisory board after a junior season in which he blossomed as an every-down tight end, catching 32 passes for 498 yards and five touchdowns.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niklas received a second-round grade from the NFL Draft Advisory board after a junior season in which he blossomed as an every-down tight end, catching 32 passes for 498 yards and five touchdowns.

Okay, but IMO he is not the type of TE I would spend a second rounder on for this team. Although if Gronk cant stay healthy we may need a bigger less athletic TE. In the end you typically can't go wrong taking a ND TE.

Bruschi_Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More Kelvin Benjamin prospect news.....This would make three independent sources:

2014 NFL Draft: Benjamin adds 1st-round potential to deep WR class - CBSSports.com

"Benjamin needs to show more development and focus at the catch point to complete catches and do a better job finishing with the ball. He is still raw in several areas, including his route running."

:agree:

So you skipped right over the part where they mention first round potential, LOL I expect nothing less from you. When you are rated as the #4 receiver and a projected first round pick there is not a whole lot of credence in hanging around college another year. :laugh3:

Last edited by a moderator:

rehone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This draft is very deep with most of the real talent depth in rounds 2 thru 4. This is a draft where there is not a great deal of drop off in talent from late in first round through the middle of second round so I expect BB to trade out of our #1 for more picks in rounds 2-4.

It will be a typical Pats draft that frustrates the heck out of us but like the last few I expect a few gems. It seems the draft is becoming more about depth of talent than blockbuster like talent levels in the top players.

I would like to see a DT or another edge rusher but this draft seems limited there. We need a pass catching TE but do we replicate Gronk or go for a speed TE like the persone never to be mentioned sitting in the slammer for life?

Are we satisfied with the kids we drafted at WR and UDFA Thompkins? Do we draft another WR. I kind of doubt it. I would really like to see a mauler at center and have wondered if they could move Cannon or even Mankins to center with Vollmer back next year.

Pats had 49 sacks this year and I thought we might need another edge rusher but that guy might be on the team now in Collins. I know it is only one game but based off his rapid development Collins is that elite hybrid LB/DE that BB has craved forever. Collins might end up a star.

The draft may be less important if we can keep Talib, Blount, and Edelman and if we cannot it will really be important. The weird thing is outside of a few players this is a very young team.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This draft is very deep with most of the real talent depth in rounds 2 thru 4. This is a draft where there is not a great deal of drop off in talent from late in first round through the middle of second round so I expect BB to trade out of our #1 for more picks in rounds 2-4.

It will be a typical Pats draft that frustrates the heck out of us but like the last few I expect a few gems. It seems the draft is becoming more about depth of talent than blockbuster like talent levels in the top players.

I would like to see a DT or another edge rusher but this draft seems limited there. We need a pass catching TE but do we replicate Gronk or go for a speed TE like the persone never to be mentioned sitting in the slammer for life?

Are we satisfied with the kids we drafted at WR and UDFA Thompkins? Do we draft another WR. I kind of doubt it. I would really like to see a mauler at center and have wondered if they could move Cannon or even Mankins to center with Vollmer back next year.

Pats had 49 sacks this year and I thought we might need another edge rusher but that guy might be on the team now in Collins. I know it is only one game but based off his rapid development Collins is that elite hybrid LB/DE that BB has craved forever. Collins might end up a star.

The draft may be less important if we can keep Talib, Blount, and Edelman and if we cannot it will really be important. The weird thing is outside of a few players this is a very young team.

I too can see BB trading out of round one. IMO we really need to get a speedy agile TE ala Aaron. I would not mind seeing another WR but would rather he look at FA. Other than TE I think DT / SS / OG-C/ WR / DE would be my preference. I guess we really need to see who we lose and gain in FA.

I was thinking after the season ends when ever it may be that I may want to start a Sticky. Pats prognosticators. Posters do a pre FA / Combine draft and a post FA / Combine draft. With a brief description of why you chose the player.

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, but IMO he is not the type of TE I would spend a second rounder on for this team. Although if Gronk cant stay healthy we may need a bigger less athletic TE. In the end you typically can't go wrong taking a ND TE.

I agree, Pats can't afford to take him in the 2nd, unless they pick up a FA or something. I still like the kid from Wash in the 1st. Can't take 2 TE back to back. Now if he fell to the 3rd, different story.

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the draft is as deep as you're saying, it's the perfect time to trade down - if you can find a trade partner who isn't thinking exactly the same way. Would love to see them turn their first into a mid-2nd, 3rd and a 5th+ in a deep draft unless there's a player available who slid far enough down the board that they just have to grab him (and, if there is, they might be able to get a big enough haul to still justify it).

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't blame the players for declaring and making it a deep draft...it's about getting to that second contract a year earlier:

At least 90 players who had college eligibility remaining are expected to enter the draft, shattering last year's record number of 73.
"It's a humongous number, so the first reaction is it makes you step back a little bit," said NFL Network draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah, a former scout with the Baltimore Ravens, Cleveland Browns and Philadelphia Eagles. "What I'm hearing is that the agents always have to make the sales pitch to get these to come out. This year, what I've been told is the sales pitch is that all your money right now is coming from the second contract, so you need to come out early so you can get to that second contract a year earlier ... and apparently it's been pretty effective."

rehone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't blame the players for declaring and making it a deep draft...it's about getting to that second contract a year earlier:

At least 90 players who had college eligibility remaining are expected to enter the draft, shattering last year's record number of 73.
"It's a humongous number, so the first reaction is it makes you step back a little bit," said NFL Network draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah, a former scout with the Baltimore Ravens, Cleveland Browns and Philadelphia Eagles. "What I'm hearing is that the agents always have to make the sales pitch to get these to come out. This year, what I've been told is the sales pitch is that all your money right now is coming from the second contract, so you need to come out early so you can get to that second contract a year earlier ... and apparently it's been pretty effective."

Thew risk is too high if you stay in college although the new CBA is not as profitable but I agree getting to the second contract a year earlier is important money wise.

Bruschi_Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you skipped right over the part where they mention first round potential, LOL I expect nothing less from you. When you are rated as the #4 receiver and a projected first round pick there is not a whole lot of credence in hanging around college another year. :laugh3:

Guess what - being projected as a 1st round draft pick with the issues that he has as a player, makes it that much more likely that he will be a bust.

Oh look - a Disney movie.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You know that is a great point. Getting a player in the draft especially with the new CBA is easy enough retaining said player is a horse of another color. It sort of makes it a win now league more than ever. And I think gives seasoned vets a chance of one or two more years. It's hard to retain guys that want that huge check. Excellent point.