• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Spring Training Thread

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe this year he'll actually show he wants the job.

I think he showed that in the past, but it's tough when you aren't sure if you will be playing that day. He had to platoon with Nap and Mike last year. That has to be tough.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he showed that in the past, but it's tough when you aren't sure if you will be playing that day. He had to platoon with Nap and Mike last year. That has to be tough.

He never came in and established that 1st base was his if he had he would played more but he was not a solid enough performer. He needs to come in to ST and establish that he's the #1 at that position or he'll be sitting in the dugout watching Berkman and Opt splitting time out there.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He never came in and established that 1st base was his if he had he would played more but he was not a solid enough performer. He needs to come in to ST and establish that he's the #1 at that position or he'll be sitting in the dugout watching Berkman and Opt splitting time out there.

You know Wash's love for Mike and Nap as well as the next guy. There is nothing short of hitting a HR at every at-bat that would have put Moreland in the lineup over either of those two guys.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know Wash's love for Mike and Nap as well as the next guy. There is nothing short of hitting a HR at every at-bat that would have put Moreland in the lineup over either of those two guys.

Exactly.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thats just ignorant, we SHOULD all know, no matter what he did, Young was going to syphon off ABs and starts from him in some way, shape or form whether it be directly or indirectly

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
not a chance he was back before, now, if its possible, its even less

... even quite a bit less.

If he's inactive for the first 50 games ... and TEX finds the RF situation is getting quality ABs for Martin and Olt ... then he could have difficulty getting back on the 25man right away.

May come down to whether Gentry is hot or not. If Gentry is not hot ... then Cruz has the opening to get back on the roster. If Gentry is hot ... then Cruz' absence allows TEX to use Martin in a corner and not platoon in CF as much as they now consider. Provides potentially another spot for Olt to get regular work.

Far more upside for TEX in full set of ABs for both Martin and Olt than having them having to share ABs with each other or Gentry or Moreland just so Cruz can maybe produce before he becomes a FA in November.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Scotty ... others have disagreed with you too so good job getting into mid-season form in the first week of ST.

This is Moreland's first ST where he's not having to think about splitting time and can relax and concentrate more on his short swing getting off to a strong start.

Even if Moreland and Olt share time at 1b with Cruz potentially gone for 50 games ... and with 200ABs up for grabs ... that means Moreland, Olt, Martin, Gentry and perhaps even Garcia will see more playing time early.

I think we could see as many as three breakout seasons in 2013 -- Moreland, Martin and Olt are prime candidates.

Gonna be very exciting ... I can't wait.

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here is the logical strategy I have read everywhere. Platoon Gentry and Martin in CF.

Let's look at that closer. Gentry bats right so he'll play 25% and Martin 75% (roughly). I don't know about that seeing that Gentry is a better fielder, can steal more bases, better bunter, will get hit by more pitches and has playoff and WS experience just at face value.

Martin should be given a chance to play everyday in SP and if he tears it up I can see the logic, otherwise giving Martin on the job training in the regular season to have Gentry sit seems and may prove to be counter productive.

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Gentry and Martin will have a pretty strong platoon all year and both put up solid numbers in CF between them

Martin Might spend a little time on the corner if anything happens to Cruz, perhaps also splitting time with Olt

I think the 5th spot will be an intriguing battle between young guys; Perez, Ross, Grimm and maybe even Buckel

Just read something about Buckel on ESPN:

"Buckel notes that besides his fastball, curve, slider and changeup repertoire, he's added a shuuto, or a reverse slider. I'll let Buckel explain.

"It's like a left-handed version of a cutter," he said. "It has run. It's not hard enough to be a sinker and not slow enough to be a screwball. It's in between. It's a unique pitch."

And one that Buckel said he started throwing more midway through last year.

"It moves in to a right-handed hitter for me," Buckel said. "It stayed low in the zone. It was a big pitch for me. I could throw it 2-1, 1-1, 3-1, a good pitch to throw behind in the count. It would help me get back in the count.""

I've always liked Buckel, I'm glad we haven't traded him, I think he's going to be a good pitcher for us

Always liked Buckel too and even more after watching that video of him throwing. Hope he doesn't get traded.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the logical strategy I have read everywhere. Platoon Gentry and Martin in CF.

Let's look at that closer. Gentry bats right so he'll play 25% and Martin 75% (roughly). I don't know about that seeing that Gentry is a better fielder, can steal more bases, better bunter, will get hit by more pitches and has playoff and WS experience just at face value.

Martin should be given a chance to play everyday in SP and if he tears it up I can see the logic, otherwise giving Martin on the job training in the regular season to have Gentry sit seems and may prove to be counter productive.

I don't think it'll end up being a strict platoon, but I do think Gentry will sit vs tough RHPs (King Felix), but I also think Martin will see PT at the corners as well (regardless of Cruz's PED issues)

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Question answered by Wash:

But it's clear that this isn't a guaranteed platoon situation. If no one steps up and seizes the spot, it's certainly possible that center field would be Martin against most right-handed pitchers and Gentry against lefties. But the skipper said it's an open competition and nothing has been decided. Asked if Martin could win an everyday job this spring, Washington said, "We have to just let it play out."

"He will get opportunity to play," Washington said. "I think Leonys Martin and Gentry and Borbon will answer that question as we go through spring training."

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First "official" play of the Spring?

Error on Kinsler.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He threw it wide of the bag - pulling Moreland off.

Ogando had a 4 pitch walk to start, then a HBP, and a bunt for a hit - for his 1st 3 batters.
Was reported he was trying to work "coming inside" to the hitters.... take that for what its worth.

That said, apparently this leg kick of Cruz's is helping. 2nd game he's had a HR. (if you count intrasquad)

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He threw it wide of the bag - pulling Moreland off.

Ogando had a 4 pitch walk to start, then a HBP, and a bunt for a hit - for his 1st 3 batters.
Was reported he was trying to work "coming inside" to the hitters.... take that for what its worth.

That said, apparently this leg kick of Cruz's is helping. 2nd game he's had a HR. (if you count intrasquad)

Yeah, if ogando is working in stuff then that's ok. That's why I don't stress much about cactus league results. I don't like seeing Olt k in his first two at bats though.