• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Spring Training Thread

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All Cruz brings is some power, lots of K's, empty AB's and lousy defense

I'll trade some power for a more well rounded player

You may want to secretly wish that the more well rounded player has some MLB experience before hoping a Rangers player gets suspended for 50 games...which all by itself is one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure why everyone thinks the pen will be bad.....i think the pen will be very solid(without ross/ogando)....thats why i think ross should have been given 1/2 more starts this spring instead of taking him out of the running

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure why everyone thinks the pen will be bad.....i think the pen will be very solid(without ross/ogando)....thats why i think ross should have been given 1/2 more starts this spring instead of taking him out of the running

They must have seen that his secondary pitches weren't developing like they needed to and he was having trouble getting through lineups twice. I'll trust their judgement.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing as he's slated as our #3 right now what's the problem with that? He's an damn good #3 at that, and still has time to get better. Between him, Harrison, and Darvish we may end up with a top 3 that is among the best in all of baseball.

No doubt that this could be a breakout year for Holland. However in 569 innings at the major league level Holland has posted a 4.71 ERA and followed up a stellar half season by finishing at the top of the league in HR's allowed. A number of those coming on 0-2 counts. I understand how you feel about him, he's got a world of potential, but so far about all we've done is talk about it.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt that this could be a breakout year for Holland. However in 569 innings at the major league level Holland has posted a 4.71 ERA and followed up a stellar half season by finishing at the top of the league in HR's allowed. A number of those coming on 0-2 counts. I understand how you feel about him, he's got a world of potential, but so far about all we've done is talk about it.

I love the home run argument because Colby is a long ball machine yet he is considered a ranger hero and workhorse. Everybody can't wait for him to come back yet he gave up 35 home runs in 2011. 3 more home runs than holland have up last season as a matter of fact.

People who talk so badly about holland last season really don't take into account the difficulties he faced such as the virus and perhaps more importantly the 15 lbs he lost as a result. That's a ton of weight. I'd challenge you to lose 15 lbs due to illness and see how you feel. IMO he was rushed back as well out of necessity.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may want to secretly wish that the more well rounded player has some MLB experience before hoping a Rangers player gets suspended for 50 games...which all by itself is one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard.

Don't worry, you'll keep talking and take back the crown soon enough

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the home run argument because Colby is a long ball machine yet he is considered a ranger hero and workhorse. Everybody can't wait for him to come back yet he gave up 35 home runs in 2011. 3 more home runs than holland have up last season as a matter of fact.

People who talk so badly about holland last season really don't take into account the difficulties he faced such as the virus and perhaps more importantly the 15 lbs he lost as a result. That's a ton of weight. I'd challenge you to lose 15 lbs due to illness and see how you feel. IMO he was rushed back as well out of necessity.

Holland also walked more batters in less innings, but I don't have to hang my hat in this discussion on HR's. illness aside, Holland has been wildly inconsistent to date and that's all I was saying. If you didn't know he was sick he pretty much looked like he did at any other time in his career. Like it or not there are a lot of Rangers fans that are tired of talking about Hollands potential and would rather talk about results. As in a full season. Not sure where you get the notion that that is talking so badly about him.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as you have an Internet connection, I'm safe.

I'm sure my thoughts and comments are far more respected around here than yours,

But back to the Holland talk

Last year all of Holland's numbers last year improved EXCEPT HRs allowed, which of course negatively affected his ERA

The illness did affect him whether you think he "looked" the same or not, just look at the loss of velocity and which undoubtedly affected his command, hence the high number of HRs

I anticipate the breakout year I expected last year, as long as he stays healthy

Last edited by a moderator:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW did anyone see Andrus go deep to straightaway centerfield against the Reds, all I know is it wasn't a line drive and cleared the CF fence easily at 410 feet

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW did anyone see Andrus go deep to straightaway centerfield against the Reds, all I know is it wasn't a line drive and cleared the CF fence easily at 410 feet

Yeah, that was awesome. Hope to see more of that. His double was really well hit too.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i hope not, i think he's perfect for the utility role, plays ss and can play a decent of as well

That's why I'm wondering. If he's a perfect fit, why are they shopping for a UIF?

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess? So that he can get regular at-bats in AA/AAA and develop a bit more.

Sidenote: Vernon Wells about to become a Yankee.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess? So that he can get regular at-bats in AA/AAA and develop a bit more.

Sidenote: Vernon Wells about to become a Yankee.

Word is LAA will be eating almost all of that contract.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm sure my thoughts and comments are far more respected around here than yours,

But back to the Holland talk

Last year all of Holland's numbers last year improved EXCEPT HRs allowed, which of course negatively affected his ERA

The illness did affect him whether you think he "looked" the same or not, just look at the loss of velocity and which undoubtedly affected his command, hence the high number of HRs

I anticipate the breakout year I expected last year, as long as he stays healthy

Despite your differing perspectives I think all three of you guys ... JTA, Romeo and Al are all pretty good assessing the talent. For a long time I have enjoyed reading what you guys and others write because each view things differently and don't fall for the hype.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Despite your differing perspectives I think all three of you guys ... JTA, Romeo and Al are all pretty good assessing the talent. For a long time I have enjoyed reading what you guys and others write because each view things differently and don't fall for the hype.

Speaking of opinions. What has happened to the BBTiA website?

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Speaking of opinions. What has happened to the BBTiA website?

From what I gather apparently Joey is now working for an accounting firm and spending a good amount of his time doing tax work before April 15 deadline. No word I've read as to when he or others will have it back up with more posts beyond what Mike Hindman has written. Last activity from Joey was on 5 March when he posted the Phoenix Rising item.