• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NCAA FB Season / 2014 NFL draft

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Actually, having just learned more about the option, those later-round picks are more valuable than I realized. The top-10 players get the transition number (average of top-10 at the position). Guys outside the top-10 get a number that averages the players between 3 and 25 at the position.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Man, JJ Watt's option is for $6.696 million. Ugh. One spot is a $3 million difference. If I was picking 9th or 10th, I would STRONGLY consider trading back a few spots if I could.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah, I'd be looking for a 2015 3rd over a 2014 4th.

would Baalke trade our 30th for Cleveland's 2015 1st? no opinion yet, just wondering?

I would love this scenario. I'm sure the Raiders will be looking to jump up into the 1st also. A 2015 1st from them or Cleveland could be a top 15 pick.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Man, JJ Watt's option is for $6.696 million. Ugh. One spot is a $3 million difference. If I was picking 9th or 10th, I would STRONGLY consider trading back a few spots if I could.

Actually, I'm wrong about that. I was looking at the number for LBs. The transition tag for DEs is effectively $4 million more than Watt's 5th year option at $10.633 million. Same goes for the reigning defensive MVP.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love this scenario. I'm sure the Raiders will be looking to jump up into the 1st also. A 2015 1st from them or Cleveland could be a top 15 pick.

:agree: It might be a top ten pick. But if the Niners traded pick #30 to the Browns for next year's 1st, I would want another pick this year from them.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone with insider want to post the newest mocks from ESPN?

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
1Jadeveon ClowneyHouston Texans (2-14)COLLEGE: South CarolinaClass: JrHT: 6-5WT: 266POS: DE
Analysis (April 29): I still think this is the best and most logical pick for the Texans at No. 1. They obviously need a quarterback, but there isn't one rated highly enough to justify taking him over the best prospect in this draft. Clowney is the most talented defensive lineman I've ever evaluated, and you simply don't get many opportunities to take a player with his physical ability. Houston can either target a quarterback with the No. 33 pick or trade back into the first round to take one.

PLAYER CARD
2Greg RobinsonSt. Louis Rams (7-9)COLLEGE: AuburnHT: 6-5WT: 332POS: OT
Analysis (April 29): If Clowney goes No. 1, I think this pick will come down to Robinson and Clemson WR Sammy Watkins. The Rams still lack a legitimate No. 1 target, but they also need to better protect QB Sam Bradford, and Robinson is dominant at the point of attack and has very good athleticism for his size. One bit of buzz to throw out there: Don't rule out Johnny Manziel landing in St. Louis. It sounds insane, and I don't think the Rams would take him at No. 2 and he won't likely be there at No. 13, but if they were to move down or back from either spot, it would be a possibility. Some people around the league think the Rams are capable of taking him even if they still believe that Bradford can be the guy for them.

PLAYER CARD
3Sammy WatkinsJacksonville Jaguars (4-12)COLLEGE: ClemsonClass: JrHT: 6-0WT: 211POS: WR
Analysis (April 29): The Jaguars are another team that needs a quarterback, and it's certainly possible that they could go in that direction here. Khalil Mack also makes a lot of sense as a guy who could fill the "Leo" role in the Jags' defense. But Jacksonville has a need at receiver because of the uncertainty surrounding Justin Blackmon, and Watkins brings very good speed, acceleration, competitiveness and run-after-catch ability to the position.

PLAYER CARD
4Johnny ManzielCleveland Browns (4-12)COLLEGE: Texas A&MClass: SophHT: 5-11WT: 207POS: QB
Analysis (April 29): I'm not sold on this one, but I keep hearing that Manziel could go early, and Cleveland is a logical landing spot given its need at QB. He's a leap-of-faith pick, as I've said many times in the past few months; he has a rare ability to create, but the team that takes him must be confident that he'll do what he needs to on and off the field to win from the pocket and that he'll be able to stay healthy long term, given his playing style.

PLAYER CARD
5Khalil MackOakland Raiders (4-12)COLLEGE: BuffaloHT: 6-2WT: 251POS: OLB
Analysis (April 29): Wide receiver is a need for the Raiders, which is why Watkins would be a good option if he drops this far, and they also need to upgrade along the offensive line. In this scenario, however, Mack presents a really good value. He's one of the four elite prospects in this class and would bring excellent pass-rushing and versatility to the Raiders' defense. Oakland can look at a receiver or offensive tackle with the No. 36 pick.

PLAYER CARD
6Jake MatthewsAtlanta Falcons (4-12)COLLEGE: Texas A&MHT: 6-5WT: 308POS: OT
Analysis (April 29): The Falcons need to improve at the tackle position, coming off a season in which franchise QB Matt Ryan was sacked a career-high 44 times (previous high: 28). Matthews would provide help as an experienced and effective blocker in the running and passing games. His versatility to play either tackle spot adds to his value because it would give Atlanta the option of keeping Sam Baker on the left side or moving him over to the right.

PLAYER CARD
7Mike EvansTampa Bay Buccaneers (4-12)COLLEGE: Texas A&MClass: SophHT: 6-4WT: 231POS: WR
Analysis (April 29): The Bucs have a big need at receiver opposite Vincent Jackson, and Evans is the second-best wideout in this class. He is very competitive as a blocker and runner after the catch and brings down a high percentage of 50-50 balls because of his size, huge catching radius and big, strong hands. One trend to watch: New GM Jason Licht used seven of his eight picks in the first four rounds of his two drafts with Arizona on prospects from the Southeast and Southwest regions.

PLAYER CARD
8Blake BortlesMinnesota Vikings (5-10-1)COLLEGE: UCFClass: JrHT: 6-5WT: 232POS: QB
Analysis (April 29): The Vikings need a long-term answer at quarterback, but the presence of Matt Cassel (who did not play terribly last season) would allow for Bortles to sit for at least part of his rookie season, which is an ideal situation for him. He has prototypical size and good mobility, and I think that issues with his mechanics are fixable. I also wouldn't be surprised if GM Rick Spielman trades again. He made a shrewd deal in 2012 to move down and add picks while still getting Matt Kalil and then traded back into the first round to get Harrison Smith. He was active again in last year's first round.

PLAYER CARD
9Taylor LewanBuffalo Bills (6-10)COLLEGE: MichiganHT: 6-7WT: 309POS: OT
Analysis (April 29): I've heard from three league sources in the past week that the Bills are trying to trade up. If they do make a move, it'll likely be to land Clowney, Robinson or Watkins. But if they're stuck at No. 9 in this scenario, I think it'd come down to Lewan and TE Eric Ebron, and their need to protect second-year QB EJ Manuel would be the overriding factor. (The Bills allowed 48 sacks in 2013, tied for fourth-most in the NFL.) I don't love the fit because both Lewan and Cordy Glenn are left tackles, but if the Bills made this pick, they'd have to be comfortable with moving one to right tackle.

PLAYER CARD
10Darqueze DennardDetroit Lions (7-9)COLLEGE: Michigan StateClass: SrHT: 5-10WT: 199POS: CB
Analysis (May 5): I had North Carolina TE Eric Ebron going here in version 5.0, and he would definitely provide the Lions with another weapon in the passing game. But their biggest need is at cornerback, and Dennard is our top-ranked corner in this class. The Lions haven't taken a defensive back in the last 15 drafts, but Dennard is a solid value at this point in the draft. He has outstanding instincts and is willing in run support.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
11Justin GilbertTennessee Titans (7-9)COLLEGE: Oklahoma StateClass: SrHT: 6-0WT: 202POS: CB
Analysis (May 5): I don't feel as though the Titans absolutely have to draft a cornerback here, as this is an underrated roster that is only a good QB away from being a really good team. But given the other available options in this scenario, Gilbert makes sense. He isn't very physical but has an excellent combination of size and speed to go with very good ball skills and playmaking ability, and Tennessee has a need at corner.

PLAYER CARD
12Aaron DonaldNew York Giants (7-9)COLLEGE: PittsburghHT: 6-0WT: 285POS: DT
Analysis (May 5): We've been pegging Donald for the Bears at No. 14 for a while now, but he might not last that long. He is in play for both the Bucs at No. 7 overall and Vikings at No. 8, and the Giants are another logical fit here. They need help at the defensive tackle position, and Donald is the best one in the 2014 class. He has elite snap anticipation and first-step quickness, and great finishing ability. LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr. is still a possibility, but Donald could be too tempting to pass up.

PLAYER CARD
13Odell Beckham Jr.St. Louis Rams (7-9)COLLEGE: LSUClass: JrHT: 5-11WT: 198POS: WR
Analysis (May 5): The Rams got their offensive tackle with the No. 2 overall pick in this scenario in Auburn's Greg Robinson, and here they'll get their receiver. St. Louis is still lacking a legitimate No. 1 target, and Beckham is a big-play threat as both a vertical route runner and after the catch with his elite top-end speed and instincts in the open field.

PLAYER CARD
14Ha Ha Clinton-DixChicago Bears (8-8)COLLEGE: AlabamaClass: JrHT: 6-1WT: 208POS: S
Analysis (May 5): The Bears really struggled on defense last season, and while they've made some free-agent signings on that side of the ball, safety remains a big need. Clinton-Dix is a playmaker from the free safety spot with very good instincts, range and ball skills.

PLAYER CARD
15Kyle FullerPittsburgh Steelers (8-8)COLLEGE: Virginia TechClass: SrHT: 5-11WT: 190POS: CB
Analysis (April 29): I don't think the Steelers have to go with a cornerback here, but it's definitely a need position. The three players it came down to for me were Fuller, Justin Gilbert and C.J. Mosley. Mosley could be a fit, but I think the durability concerns will probably lead to his falling a little. I'm sure the Steelers would love to have Gilbert's playmaking ability, but they've always gone for more physical corners like Fuller over guys like Gilbert who don't get up and press and are poor tacklers. If they can find a way to trade back and add picks, that'd be a good move; they could get similar value to Fuller six or so spots down the board.

PLAYER CARD
16Zack MartinDallas Cowboys (8-8)COLLEGE: Notre DameHT: 6-4WT: 308POS: OT
Analysis (May 5): This doesn't fill a pressing need for Dallas, but there aren't any defensive ends or defensive tackles who make sense here, and this would be a smart move to solidify the offensive line and get one of the 12 best players in this draft at No. 16. There have been a lot of rumors about the possibility of the Cowboys trading up to draft Johnny Manziel, and to be honest, nothing would surprise us with them at this point. But rather than giving away a bunch of picks in a loaded draft, they'd be better served staying put and trying to bolster a depleted roster, particularly on defense.

PLAYER CARD
17Eric EbronBaltimore Ravens (8-8)COLLEGE: North CarolinaClass: JrHT: 6-4WT: 250POS: TE
Analysis (May 5): I've had Ebron going as high as the top 10 previously, but I think he makes more sense down here at No. 17 for the Ravens. They need another pass-catching weapon for QB Joe Flacco, and Ebron is a big-play threat who can stretch the seam and also make plays after the catch. He has the versatility to line up in-line, in the slot or split out wide.

PLAYER CARD
18Brandin CooksNew York Jets (8-8)COLLEGE: Oregon StateClass: JrHT: 5-9WT: 189POS: WR
Analysis (April 29): Receiver, corner and tight end are the three biggest need areas for the Jets, and I think if they can get Cooks at No. 18, they have to do it. They added Eric Decker from the Broncos in free agency but still need playmakers who can stretch the field vertically, and Cooks provides that (fastest 40-yard dash time among wide receivers at the combine at 4.33). In addition to his speed, Cooks has very good route-running and run-after-catch ability.

PLAYER CARD
19Morgan MosesMiami Dolphins (8-8)COLLEGE: VirginiaHT: 6-6WT: 314POS: OT
Analysis (April 29): The Dolphins should look for an opportunity to move up to get Zack Martin (the Steelers would be a good potential trade partner at No. 15), but if they stay here, I think Moses would make sense. I don't know that everyone is as high on Moses as I am, but it's hard to have a more glaring need at a position group than the Dolphins have at offensive line. They added some pieces in free agency, including Branden Albert, but they still have improving to do after 2013's franchise-high 58-sack campaign. Moses performed better at left tackle at Virginia than he did at right tackle, so that could make for an interesting situation with Albert slotted for the left side.

PLAYER CARD
20Ryan ShazierArizona Cardinals (10-6)COLLEGE: Ohio StateHT: 6-1WT: 237POS: OLB
Analysis (May 5): As we explained in version 5.0, linebacker is something of a need position for the Cardinals. Karlos Dansby departed in free agency, and his presumed replacement, Kevin Minter, played just one snap as a rookie last season. And Daryl Washington is facing a possible league punishment for an off-the-field incident. Shazier doesn't possess ideal size for the position but does have very good speed and sideline-to-sideline range against the run.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
21C.J. MosleyGreen Bay Packers (8-7-1)COLLEGE: AlabamaClass: SrHT: 6-2WT: 234POS: ILB
Analysis (May 5): Green Bay has spent its past eight first-round picks on offensive line or defensive front-seven players, so Mosley would keep the streak going. His long-term durability is a bit of a question mark because he was banged up at Alabama, but he is a relentless and very productive playmaker. He'd be a nice addition to the Packers defense and a good value at this point in the draft.

PLAYER CARD
22Calvin PryorPhiladelphia Eagles (10-6)COLLEGE: LouisvilleClass: JrHT: 5-11WT: 207POS: S
Analysis (May 5): Wide receiver and cornerback are two other possibilities here, but Pryor also would fill a need at strong safety next to free-agent pickup Malcolm Jenkins, and he's a good value at this point in the draft. Pryor is an intimidating presence in the middle of the field with his willingness to deliver the big hit, and he also is capable of holding up in deep-half zone and deep-third coverage. He's a tone-setter.

PLAYER CARD
23Marqise LeeKansas City Chiefs (11-5)COLLEGE: USCClass: JrHT: 5-11WT: 192POS: WR
Analysis (April 29): The Chiefs could look to trade back here to get back the second-rounder they used to acquire Alex Smith last year. But if they stay here, a wide receiver makes sense given that it is one of the biggest needs on the roster. Lee doesn't have the timed speed of some of the other receivers in this class, and he had some issues with drops in 2013, but he has excellent fluidity as a route-runner and is faster on the field than his 40 time would indicate.

PLAYER CARD
24Jason VerrettCincinnati Bengals (11-5)COLLEGE: TCUClass: SrHT: 5-9WT: 189POS: CB
Analysis (April 29): The Bengals need to get younger at the cornerback position, and this is a good spot for Verrett to come off the board. He's undersized for the position but plays big enough to make up for it, and he can really stick to people in man-to-man coverage because of his excellent change-of-direction ability and elite top-end speed. Cincinnati's other needs are at defensive end and along the offensive line.

PLAYER CARD
25Anthony BarrSan Diego Chargers (9-7)COLLEGE: UCLAClass: SrHT: 6-4WT: 255POS: OLB
Analysis (April 29): This could be a good time for the Chargers to bring in a developing pass-rusher like Barr, with Dwight Freeney getting up in years, Melvin Ingram returning from a torn ACL and Jarret Johnson's cap number for 2015 being $7.5 million. There's more finesse to Barr's game at this point in his career than I'd like to see, and he isn't a great finisher on tape, but he has upside as an edge-rusher because of his elite top-end speed for the position.

PLAYER CARD
26Cody LatimerCleveland Browns (4-12)COLLEGE: IndianaClass: JrHT: 6-2WT: 215POS: WR
Analysis (April 29): The Browns got their QB at No. 4 in Manziel, and now they'll add a weapon for him to throw to opposite Josh Gordon. I was really impressed with Latimer's tape when I finally got the chance to study him recently, and he's a really good fit for an offense like Cleveland's that figures to incorporate some West Coast principles under new offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan. He has good size, instincts, run-after-catch ability and toughness.

PLAYER CARD
27Dee FordNew Orleans Saints (11-5)COLLEGE: AuburnHT: 6-2WT: 244POS: DE
Analysis (May 5): I slotted Ohio State cornerback Bradley Roby here in version 5.0, but I think there's a chance his off-field concerns could cause the Saints to look in another direction. New Orleans would love to add a speed rusher like Ford who could have an impact coming off the edge, taking advantage of the crowd noise and turf at the Superdome.

PLAYER CARD
28Joel BitonioCarolina Panthers (12-4)COLLEGE: NevadaHT: 6-4WT: 302POS: OT
Analysis (April 29): Two of the Panthers' glaring needs are at wide receiver and offensive tackle, and Bitonio has the potential to develop into Jordan Gross' replacement at left tackle. He doesn't have ideal length but possesses quick feet and good balance. Moreover, he's a tone-setting finisher who gives excellent effort. He's ideally suited for a zone-blocking scheme like Carolina's.

PLAYER CARD
29Stephon TuittNew England Patriots (12-4)COLLEGE: Notre DameHT: 6-5WT: 304POS: DE
Analysis (May 5): The Patriots could use some help along the defensive line, and Tuitt brings good versatility to the table. He is a top-15 player in this class based purely on talent, but there are some concerns with his motor and consistency. At this point in the first round, however, he's worth the risk.

PLAYER CARD
30Ra'Shede HagemanSan Francisco 49ers (12-4)COLLEGE: MinnesotaHT: 6-5WT: 310POS: DT
Analysis (May 5): A wide receiver is certainly a possibility here, but I don't know that there's an available speed receiver who makes sense. Cornerback is another option, but Bradley Roby is the highest-rated CB available and I'm not sure the Niners would want to bring him in the fold right now, given his recent off-field issues. If they like Hageman, he is a good value pick at this point in the first round, as he possesses an elite size-speed combo and could contribute in a rotation. The Niners are also a candidate to trade back or up from this slot. If a team such as the Texans or Jaguars wants to trade back into the first round to get their QB (in part so they can have a fifth-year option on one, in the event that their pick pans out, which is afforded to teams for first-round picks but not second-rounders), this could be a good pick to target.

PLAYER CARD
31Xavier Su'a-FiloDenver Broncos (13-3)COLLEGE: UCLAClass: JrHT: 6-4WT: 307POS: OG
Analysis (May 5):Guard is a need area for the Broncos, and most important, they need a player who can come in right away and have an impact his rookie season, as they are in win-now mode with the 38-year-old Peyton Manning at quarterback. Su'a-Filo shows good fight at the point of attack and good initial quickness.

PLAYER CARD
32Kony EalySeattle Seahawks (13-3)COLLEGE: MissouriHT: 6-4WT: 273POS: DE
Analysis (May 5): I had Stephon Tuitt going here in version 5.0, but in this scenario he's already off the board. Ealy is another potential option along the defensive line, as his versatility and pass-rushing ability would be welcomed in Seattle's defense. The Seahawks also could go with a receiver here, possibly Fresno State's Davante Adams or Vanderbilt's Jordan Matthews.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for posting. I don't like it...

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ian Rapoport:

2 teams pondering trading up for a WR: #49ers & #Jets. Beckham, Cooks, Lee possible targets. For SF, move into teens more likely than Top 5.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ian Rapoport:

2 teams pondering trading up for a WR: #49ers & #Jets. Beckham, Cooks, Lee possible targets. For SF, move into teens more likely than Top 5.

This has been my feeling all along, I don't really buy trading into the top 10 nor do I buy us going hard after Evans. Of course we will see when the draft comes.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ian Rapoport:

Smoke-screen... :nod:

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smoke-screen... :nod:

For???? I don't think, giving every indication (logically) that you will trade up and illogically staying at 30 is a good smoke screen. I certainly see them trading up, Baalke lives to move up to get his guys. Unless of course you think he's targeting a move up for CB's which I don't necessarily agree with.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Zach Mettenberger - QB - Tigers

CSNBayarea.com's Matt Maiocco reports that the 49ers could consider LSU QB Zach Mettenberger if he's available on the third day of the draft.

"If big-armed Zack Mettenberger (LSU) is around on the third day of the draft, he is a legitimate option for the 49ers as he rehabs from ACL surgery he underwent on January 2," Maiocco wrote. Jim Harbaugh will definitely try to bring in a fourth quarterback for training camp to compete for a roster spot. If the 6-foot-5, 225-pound Mettenberger slides in the draft, look for him to be on the 49ers radar.
Source: CSNBayarea.com

May 5 - 6:31 PM