• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NCAA FB Season / 2014 NFL draft

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seantrel Henderson - T - Hurricanes

An anonymous NFL scout said, on a pure talent basis, Miami T Seantrel Henderson compares to Auburn's Greg Robinson.

"He has the talent to be right there behind the Auburn kid (Greg Robinson)," said the scout. "He's amazingly athletic." That's the good news. Here's the bad: "He's got a big, beautiful body but he didn't play with a sense of urgency," another scout said. "He quit on the (pro day) workout. I thought he was a lazy butt down there at the Senior Bowl. I'm not much for taking them dogs myself." The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported that Henderson admitted to scouts that his multiple suspensions were due to marijuana use, leading a third scout to say this: "Off the board. Dope, dope and more dope. He needs help."
Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

May 3 - 7:26 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cyrus Kouandjio - T - Crimson Tide

Alabama OT Cyrus Kouandjio's surgically-repaired knee is drawing mixed reviews from NFL medical staffs, reports ESPN's Todd McShay.

Out of 10 organizations he asked, four told McShay that they flunked Kouandjio or depressed his grade based on health concerns. Perhaps the prospect, who suffers from an arthritic knee, will take solace in having been cleared by more than half. Kouandjio could go as high as the late teens in Round 1, or as low as the mid second-round. McShay assigned Kouandjio an early second-round grade.
Source: AL.com

May 3 - 6:59 PM

Cyrus Kouandjio - T - Crimson Tide

An NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that Alabama OT Cyrus Kouandjio should move to guard.

"Boy, after the way he ran [at the combine], (expletive), I'd be scared of him," said the scout. "That was terrible. Wait 'til he starts matching up here. I don't think it's going to work. If anything, I think he's got to go to guard." In an understated way, Kouandjio has been one of the more polarizing prospects in this class, and that was represented in this story. Another scout loved the Crimson Tide prospect: "Extremely long arms (355/8) and an outstanding pass protector. Still learning the run game and getting good leverage. That's going to come. You're talking about a left tackle for a long, long time." A third split the difference: "Some teams will say they're not worried about [his knees], he can give us four or five years. He does have ability. For whatever reason he just did not play to that ability this season. Very inconsistent this year. Probably needed another year."
Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

May 3 - 7:13 PM

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We're always seem to be targeting the wrong TE:

C.J. Fiedorowicz - TE - Hawkeyes

Iowa TE C.J. Fiedorowicz says he took pre-draft visits with Denver, Detroit, San Francisco, Atlanta, New England, the New York Jets and Tampa Bay.

After the top-tier group of TE prospects -- Eric Ebron, Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Jace Amaro and Troy Niklas -- most rank Fiedorowicz No. 5. The Hawkeyes' regrettable QB play and conservative offensive scheme (those issues were related) over the past few years conspired to keep Fiedorowicz under the radar, but the NFL never forgot about him. The 6-foot-5, 265-pounder has a spectacular frame, soft hands, surprising straight line speed and is one of the class' best inline TE blockers, to boot. He should hear his name called on Day 2.
Source: Alex Marvez on Twitter

May 3 - 8:35 PM

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
We're always seem to be targeting the wrong TE:

Just curious, but who do you prefer? I have trouble keeping everyone's favorites straight.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just curious, but who do you prefer? I have trouble keeping everyone's favorites straight.

The TEs that I really want will be out of our reach. I really hate the fact that we reached for Vance last year. So it kind of force our hands to go with him again this year as our #2 behind Davis. I don't want us to draft a TE this year no earlier than the 5th round. Why target a TE in the third or fourth round, only to bring him in to compete with Celek for the #3 spot!?

I just want an undersized pass catching TE to create mismatches in the passing game. A 7th round selection on someone like Trey Burton.

As an UDFA I would also strongly consider Colt Lyerla to compete with Vance.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Justin Gilbert - DB - Player

According to NFL Network's Mike Mayock, most NFL scouts have Justin Gilbert and Bradley Roby rated as the top corners in the 2014 draft.

"What's interesting about the corners is that most of the personnel guys have Roby and Gilbert as their highest rated because they have better movement skills," Mayock said. "Coaches like Kyle Fuller and Darqueze Dennard because they're better football players today." Mayock believes Roby has a chance to be the second corner off the board despite his recent legal troubles. Gilbert is a potential top-15 pick.
Source: Baltimore Sun

May 3 - 9:50 PM

Hopes are coming crashing back down to earth. :drink:

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why isn't Ryan Shazier considered a top 10 pick? The dude could be the next Derrick Brooks. If I had a choice between the overrated Khalil Mack & Shazier I'd take the latter.

I'd take Barr over either

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'd take Barr over either

You could be spot on about that. Barr is an enigma to me. He's one of the most difficult pass rushers to evaluate that I've seen in a long time. I see a lot of Dion Jordan in him (whom I did not like), but he has some very tempting abilities. I didn't devote a ton of time evaluating him because I thought it was so unlikely the Niners would draft him. Guess I've got 'til Thursday to finalize my prediction about him.

And I agree Brooks was a better prospect than Shazier, but I think Shazier could be one of those guys who is consistently dominant like Brooks was for a decade. Seems like a great fit as a Tampa 2 kind of OLB.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I will be very disappointed if the Niners use a pick at 30 or higher and neither Cooks, Gilbert, Roby, Nix, Matthews, Verrett nor Tuitt don the red & gold this season. Since trading up for Clowney is not going to happen, those are the only 7 1st-ronud names that are acceptable to me.

I would be particularly happy with Nix, Roby or Cooks (as Cooks is the best receiver in the draft IMO).

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I will be very disappointed if the Niners use a pick at 30 or higher and neither Cooks, Gilbert, Roby, Nix, Matthews, Verrett nor Tuitt don the red & gold this season. Since trading up for Clowney is not going to happen, those are the only 7 1st-ronud names that are acceptable to me.

I would be particularly happy with Nix, Roby or Cooks (as Cooks is the best receiver in the draft IMO).

Well... You could start a rumor on twitter saying you used to sell Clowney 8-balls of meth that he would slam before each game...

Still enough time for his stock to slip enough for a team to grab him in the teens...

:yahoo:

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What a TERRIBLE draft. Darth Maul #3??? That's a huge overpick. And how the hell does Lando Calrissian fall to the 20's?

I feel bad saying this but...Chewbacca #1? Can't see it. Yeah, he's got size, but I don't think he's tough enough. I think I'd have to go with Vader. Put him at rush linebacker, he doesn't even have to move and he can snap the QB's neck in two. Though that might draw an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Hmm...

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What a TERRIBLE draft. Darth Maul #3??? That's a huge overpick. And how the hell does Lando Calrissian fall to the 20's?

I feel bad saying this but...Chewbacca #1? Can't see it. Yeah, he's got size, but I don't think he's tough enough. I think I'd have to go with Vader. Put him at rush linebacker, he doesn't even have to move and he can snap the QB's neck in two. Though that might draw an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Hmm...

There were, admittedly, some dubious choices.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Draft Notes - Adam Schefter of ESPN reports Miami-Florida OT Seantrel Henderson tested positive for marijuana at the NFL Combine... 7:17 a.m. ET - Peter King of SI.com reports Rams GM Les Snead recently went to Texas Tech and met at length with coach Kliff Kingsbury, Manziel’s offensive coordinator and QB's coach at A&M in 2012, and came away thinking Manziel could adjust to life well as an NFL passer...King also noted Browns GM Ray Farmer has asked at least one team low in the first round about trading back into the first round from Cleveland’s second-round slot...King also noted Mike Mayock thinks Nebraska CB Stanley John-Baptiste slips into the first round of the draft...And last but not least, King mentioned the buzz about a trade-down or Khalil Mack to Houston instead of Jadeveon Clowney rumors just won’t die.

:suds:

11:31 a.m. ET - Here are some of the things that I was told by a good NFL source, or have heard during the pre-draft process:

- There will be nine to ten quarterbacks taken within the first three rounds of the draft.

- Pitt QB Tom Savage will still be available on the board when the third round begins.

- One team has concerns on how much football really means to Indiana WR Cody Latimer.

- There will be no more than 3 OT's taken within the first 10 picks in the draft.

- North Carolina TE Eric Ebron is a lock to be taken within the first 10 picks in the draft.

- There will be a record amount of trades that take place in the first round of the draft.

- There will be a lot of trade action in the bottom part of the draft from teams wanting to jump back into the first round for a quarterback.

- Al Fronczak

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Draft Notes - Adam Schefter of ESPN reports Miami-Florida OT Seantrel Henderson tested positive for marijuana at the NFL Combine... 7:17 a.m. ET - Peter King of SI.com reports Rams GM Les Snead recently went to Texas Tech and met at length with coach Kliff Kingsbury, Manziel’s offensive coordinator and QB's coach at A&M in 2012, and came away thinking Manziel could adjust to life well as an NFL passer...King also noted Browns GM Ray Farmer has asked at least one team low in the first round about trading back into the first round from Cleveland’s second-round slot...King also noted Mike Mayock thinks Nebraska CB Stanley John-Baptiste slips into the first round of the draft...And last but not least, King mentioned the buzz about a trade-down or Khalil Mack to Houston instead of Jadeveon Clowney rumors just won’t die.

11:31 a.m. ET - Here are some of the things that I was told by a good NFL source, or have heard during the pre-draft process:

- There will be nine to ten quarterbacks taken within the first three rounds of the draft.

- Pitt QB Tom Savage will still be available on the board when the third round begins.

- One team has concerns on how much football really means to Indiana WR Cody Latimer.

- There will be no more than 3 OT's taken within the first 10 picks in the draft.

- North Carolina TE Eric Ebron is a lock to be taken within the first 10 picks in the draft.

- There will be a record amount of trades that take place in the first round of the draft.

- There will be a lot of trade action in the bottom part of the draft from teams wanting to jump back into the first round for a quarterback.

- Al Fronczak

originally wasn't for a trade down from 30th, but now ok if the move is 'small'? the teams that need a QB are the ones with high picks, so maybe a small trade down to HIGH 2nd.

we should next seek a trade up to improve #56.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

- Al Fronczak

Browns angling for three first-round picks? Wouldn't be a bad move for them, and they might make a good trade partner if we don't move up. That said, trades at the end of the first have tended to hold their value based on the old trade chart (in '13, NE traded 29 to Minnesota, 640 points for 648; and in '12, Denver traded 31 to TB, 646 points for 636). In this case, that would basically be the Browns' 35th overall pick and a 4th for our 30th. There is a pretty significant lost opportunity cost in trading out of the first round (no fifth-year option). I don't know that a 4th is enough value to move out of the first round. That said, the fifth-year option really only matters for a very good player, and the odds of hitting on one of those late in the first round are relatively slim.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Browns angling for three first-round picks? Wouldn't be a bad move for them, and they might make a good trade partner if we don't move up. That said, trades at the end of the first have tended to hold their value based on the old trade chart (in '13, NE traded 29 to Minnesota, 640 points for 648; and in '12, Denver traded 31 to TB, 646 points for 636). In this case, that would basically be the Browns' 35th overall pick and a 4th for our 30th. There is a pretty significant lost opportunity cost in trading out of the first round (no fifth-year option). I don't know that a 4th is enough value to move out of the first round. That said, the fifth-year option really only matters for a very good player, and the odds of hitting on one of those late in the first round are relatively slim.

yeah, I'd be looking for a 2015 3rd over a 2014 4th.

would Baalke trade our 30th for Cleveland's 2015 1st? no opinion yet, just wondering?

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Tell Cleveland all talks start with Gordon in red and gold.