• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NCAA FB Season / 2014 NFL draft

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So 49ers picks are:

30. San Francisco 49ers

Kiper's pick: Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA

Analysis: Barr has dropped a little on my board, but you can't ignore 23.5 sacks and 41.5 tackles for loss in two years from a guy still learning on defense. Not when you need insurance for Aldon Smith.

56. San Francisco 49ers (from KC)

Kiper's pick: Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood

Analysis: I'm looking at wide receiver here, but the value isn't great, and with Carlos Rogers now in Oakland, depth at CB is something I'll have to address. Desir has length without sacrificing fluidity, and he can become a good player.

61. San Francisco 49ers

McShay's pick: Daquan Jones, DT, Penn State

Analysis: Jones would provide good depth to a defensive line that dealt with injuries last season and could use an infusion of youth (Justin Smith will be 35 in September).

77. San Francisco 49ers (from TEN)

McShay's pick: Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado

Analysis: We still haven't addressed the Niners' need at wide receiver, so I'll go with Richardson here. He has a thin frame and lacks ideal strength, but he has an excellent combination of fluidity, quickness and speed.

94. San Francisco 49ers

Kiper's pick: John Brown, WR, Pittsburgh State

Analysis: With 4.34 speed, Brown provides a developmental deep threat in the passing game and can step in as a returner early.

100. San Francisco 49ers (comp)

Kiper's pick: Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida

Analysis: The Niners already added Desir, but Roberson could be quicker to contribute coming from the SEC, where he was really good as a sophomore.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Louis Nix at 53 and Roby at 35???

I probably would slip on my own drool. :drool:

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I highly doubt we go OLB in the first round.. and I would not be terribly happy with Richardson as our WR pickup from this draft. I would think that could qualify as an absolutely terrible draft. Getting Jones in the second and Desir there as well?

I would vomit with rage

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I highly doubt we go OLB in the first round.. and I would not be terribly happy with Richardson as our WR pickup from this draft. I would think that could qualify as an absolutely terrible draft. Getting Jones in the second and Desir there as well?

I would vomit with rage

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to really like CB Rashaad Reynolds as a round 3 guy depending on what happens earlier in the draft. He's solid in every tested category and possesses good intangibles. Quite good in run support too.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would vomit with rage

Agreed, absolutely wretched draft. Pick Barr and pass up Roby? Jones in the 2nd (at least a round too early)? Richardson is a HORRIBLE choice. I can't even bring myself to comment on the others.

McShay and Kiper may or may not have talent as evaluators, but if this is what would result if they ever had the chance to run a draft...ack!

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to really like CB Rashaad Reynolds as a round 3 guy depending on what happens earlier in the draft. He's solid in every tested category and possesses good intangibles. Quite good in run support too.

Agreed. Once you get beyond the upper-tier guys (Gilbert, Dennard, Fuller, Roby, and I guess Verrett though I'm not sure how he'll ever be anything more than a nickel guy), Reynolds and Breeland are at or near the top of the list of guys I'd be looking at if the Niners want to pick a CB in the 2nd or 3rd. Hopefully their first pick will be a CB, but I think we need to come out of this draft with 2 CB's in the first 4 or 5 rounds. Relying on Brock and Culliver (and the mix of mediocrities we currently have on the roster behind them) would be a mistake, IMHO. So even if we come away with a Fuller or a Roby early, I wouldn't be opposed to pulling the trigger again in the 3rd or 4th.

michaelwarner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Kiper/McShay draft was horrible. 9 WRs in the first including Ellington. I understand Barr's value at 30. However, I'd suspect we'd go Roby there or trade back and get Roby.

Also, my main point of contention with the ESPN mockers, (and some others of reknown) is that they hold on to what our scheme is or recent draft history-The 49ers love drafting Dlineman,They need a pass rusher because of Aldon's troubles, etc.- and don't look at the actual roster. Dline is arguably our deepest position and Lemonier has shown great promise. They keep mocking us with DLine and Pass Rushers early. I guess it's possible that we go BPA at one of those positions but CB and WR are our biggest needs for an impact player. This mock was ridiculous IMO.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Once you get beyond the upper-tier guys (Gilbert, Dennard, Fuller, Roby, and I guess Verrett though I'm not sure how he'll ever be anything more than a nickel guy), Reynolds and Breeland are at or near the top of the list of guys I'd be looking at if the Niners want to pick a CB in the 2nd or 3rd. Hopefully their first pick will be a CB, but I think we need to come out of this draft with 2 CB's in the first 4 or 5 rounds. Relying on Brock and Culliver (and the mix of mediocrities we currently have on the roster behind them) would be a mistake, IMHO. So even if we come away with a Fuller or a Roby early, I wouldn't be opposed to pulling the trigger again in the 3rd or 4th.

I agree about needing 2 CB's out of this draft. Ideally, we get a starter quality CB along with a guy that excels at covering the slot. I'm not even opposed to drafting three CB's if one is Colvin and he's redshirted on the IR for a season.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I would vomit with rage

I don't disagree in general, but Barr would be very good value there. And there's a decent chance if we stay put that there will be a real run on WRs and CBs before our pick. Barr is probably a guy we would project to take over for Brooks more than for Aldon, and that is something we need to start thinking about. One OLB is older and fairly pricey, the other has serious off-field issues. I like both Lemonier and Skuta, but I think we could use a little new blood in the mix. I'd much rather take Barr than reach for a guy at another position.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I would hope that Lemonier would be able to take over for Brooks after this season coming up. And we can use the money saved from brooks to extend Aldon and his 'prollems

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

NFLDraftScout still has Bennie Fowler projected as a 7th round pick. While I read he ran a 4.39 at his pro day, NFLDraftScout has him listed running a 4.35 (Ran a 4.49 at the combine). The guy is 6'1 217lbs. He's not someone who's going to bring it down in traffic for you, but he's not going to be taken down by a smaller corner. He reminds me a lot of Arrelious Benn

Last edited by a moderator:

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about needing 2 CB's out of this draft. Ideally, we get a starter quality CB along with a guy that excels at covering the slot. I'm not even opposed to drafting three CB's if one is Colvin and he's redshirted on the IR for a season.

I wouldn't mind Roby with the 30th pick, then a wideout in the 2nd round and maybe Desir with the 71st pick in the 3rd round. Maybe Colvin might be available in the 4th round.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I wanna move up for Fuller and get Colvin in the 4th or with our 3rd comp pick