• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013-2014 Offseason Speculation

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Stalock and Demers would be the best bets I think. Galiardi I think is going to take a bit longer given the role he played down the stretch. I don't see Hannan being re-signed and I doubt Gomez returns to play 4th line center.

I'd rather see Hannan then Tennyson

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I certainly expect galiardi and demers next. I dont think galiardi will be all that complicated. He was better down the stretch, but I dont see him looking for 1.5 or 2M type dollars. More like 1 to 1.25. Even playing with Jumbo he contributed just 1 goal and 2 points total in the PO's and thats with nearly 17 mins of ice/game. During the regular season, he didnt exactly light it up either. He got 950k last year, so hes in line for a 2 year, 2.5M type deal if I had to guess (thats a 15% annual raise). I dont think dougie is gunna wanna go much longer than that or much higher in dollars and I dont see TJ holding out given his production the last several years. I dont see any big offer sheets flying his way.

I guess Stalock doesnt have much choice but to resign here and I suppose if the sharks give him the full time back up role, he'll gladly take it. However, because he isnt about to walk anywhere (nobody is gunna sign him elsewhere), I dont think dougie needs to rush on this one.

Gomer is good as gone. Hannan is an interesting one, as he could come back at 1 yr, 1M or so. It wouldnt be a terrible signing for depth. I actually was impressed with his play in the PO's so as a #6 or 7 Dman, he adds a veteran presence that can play a reasonable number of reliable minutes. I dont think it matters that much...

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd rather see Hannan then Tennyson

I wouldn't. I was beyond impressed with his puck moving abilities and poise in the offensive zone. Give him regular shifts in he NHL to give him some confidence and you see a serious improvement in his defensive game.

Desi's contract is two years $1.5m and Shep's is one year $830k.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wouldn't. I was beyond impressed with his puck moving abilities and poise in the offensive zone. Give him regular shifts in he NHL to give him some confidence and you see a serious improvement in his defensive game.

Desi's contract is two years $1.5m and Shep's is one year $830k.

I think logging big minutes in the AHL would probably be better then call him up like they did with Irwin.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And Letang wants to go to Toronto if he cant sign long term with Pens

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think logging big minutes in the AHL would probably be better then call him up like they did with Irwin.

Tennyson's gotten about all he can get out of the A. Being a #1 in the A wouldn't be a bad thing but he's better off logging 15-18 min playing third pairing in the NHL.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lecaviller bought out, sharks won't sign him but it would be cool if they did

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Demers re-signed a one year deal.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If they deem Havnot out all year, could they do this? I would love it. :agree:

I wish but sadly he's going to one of 4 places Montreal, the isles,Columbus, or Detroit never count out Detroit lol. Maybe Nashville

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So that just leaves poor TJ galliardi, I wonder if he gets a multi year deal like no more then 2 lol at the same price

Do we need TJ? Not to continue on the Jumbo line? There must be a better option out there. :wtf2:

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any dollar figure on Demers?

"The financial terms of Demers deal are unknown, but (Brodie) Reid inked a two-way contract that comes with a $650,000 annual cap hit at the NHL level, according to Cap Geek."

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What's the deal on compliance buy outs? Is it just for this season or every season? I can see this yet again backfiring on the owners

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
1.5M for demers... hmmm, seems a little expensive to me, but I guess if he picks up his game, then it's OK. For 1.5M though, it seems likely that he will be a more important part of the blueline this upcoming year. I would guess this likely means that burns will remain up front.

At least the 1 year deal keeps him (like wingels, and sheppard) as an RFA next year. Maybe the hold up with galiardi is that dougie wants another 1 year deal to keep him as an RFA, but TJ wants 2, so he can maximize the UFA years. I wonder if demers' dollars implies that TJ will get at least 1.5 or more. I hope not...

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What's the deal on compliance buy outs? Is it just for this season or every season? I can see this yet again backfiring on the owners

They are available this offseason and next. You don't use them you loose them.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1.5M for demers... hmmm, seems a little expensive to me, but I guess if he picks up his game, then it's OK. For 1.5M though, it seems likely that he will be a more important part of the blueline this upcoming year. I would guess this likely means that burns will remain up front.

At least the 1 year deal keeps him (like wingels, and sheppard) as an RFA next year. Maybe the hold up with galiardi is that dougie wants another 1 year deal to keep him as an RFA, but TJ wants 2, so he can maximize the UFA years. I wonder if demers' dollars implies that TJ will get at least 1.5 or more. I hope not...

Or they trade galliardis rights to Chicago for bolland then sign Derek Roy

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I Kinda wish the sharks used the buyout on Burish. That guy for virtually 2M is a joke. That was terribad signing up there with the zues one, and at least now they have chance to reclaim that important salary cap space for no cap penalty and just about 500k a year for the next 6 years, which is basically nothing.

Right now, the sharks have 3.6M in cap space and need 1 backup goalie, galiardi resigned (likely 1.5M I guess), and I guess 1 or 2 other depth forwards. Firgure with galiardi +Stalock, they will have only about 1.5M left. But, the LTIR relief from havlat coupled with a burish compliance buyout would give dougie several million to lay with (maybe upwards of 6M if you figure 1.5 leftover+2M Burish+ 2.5 Havlat if hes out half the year). 6M is more than enough to land a solid top 6 forward. Even Vinny L probably wont get that much. the sharks obviously need more scoring up front and Burish didnt help much even when he was in the lineup playing just 10 mins/gm, and the stat breakdown shows that he was pretty awful 5 on 5 and thats against the lowest opponent lines. His PK job was reasonable, but I think that was more a function of Larry Robinson than personnel as Burish obviously did not singlehandedly revolutionize the PK. Dougie needs to land some real scoring depth this offseason if he wants to make a legit run at it. Actually, ironically, the Havlat injury, if he comes back healthy in the second half,could actually allow dougie a better team come PO time with the 2.5M in LTIR relief.

with all the compliance buyouts, what was looking like a really thin offseason is getting much more interesting in terms of depth players. Lecavalier is of course the big name, but richards might be out there too in time. Im not advocating dougie go overpay for those guys, but it makes some teams that might have bid on a raymond, stalberg, ribeiro, ryder, horton, or bozak think twice. And the brand names available this year also big. Iginla might look nice in teal at a discount as might patrick elias. Obviously those would be short term deals designed to make one last pitch, but it might be nice to land some guys like that looking for one last chance. Iggy particularly could really be worth a shot and might flourish with a guy like jumbo on his line. its not that common that such big names are out there and who knows what else will be. This is actually turning into a solid summer for short-term shopping if dougie wants to make another stab at it with his aging core.