• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013-2014 Offseason Speculation

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Cmon,

Since Havlat will need to have surgery and possibly his recovery time will be long, can't the Sharks put Havlat on a long term injured reserve and save cap space? Would that cap space provide us with some more room? :think:

If Doug could land a a solid RW & LW UFA, then the Sharks would be adding another top player in Havlat once he recovers. That would be awesome if the Sharks could add a HEALTHY HAVLAT during the middle or around the trade deadline next se ason.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hey Cmon,

Since Havlat will need to have surgery and possibly his recovery time will be long, can't the Sharks put Havlat on a long term injured reserve and save cap space? Would that cap space provide us with some more room? :think:

If Doug could land a a solid RW & LW UFA, then the Sharks would be adding another top player in Havlat once he recovers. That would be awesome if the Sharks could add a HEALTHY HAVLAT during the middle or around the trade deadline next se ason.

He could be put on LTIR which would provide some cap relief but if you replace him with a high priced UFA you're going to have to move out salary equal to Havlat's prorated remaining salary when he's ready to return.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking over the list of UFA wingers, it is not a deep pool. This does not bode well for the Sharks as they would have to overpay to lure someone to SJ.

Nathan Horton (probably top UFA winger)
Michael Ryder (old)
Iginla (old, overpriced)
Clarke MacArthur
Brenden Morrow (old)
Valteri Filpulla (gonna get $paid$)
Viktor Stalberg
Danny Cleary (old)
David Clarkson (solid for bottom 6)

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looking over the list of UFA wingers, it is not a deep pool. This does not bode well for the Sharks as they would have to overpay to lure someone to SJ.

Nathan Horton (probably top UFA winger)
Michael Ryder (old)
Iginla (old, overpriced)
Clarke MacArthur
Brenden Morrow (old)
Valteri Filpulla (gonna get $paid$)
Viktor Stalberg
Danny Cleary (old)
David Clarkson (solid for bottom 6)

Danny Briere too

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danny Briere too

Ah yeah just got bought out. Clutch guy when it counts in the playoffs, but is old. It seems like besides Horton, Macarthur, Stalberg, and Filpula, everyone else is a mid 30 something player and would not be a multi year solution as a scoring winger. Someone that can grow with the team as Couture, Hertl, Pavs(?), Burns begin to take over the reigns.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is as many as 15 teams will be interested in him.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our forward addition will be Hertl with Nieto also a possibility.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Per Kurz - contract talks are underway to re-sign Alex Stalock. A good sign Greiss won't be back. Not really ground breaking news but it's good to see Stalock get his chance.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Per Kurz - contract talks are underway to re-sign Alex Stalock. A good sign Greiss won't be back. Not really ground breaking news but it's good to see Stalock get his chance.

stalock did not impress me in his limited playing last season. Hopefully nemo dosnt get hurt, because I am far from sold that Stalock can handle significant playing time. Griess, I trust well, but I suppose it's not all that important. With the current roster, the PO's are pretty likely barring major injury.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
stalock did not impress me in his limited playing last season. Hopefully nemo dosnt get hurt, because I am far from sold that Stalock can handle significant playing time. Griess, I trust well, but I suppose it's not all that important. With the current roster, the PO's are pretty likely barring major injury.

Ummm he didn't even get a start last season do how did you see anything? He came in for injury relief for Nemo after bring out for a year with a rehab than promptly cane to SJ to sit, your judging a guys career on 42 minutes? Give Me a fucking break

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ummm he didn't even get a start last season do how did you see anything? He came in for injury relief for Nemo after bring out for a year with a rehab than promptly cane to SJ to sit, your judging a guys career on 42 minutes? Give Me a fucking break

His positioning was awful. Maybe he was nervous, maybe excited, but his angles were off, he was overcommiting to plays, and just didnt look all that great. its true though that i am not judging him entirely, I just wasnt that impressed and his numbers in worcester arent that stellar either. .908, .907, and .912 save % in 3 years in worcester is not awful, but its underwhelming, particularly since of course, the shooters and passing in the AHL is far inferior to the NHL. So I was beginning to judge based on his several years in the AHL and his brief stint here.

Youre right though, it's obviously not enough to judge, so i suppose we'll see. i was just saying that I liked what I saw of griess, and I kinda wish he had gotten more a chance.

Also, stalock is basically 26, so he is far from a youngin', so its not like he is necessarily the future in nets. Hell be a UFA within the next year or two.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
His positioning was awful. Maybe he was nervous, maybe excited, but his angles were off, he was overcommiting to plays, and just didnt look all that great. its true though that i am not judging him entirely, I just wasnt that impressed and his numbers in worcester arent that stellar either. .908, .907, and .912 save % in 3 years in worcester is not awful, but its underwhelming, particularly since of course, the shooters and passing in the AHL is far inferior to the NHL. So I was beginning to judge based on his several years in the AHL and his brief stint here.

Youre right though, it's obviously not enough to judge, so i suppose we'll see. i was just saying that I liked what I saw of griess, and I kinda wish he had gotten more a chance.

Also, stalock is basically 26, so he is far from a youngin', so its not like he is necessarily the future in nets. Hell be a UFA within the next year or two.

The difference in the speed of the game and even in practice from the AHL to the NHL is huge, Sean Burke made comments about it to the one year he spent there after being in the NHL, its a huge adjustment.

Worscester is not a good team overall, his numbers are going to suffer add to the fact he as out with that sliced nerve for a year only played a handful of games in the Ahl and came up to san jose to practice and open the gate.

26 for a goalie is young, the kid is nails and likely will end up being a Kipper situation all over again, of course he may never fully recover from that nerve injury either.

Ive always liked griess, great mobility but plays small, tends to overcomitt on big lateral pushes, but that can be attributed to lack of playing time. But his career peak is probably like Johan Hedberg

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:think:....... The Montreal Canadiens have informed defenceman Tomas Kaberle that he will be the team's second and final compliance buyout........would it be worth it, if Doug were to inquire?

:think: Nice mobile left handed shot on the blueline, hmmmm?

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
:think:....... The Montreal Canadiens have informed defenceman Tomas Kaberle that he will be the team's second and final compliance buyout........would it be worth it, if Doug were to inquire?

:think: Nice mobile left handed shot on the blueline, hmmmm?

No. That is all...

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hopefully we get some good into from the pre-draft media scrum today.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wilson confirms that Havlat had pelvic surgery (aka Sports Hernia). No timetable for his return. Six months is the typical recovery time.