• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013-2014 Offseason Speculation

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson confirms that Havlat had pelvic surgery (aka Sports Hernia). No timetable for his return. Six months is the typical recovery time.

Not if vaginal reconstruction was involved. OK, sorry, just couldn't resist. :suds:

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wilson confirms that Havlat had pelvic surgery (aka Sports Hernia). No timetable for his return. Six months is the typical recovery time.

Does this make the compliance buyout impossible? It clearly makes a trade virtually impossible since who is gunna want a guy like him who cant even play until likely november or december at the earliest?

is dougie just stuck with this bum?

If he is known to be on IR, can dougie remain above the cap?

man havlat is such a drag on the team.... The sharks arent that far from being legit, but they need at least couple scoring wingers, but if havlat's 5M isnt available, then it's practically impossible.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Does this make the compliance buyout impossible? It clearly makes a trade virtually impossible since who is gunna want a guy like him who cant even play until likely november or december at the earliest?

is dougie just stuck with this bum?

If he is known to be on IR, can dougie remain above the cap?

man havlat is such a drag on the team.... The sharks arent that far from being legit, but they need at least couple scoring wingers, but if havlat's 5M isnt available, then it's practically impossible.

Yes, it takes away any possibility of a compliance buy out.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not if vaginal reconstruction was involved. OK, sorry, just couldn't resist. :suds:

Funny thing about this, he underwent bi-lateral pelvic floor reconstruction, which is a procedure more commonly done to women after child birth.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, hope for a speedy recovery Havlat. Maybe Doug will pay the doctors to somehow turn Havlat into the bionic man. :laugh:

Reefer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it takes away any possibility of a compliance buy out.

This does mean though that he will start on LTIR right? That should give them a little extra cap room? I may be understanding the rules on that incorrectly.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if they try to park him the entire upcoming season. That way they could use the cap space all year right?

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sharks F Havlat no longer potential buyout candidate

Wilson said a decision would likely be made next week on where Burns will play next season. The Sharks currently have more depth at defence but there could be a major hole for a power-play defenceman when Dan Boyle is eligible to be an unrestricted free agent next summer.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into this but I find the timing of when the decision will be made about Burns curious. Coming immediately after the draft? Maybe Wilson is seriously considering moving Boyle at the draft and Burns' position next year will depend on if he does.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sharks F Havlat no longer potential buyout candidate

Perhaps I'm reading too much into this but I find the timing of when the decision will be made about Burns curious. Coming immediately after the draft? Maybe Wilson is seriously considering moving Boyle at the draft and Burns' position next year will depend on if he does.

Well if he lands a powerforward great, i hope Nathan Horton isnt his idea as a burns replacement

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well if he lands a powerforward great, i hope Nathan Horton isnt his idea as a burns replacement

Not a fan of Horton either. He's one dimensional and is going to be severly over paid.

I don't really know what Boyle would return, especially at the draft. I would hope for a mid 1st round pick and a solid young forward but that may be a bit of a reach value wise.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This does mean though that he will start on LTIR right? That should give them a little extra cap room? I may be understanding the rules on that incorrectly.

Starting off the season on LTIR is all going to depend on his recovery time. I've read a few statements from other athletes that have had this same surgery. Some said they were good to go in as little as 8 weeks while others said it took 10 months before they were pain free again.

Cap calculating for LTIR is one of the hardest things to understand and not easy to explain on a messageboard. Basically it doesn't provide much cap relief unless he is out the entire year. If Havlat is going to come back mid year then the team has to budget for that as they are required to be compliant with the standard $64.3m again upon his return.

Basic rule of thumb for LTIR cap relief: To avoid cap hell upon the LTIR player returning, the player signed to replace him should have an average annual cap hit equal to or less than the accrued cap relief. Havlat's average annual cap hit is $5.0m. If you expect him to miss exactly half the season then you can sign a player with an average annual cap hit of $2.5m and not have issues upon Havlat's return to the line up.

Reefer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting off the season on LTIR is all going to depend on his recovery time. I've read a few statements from other athletes that have had this same surgery. Some said they were good to go in as little as 8 weeks while others said it took 10 months before they were pain free again.

Cap calculating for LTIR is one of the hardest things to understand and not easy to explain on a messageboard. Basically it doesn't provide much cap relief unless he is out the entire year. If Havlat is going to come back mid year then the team has to budget for that as they are required to be compliant with the standard $64.3m again upon his return.

Basic rule of thumb for LTIR cap relief: To avoid cap hell upon the LTIR player returning, the player signed to replace him should have an average annual cap hit equal to or less than the accrued cap relief. Havlat's average annual cap hit is $5.0m. If you expect him to miss exactly half the season then you can sign a player with an average annual cap hit of $2.5m and not have issues upon Havlat's return to the line up.

That actually makes a lot of sense the way you explained it. That should give DW a little help in obtaining a player for the 3rd line if he is going to be out for half the season.

Regarding the Burns decision. Could it also be seeing what happens on the trade market, possibly for Letang? I would expect them to know there are not going to be any big moves for FA, so after the draft makes sense. I would love it if they found a Boyle replacement and felt comfortable leaving Burns at forward. I think he would be great on D too, but knowing he already fits at forward, it would be nice not to have to replace him upfront.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sheppard (one year) and Desjardins (two years) have re-signed. No $$$ amount yet.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wonder if shep chose the 1 year deal in hopes of having a break out season

That would be a reasonable assumption IMO.

Kurz also saying Wilson expects to have more re-signings to announce by the weekend.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be a reasonable assumption IMO.

Kurz also saying Wilson expects to have more re-signings to announce by the weekend.

:think:......so does that mean Galiardi, Demers, Stalock, Hannan, Gomez will be signing deals?

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
:think:......so does that mean Galiardi, Demers, Stalock, Hannan, Gomez will be signing deals?

Stalock and Demers would be the best bets I think. Galiardi I think is going to take a bit longer given the role he played down the stretch. I don't see Hannan being re-signed and I doubt Gomez returns to play 4th line center.