• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 College Football / 2013 NFL Draft

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
After watching WVU's game this weekend I'm convinced that Geno Smith will be the #1 overall pick when it's all said and done in 2013. I still have Tyler Wilson as the better prospect, but Smith is the flashier player, and a good prospect in his own right. Definitely more worthy of the #1 overall pick than Matt Barkley. Right now as far as QBs are concerned it's Wilson and Smith and then everyone else.

I still think Barkley will be that pick when it's all said and done with. Geno could certainly be in the conversation (top 5 consideration). I recall seeing one or two mocks already projecting Geno at # 1. However, I don't see a team ranked 32nd in the league taking such a huge of a gamble in passing up on a pure passer such as Barkley for Geno. Other than Barkley the player that will be in conversation as the top overall pick is Mingo. Margus Hunt has been extemely disappointing and now I don't see him even landing in the 3rd round. He looked so boring in the last game I saw him played. Granted it wasn't a full game...still it was awful.

With all that said, if the Cards end up with Geno, I would be very worried:
Updated 2013 NFL Mock Draft: Who's After Matt Barkley? | Bleacher Report

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I still think Barkley will be that pick when it's all said and done with. Geno could certainly be in the conversation (top 5 consideration). I recall seeing one or two mocks already projecting Geno at # 1. However, I don't see a team ranked 32nd in the league taking such a huge of a gamble in passing up on a pure passer such as Barkley for Geno. Other than Barkley the player that will be in conversation as the top overall pick is Mingo. Margus Hunt has been extemely disappointing and now I don't see him even landing in the 3rd round. He looked so boring in the last game I saw him played. Granted it wasn't a full game...still it was awful.

Of all the players I've watched at least twice so far this year, he's been one of the most underwhelming players in relation to where the general consensus have had him. I did not see him against Stephen F. Austin 2+ weeks ago, though.

He's only been playing football for three years after coming over from Estonia where he was a track athlete. He's considered an athletic stud, freak, etc.. I have yet to see that very much on the field in terms of how it translates to football. He appears to be slow in space, doesn't chase plays down very well from behind, gets caught up and lost in trash too much, and doesn't seem to be around the ball very much. He almost looks like he's constantly thinking too much or that he doesn't know what he's supposed to do sometimes because he's so slow. I think he could stand to get stronger as well. Speaking less seriously now. He runs upright and is as goofy looking running as I've seen any player run in a while.

When they air Bill Parcells' draft special around April, I'll be interested to see where he ends up placing him on his value board. He strikes me as a Bill Parcells developmental type of player. I fall in love with the type of players Bill Parcells generally favors, but I'll be interested to see what happens with Hunt and what Parcells' opinion of him is as time goes on.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Margus Hunt is horrible, but there's a lot of talk that he'll blow up the combine. I agree with Chris, I haven't seen that athleticism on the field yet.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Margus Hunt is horrible, but there's a lot of talk that he'll blow up the combine. I agree with Chris, I haven't seen that athleticism on the field yet.

Yes, Pozz basically shed more light to the issue in terms of what I suspected of him. The thing about it is, as Pozz pointed out, he's a track guy and yet he doesn't look fluid at all when running as if he's uncomfortable wearing pads. I just now realized he's a bit old too (well in comparison to the other top prospects); and that's a huge turnoff for me when evaluating any prospects. The reason why I liked Anthony Davis a little bit when he was coming out was because he was so much younger in comparison to the other guys playing his position. So he had the biggest upside from that standpoint. Hunt is in his mid 20s already and should be in his NFL prime right now and yet he's playing so bad.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So I'm not quite as high on William Gholston as most. He looks like a 2nd rounder to me.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I'm not quite as high on William Gholston as most. He looks like a 2nd rounder to me.

He's been underwhelming. Actually, I'm a little underwhelmed by a lot of the DL that were supposed to be studs. Only a select few have really stood out to me.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Whad'ya think of the big ol' NT John Jenkins for Georgia? He was impressive in a few pass plays this weekend, and he's not like some of the other DL in that there'd be no way the Niners get 'em.

I've been underwhelmed by some of the pass rushing DEs, but I'm more interested in the Niners finding another Justin Smith or Ray McDonald in this coming draft (or the guy I wanted 'em to take in '08: Calalias Campbel). I say keep that DL strong. They need depth at OLB too, but I'd like to see another fierce 270-300 pounder.

Last edited by a moderator:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like him better than Dontari Poe last year, but I wasn't high on Poe at all. He's obviously not as athletic, but is a better football player. Also moves pretty well for his size.

The only DL that I've been really impressed with so far in terms of being legitimate first round picks are Mingo, Richardson (even though he's an idiot), and Hankins. But it's still early.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I actually like him better than Dontari Poe last year, but I wasn't high on Poe at all. He's obviously not as athletic, but is a better football player. Also moves pretty well for his size.

The only DL that I've been really impressed with so far in terms of being legitimate first round picks are Mingo, Richardson (even though he's an idiot), and Hankins. But it's still early.

I do like me some Hankins. He even looks good playing DE. Dude's a monster. I didn't know he was an idiot though...

What about Sam Montgomery? I had him slightly ahead of Mingo last year. do you think Mingo proven to be better? I've only seen a little bit of LSU this season, and they lined up Lavar Edwards at RDE a lot.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think in general this DL class is gonna look much better in shorts at the combine than they do on the field, aside from a few like the ones I mentioned earlier.

Everyone knows about Mingo as his speed off the edge. Richardson is one of the more athletic DTs I've watched. He was a KR in high school. You can see that speed when he chases downs RBs and WRs down the field. Just a really, really good player. But from what I've read about him and from him he seems like a dumbass. His talent is hard to overlook, though.

Margus Hunt was already mentioned. Also Dion Jordan will look much better in shorts and I don't think he plays anywhere near how athletic he'll look at the combine.

Last edited by a moderator:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do like me some Hankins. He even looks good playing DE. Dude's a monster. I didn't know he was an idiot though...

What about Sam Montgomery? I had him slightly ahead of Mingo last year. do you think Mingo proven to be better? I've only seen a little bit of LSU this season, and they lined up Lavar Edwards at RDE a lot.

Ugh, I want to like Montgomery, but he hasn't given me a reason to yet. He's added weight this off season, and I think it shows. Even though Mingo hasn't posted Montgomery's numbers, I think at this point he's head and shoulders a better prospect.

Richardson is the idiot, not Hankins.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Random thoughts...

My unrealistic dream is that Justin Hunter declares for the draft. He'd be an idiot if he did & probably won't, but I'd love it because he might last until the Niners pick because nobody knows how he'd do after the injury. It'd be a huge gamble 'cause of that knee...

One of my early favourites is Tyler Eifert. I think I like him better than I liked Coby Fleener. I LOVE his ability to spot the ball, and I think he's fearless. He's around Fleener's size (maybe a little bigger; the Fleen was 247). It would be nice to have 2 great TEs like the Pats do. However, I'd love one truly great WR more.

Kawann Short might be possible. Not sure if he's a NT or a 4-3 guy, but I like him a lot. Dude's a great run stuffer, and he moves well.

I'd spend a 1st on Marcus Lattimore if he's there. He's not getting as much hype as he used to.

I'd be tempted to take DJ Fluker & make him a RG. Boone is doing well there, so it probably wouldn't be a great idea. But Fluker could be an unreal RG like Leonard Davis used to be.

I want Khaled Holmes in the 2nd round. C is the weakest position on offense IMO. Maybe #1 WR, but probably C.

There aren't any guys who would be DEs in the Niners' scheme who jump out at me except Bjorn Werner, but he's not a special enough player for whom I'd want the Niners to tarde up. He's a terror in college, but I'd only trade up for a player of the caliber of Hankins, Kennen Allen or a QB the Niners loved (top 10 locks notwithstanding). Niners would probably have to go to FA for DE depth.

I'd consider taking Brandon Jenkins somewhere around the late 2nd to 3rd round. Never thought he was the elite player people touted him to be, but he could pose good value later. Niners need depth at OLB.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Random thoughts...

My unrealistic dream is that Justin Hunter declares for the draft. He'd be an idiot if he did & probably won't, but I'd love it because he might last until the Niners pick because nobody knows how he'd do after the injury. It'd be a huge gamble 'cause of that knee...

I'll speak on the one prospect I know, but disagree with the risk factor. He'll have played a whole year and he's looked good so far. Barring another injury or drop in play; if he comes out, he'll be gone in top 15.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He's been underwhelming. Actually, I'm a little underwhelmed by a lot of the DL that were supposed to be studs. Only a select few have really stood out to me.

Not the NTs though, Clyde? I think they are hold their fair share of hype they were entering the season with. But I agree with you overall with your assessment on that.

I know he wouldn't play DL for us but a guy I am really disappointing in not seeing play this year is Ronald Powell of Florida. Dude is out for the entire year and he was a guy I was very intruiged about somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd round. Aint no way I would draft him that high without having seen how he has developed in that position from last year to this year.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walter Football has Geno Smith being picked at #10 right now in their mock.

2013 NFL Mock Draft - WalterFootball.com

I believe they had him as a 2nd rounder before this NCAA season began.

The Rams missed out on Justin Blackmon a few months ago. As the Jaguars traded ahead of them, Jeff Fisher reportedly slammed his glasses on the table. He went on to draft Brian Quick and Chris Givens, but neither has shown any signs of become a starting receiver in the NFL. Quick hasn't even been active. Keenan Allen obviously has a much better chance of becoming a legitimate No. 1 target for Sam Bradford.

I didn't know that, but i find that to be hilarious. I'm really glad they didn't get him to go along with their long list of top draft picks.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Random thoughts...

One of my early favourites is Tyler Eifert. I think I like him better than I liked Coby Fleener. I LOVE his ability to spot the ball, and I think he's fearless. He's around Fleener's size (maybe a little bigger; the Fleen was 247). It would be nice to have 2 great TEs like the Pats do. However, I'd love one truly great WR more.

Kawann Short might be possible. Not sure if he's a NT or a 4-3 guy, but I like him a lot. Dude's a great run stuffer, and he moves well.

I'd spend a 1st on Marcus Lattimore if he's there. He's not getting as much hype as he used to.

I'd be tempted to take DJ Fluker & make him a RG. Boone is doing well there, so it probably wouldn't be a great idea. But Fluker could be an unreal RG like Leonard Davis used to be.

I want Khaled Holmes in the 2nd round. C is the weakest position on offense IMO. Maybe #1 WR, but probably C.

There aren't any guys who would be DEs in the Niners' scheme who jump out at me except Bjorn Werner, but he's not a special enough player for whom I'd want the Niners to tarde up. He's a terror in college, but I'd only trade up for a player of the caliber of Hankins, Kennen Allen or a QB the Niners loved (top 10 locks notwithstanding). Niners would probably have to go to FA for DE depth.

I'd consider taking Brandon Jenkins somewhere around the late 2nd to 3rd round. Never thought he was the elite player people touted him to be, but he could pose good value later. Niners need depth at OLB.

Brandon Jenkins I like a lot at where you are projecting him. However, I would rather have Michael Johnson (Cincinnati Bengals) on our team to play OLB than add Jenkins. I strongly believe that Johnson is due to be a FA next year. Or was it Everson Griffen?! I think it's Johnson - and I'd give Johnson slightly-a-lil-bitty-more than what we are currently paying Parys. A combination of Johnson/Aldon/Brooks would drive opposing offenses nuts. I've been a huge Johnson supporter ever since he entered the league. He and Griffen could make our D that much scarier. In the draft I want to target an impact player at the FS position and the NT position as well in the early rounds. I want to go in 2013 with Crabtree/Jenkins/Mario/Williams as our main WRs. As a 1st round pick, Jenkins needs to find his way as a starter alongside Crabtree. We would then evaluate him to determine if we need to draft a WR in the early rounds of 2014. At the moment, I am refraining from looking at that position in 2013. My focus now is NT/FS/OLB/OG/. Having a true space eating NT would make our LB unit unfair to try to handle.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll speak on the one prospect I know, but disagree with the risk factor. He'll have played a whole year and he's looked good so far. Barring another injury or drop in play; if he comes out, he'll be gone in top 15.

I think Hunter is gone after this year.

This WR class looks pretty good overall, as well - depending on who declares.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Michael Johnson huh?

I like him too, but I think he'd be pretty expensive for a backup / situational OLB. He's a guy who should be able to get a pretty decent contract IMO. If I had to guess, I'd say 5 million a season.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think Hunter is gone after this year.

Maybe you're right; I might be thinking in 2010 terms, not in 2013 terms when top 10 picks made obscene money.

I really hope he comes out because I think he'd be a top 7 or so pick if he goes back. He'd be a guy for whom I'd love the Niners to trade up. He, Hankins, Allen, etc.